Official Reading thread

GNR 1991

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "gnr management" is going to be accepting anything they can get from here on out.

yes you are right, after countless riots, cancellations and no shows, its this one actually showed, plug pulled that will doom axl and the band :rolleyes:

ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE!

I think the riots, cancellations and no shows happened when they were still relevant. This was actually a festival where people went to see several bands. Those that went to see Axl's band got a raw deal. That's getting to be a smaller and smaller percentage of the population. I'd guess for those that endured the rain and the mud all day that "ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE".

I think "gnr management" is going to be accepting anything they can get from here on out.

yes you are right, after countless riots, cancellations and no shows, its this one actually showed, plug pulled that will doom axl and the band :rolleyes:

ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE!

I think the riots, cancellations and no shows happened when they were still relevant. This was actually a festival where people went to see several bands. Those that went to see Axl's band got a raw deal. That's getting to be a smaller and smaller percentage of the population. I'd guess for those that endured the rain and the mud all day that "ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE".

2 in 2002. a number of cancellations in 06 including the portland "no drinking" noshow.

gnr were hardly the biggest band in the world at that point. according to some they were already a huge joke.

i dont see how 2010 is any different. if they got away with it in 02,06, they can get away with it now.

and by they i of course mean axl.

Edited by Jackie Moon

ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE!

2 in 2002.

gnr were hardly the biggest band in the world at that point. according to some they were already a huge joke.

i dont see how 2010 is any different.

Yeah, but I think people still had hope back then. The shows in 2006 were pretty amazing, but I'd say now it's turned back int a joke and then some. Especially since the release of the album. While I think it's a great album, the way it was received and what's transpired since has kind of solidified any negative opinions.

ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE!

2 in 2002.

i dont see how 2010 is any different.

Yeah, but I think people still had hope back then. The shows in 2006 were pretty amazing, but I'd say now it's turned back int a joke and then some. Especially since the release of the album. While I think it's a great album, the way it was received and what's transpired since has kind of solidified any negative opinions.

i really liked the 06 band because of 06 axl (fucking awesome) but this 10' band is much better.

i do agree the 02/06 eras have an air of mystique that is now missing, but i think the show will go on.

Edited by Jackie Moon

I was there...

No Queens of the Stone age ended their set at around 9:10 ish, so Axl has no excuse there for being late. The show was 1 hour late, as reported, but unlike newspapers seem to suggest I thought it was fantastic and quite frankly GN'R blew every band on the main stage (with the possible exception of the Lostprofits who were very good) away. The vocals were fantastic and the guitar work was amazing, especially Fortus's solo, Wow! All the Chinese D song were great and imo the best songs sung by Axl, Sorry was especially good live (I'm no fan of the studio version). All in all, whilst yes I would have liked Axl to be on time and the show to have gone on longer (DJ was attempting to play Better at the start of the encore, but as you all know that didn't work) it was great and I can't wait to see them again

EDIT: Can I just say This I love, holy shit that was amazing, best song of the night, and no they were not getting booed every song and yes the crowd remaining at the end were loving it

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

guys i was at the show last night. am on the train to leeds now so gonna make it quick. the previous band did not finish at 9.45, they finished at about 8.45, guns's stage was all set up by about 9.35, the band didnt show till half 10. bumblefoot was at the side of the stage all the time, you could see he was trying to get things going. he even went over to one of the mikes at one point, as if to say something, but instead said nothing and left. The band finally came on, not to the greatest reaction ever, lots of 'we want slash' chants (including at the start of richards solo), but eventually they were won around, the cancellation took everyone by suprise, the crowd was cheering axl and guns on for a good half hour, ron even got an acoustic guitar out and tried to play for a bit! i think the reading promotors were very OTT, as the alternative stage was still going for over an hour after guns had to quit!, i just hope Axl does have enough respect to still play leeds tomorrow night, but we shall see....

Wait, wait, wait?! What happened? GNR not at Leeds? Is that the only cancellation? Why? Did they have to end the show early?

Please someone fill me in, I don't want to read back on those 40 pages! :)

GNR had the plug pulled on them before the encore because they were after curfew ( due to them starting hours late) and Axl said over a megaphone that they would not be at Leeds (he was angry at the promoters)

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

Can someone please confirm that the previous band ended at 9:35 PM ??

Yes can someone confirm, it changes everything if that is the case

I read it in this forum... don't remember where.

It's incorrect. QOTSA overran their set a little (no more than 15 minutes). Gnr's equipment was apparently set up and ready to go by 9:35-45

Wait, wait, wait?! What happened? GNR not at Leeds? Is that the only cancellation? Why? Did they have to end the show early?

GNR had the plug pulled on them before the encore because they were after curfew ( due to them starting hours late) and Axl said over a megaphone that they would not be at Leeds (he was angry at the promoters)

Thank you!

Yeah, great, another trainwreck of a show. Well done... <_<

megaphone cancellation

they came on an hour-ish late

plug got pulled at midnight when they went off before encore

they came back on and kicked off a bit

they played paradise city with no power with axl singing a bit thru a megaphone and said they wont be at leeds lol

Being the crafty veteran of English festivals I thought I could offer a little bit of information regarding English festivals especially Leeds and Reading....

In 2002 GnR played only Leeds as part of Leeds/Reading, this was the first time in the history of the dual events that this has happened. Guns decided to do this because the previous week they had played London and R/L allowed them to do this because it was GnR's big comeback gig. At Leeds Guns went on at about 11.30 15-30 minutes AFTER they were due to finish their set. This was a little due to The Prodigy running over but not enough for it to be entirely their fault. Anyway they play the set, Axl mentions that they are supposed to finish and somehow manages to stay on and complete the set close to 2.00am. The festival organiser Melvin Benn organises with the local city council to extend the music curfew way into the night to allow the band to finish. The festival then later suffers riots (which was in no way related to GnR despite what some people might say) and as a result the whole festival site had to move location.

Fast forward 8 years and Guns are announced to play Reading AND Leeds. Melvin Benn says he is excited but also mentions that Guns cannot go past there curfews (11.30 Reading and 11.00 Leeds) so even if they go on late they come off at the same time regardless. He says this is due to the fact that the city councils could literally shut the festival down and it wouldn’t be seen again.

(In my opinion this is totally possible as although Reading is a British institution its is close enough to London for any wealthy promoter to take over the space and start a new festival that all of the London hipsters would come to).

So GnR come on at 10.30pm one hour before they are due to come off and play to a crowd of 16 year olds away from home for the first time. This is a crowd in which I've heard people say they hadn’t heard of Rage Against The Machine or The Smashing Pumpkins, the same crowd that Kings Of Leon the most popular "rock" band in the world at the time became enraged at for only knowing there 3 biggest hits. Guns manage to play until Midnight, which I’m sure Melvin Benn had predicted and had already worked something out with the council to allow and then..... the plug is pulled and the rest as they say is history.

Hope this helps.

Being the crafty veteran of English festivals I thought I could offer a little bit of information regarding English festivals especially Leeds and Reading....

In 2002 GnR played only Leeds as part of Leeds/Reading, this was the first time in the history of the dual events that this has happened. Guns decided to do this because the previous week they had played London and R/L allowed them to do this because it was GnR's big comeback gig. At Leeds Guns went on at about 11.30 15-30 minutes AFTER they were due to finish their set. This was a little due to The Prodigy running over but not enough for it to be entirely their fault. Anyway they play the set, Axl mentions that they are supposed to finish and somehow manages to stay on and complete the set close to 2.00am. The festival organiser Melvin Benn organises with the local city council to extend the music curfew way into the night to allow the band to finish. The festival then later suffers riots (which was in no way related to GnR despite what some people might say) and as a result the whole festival site had to move location.

Fast forward 8 years and Guns are announced to play Reading AND Leeds. Melvin Benn says he is excited but also mentions that Guns cannot go past there curfews (11.30 Reading and 11.00 Leeds) so even if they go on late they come off at the same time regardless. He says this is due to the fact that the city councils could literally shut the festival down and it wouldn’t be seen again.

(In my opinion this is totally possible as although Reading is a British institution its is close enough to London for any wealthy promoter to take over the space and start a new festival that all of the London hipsters would come to).

So GnR come on at 10.30pm one hour before they are due to come off and play to a crowd of 16 year olds away from home for the first time. This is a crowd in which I've heard people say they hadn’t heard of Rage Against The Machine or The Smashing Pumpkins, the same crowd that Kings Of Leon the most popular "rock" band in the world at the time became enraged at for only knowing there 3 biggest hits. Guns manage to play until Midnight, which I’m sure Melvin Benn had predicted and had already worked something out with the council to allow and then..... the plug is pulled and the rest as they say is history.

Hope this helps.

This is all very true, but are you suggesting that someone else other than Benn pulled the plug?

Hope this helps.

This is all very true, but are you suggesting that someone else other than Benn pulled the plug?

Well it was most likely his decision in the end but Im pretty sure you get a big fine every minute over curfew you go, so my guess he was forced by the local authorities to make the decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRQUxDpy8w :thumbsup:

people enjoying it! IT"S SO EASY, EASY...

to be honest the press comment about the crowd leaving in droves is totally untrue, yes some people left, only to return again especially during Sweet Child O' Mine . And much of the crowd loved it (the show), as seen here.