Who else wants to see a return to the industrial direction?

Vincent Vega

I personally would love if the next album turned out being a double album--A true double album, not like the Illusions.

It could be done in Tattoo You format--One side would be more experimental (and thus older, from the Buckethead days) stuff, and the other could be newer and perhaps more traditional Old-GN'R type stuff. 14 songs each, enough to please both old school GN'R fans and fans of the newer, more experimental direction.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely.

"Oh My God" is new Gn'Rs best rock song released second only to Better.

It feels effortless and all the elements don't distract from the song.

Really killer vocals by Axl too. But no more vocal dubs. Shit is gross. Ruined the title track.

It's always been my opinion that the strongest songs of New Guns are the ones with the industrial/danceable bent, or a grungy bent.

"Oh My God" and "Shackler's" are imo the best new GN'R songs, along with Chinese D (the song) and Rhiad. They're the strongest musically AND lyrically, and they seem the most ''alive''--Whereas songs in the older style like Street of Dreams seem somehow forced. I hope, instead of ballads or attempting to do old GN'R style song that the next album is all hard rocking, angry Industrial rock songs. But that's just me. Axl seems to be better now at hard rocking songs than ballads, whereas with the old band, he was the ballad master and the other guys were best at the harder rocking songs. It's ironic too because I actually like VR's ballads more than new GN'R's, but I like new GN'R's harder tracks better than VR's.

Anyone else want more Industrial on the next record?

I agree 100%. Shacklers is NuGuns best song, shortly followed by OMG. It's such a crime that song never made it onto the album.

Edited by Towelie

It's always been my opinion that the strongest songs of New Guns are the ones with the industrial/danceable bent, or a grungy bent.

"Oh My God" and "Shackler's" are imo the best new GN'R songs, along with Chinese D (the song) and Rhiad. They're the strongest musically AND lyrically, and they seem the most ''alive''--Whereas songs in the older style like Street of Dreams seem somehow forced. I hope, instead of ballads or attempting to do old GN'R style song that the next album is all hard rocking, angry Industrial rock songs. But that's just me. Axl seems to be better now at hard rocking songs than ballads, whereas with the old band, he was the ballad master and the other guys were best at the harder rocking songs. It's ironic too because I actually like VR's ballads more than new GN'R's, but I like new GN'R's harder tracks better than VR's.

Id just like to hear the most finalized the album sounded under sean beavan and tom zutaut,

after that there probably was like 5 years or so of just nothing happening and fucking around. pathetic..

I think strategically, they need to make a straight up kick ass hard rock album. Great riffs, solos, and shredding vocals.

I want to hear the industrial stuff. I bought the End of Days soundtrack and I listened to Oh My God like 20 times in a row. It was addicting. For me, the song was magic. I very rarely ever have that. A lot of people didn't like it though. It was too much for them. But people would have gotten used to it. I also loved Silkworms and all the ambient electronic sound during the the song. That was some beautiful, powerful stuff. They really should have gone in the direction they desired, but at this point, I don't know if they should.

The trend should be to steer clear of any and all "industrial tracks" at all. Sorry but GnRs best sound has always been in its blues based rock. Its where true GNR is more ...ill use the word "authentic."I believe with Robin gone and Bucketheads avant garde influence not there- that you now have true rockers on the six strings. Facts are the angry at the world Im pissed off songs dont work for Axl...he cant sell them anymore like he did in the 80's and 90's. For all his street urchin roots hes a millionaire living in Malibu driving Ferraris around. Nothing wrong with success like that but the razor sharp is off the blade here. True artists sing from what they know and experience..thats why Appetite is a timeless album..its authentic from note one to note last. Vintage now but timeless.

They have a chance to make some amazing music ..memorable music again. Songs that one will be listening to 20 years from now. Im all for evolving but stick with what worked for millions of people..and leave the pro tools in the shed.

The rest are what sounded forced and manufactured IMO. had Chinese been release like say 1998-1999 then perhaps it would have been more trendy but even in some respects most of those songs were ,by the time it was released.. "retro". Vinatage GNR sound is what makes up most of the shows with a few modern twists .

Yes.

Industrial rock songs with a hard rock spice to it (a hard rocking Bumble guitar layer, like on CD songs).

This.

Wish Finck and Bucket could still do something for the band like Paul Tobias and Brain. They were a huge part of the CD sound. Obviously what they recorded is still available for use. Personally I see Ashba as a downgrade from Finck and Bumble as an equal compared to Bucket.

Yes.

Industrial rock songs with a hard rock spice to it (a hard rocking Bumble guitar layer, like on CD songs).

This.

Wish Finck and Bucket could still do something for the band like Paul Tobias and Brain. They were a huge part of the CD sound. Obviously what they recorded is still available for use. Personally I see Ashba as a downgrade from Finck and Bumble as an equal compared to Bucket.

The guitarist arrangement should be IMO: Bucket, Bumble, and either Ashba or Fortus, with Paul Huge acting as a sort of Wes Arkeen--helping write some awesome songs but not in the band. Finck didn't really contribute all that much to Chinese D and I think he's overrated by a lot of new GN'R fan. Bucket is a different story. Fortus too, hasn't really given me any reason why he's integral to the band and thus he and Ashba are interchangable for me until they show me why they should be in the band.

Regardless, Axl, Tommy, Chris, Dizzy and Paul will always be the core of ''new'' GN'R.

Edited by MetalForever

I think the industrial idea got knocked on the head after OMG was pretty much universally ripped to shreds.

Axl made some "demo" excuses up and the album that came out was hardly "industrial" was it?

Of course any material written and/or recorded by the "original" nu GNR (this shit is confusing sometimes) will potentially have an industrial "feel" somewhere.

But like with CD Ron was asked to add some rythm to get it to sound "warmer" and more GNR-style.

So I'd imagine any leftover stuff from the CD sessions will end up sounding like the CD stuff we already have. Of course there might be a bit of industrial in there, but those hoping to hear a LOT more might be disappointed in my opinion.

Personally I would want them to do what is right for the song.

If the song has an industrial feel in it's heart and was created that way then maybe that's how it should come out.

But there's no point forcing a song into a different sound TOO much so it fits a certain pre-determined idea, songs should grow naturally in my opinon.

LP

Axl + Industrial = BAD ASS SHIT

The maybe true, but the band he's put together now, are more geared towards less industrial music.

I'd like them to try a new direction, see where it takes them. Just write songs as a band and see where it takes them.

I don't think having a rigid idea is particularly good. "let's do industrial music" or let's make "AFD 2" is too constrictive.

Finck didn't really contribute all that much to Chinese D and I think he's overrated by a lot of new GN'R fan.

Ahem -

He played rhythm guitar on every track, did like 6 solos, has writing credits on: the title track, Shackler, Better, SOD, Catcher, Riad, and Prostitute, did keyboards on Better and If The World, and took care of Better production/arrangement basically.

Finck didn't really contribute all that much to Chinese D and I think he's overrated by a lot of new GN'R fan.

Ahem -

He played rhythm guitar on every track, did like 6 solos, has writing credits on: the title track, Shackler, Better, SOD, Catcher, Riad, and Prostitute, did keyboards on Better and If The World, and took care of Better production/arrangement basically.

Better is Robins song isn't it?! Axl added lyrics and the rest of the band added their bits, but the song is Robins idea.

LPII

Ahem -

Better is Robins song isn't it?! Axl added lyrics and the rest of the band added their bits, but the song is Robins idea.

LPII

Yep, that's the picture I got too. It's credited to Axl Rose and Robin Finck.

I sure hope not.

Those songs are what sunk this album from being huge, if you can call selling 5 million albums a failure.

Casual fans got to hear Shacklers.......then got Chinese as a single.......and went "no thanks."

If Better was the first song heard, then followed up by one of the ballads (This I love, Street of Dreams or Prostitute), I think the album would have taken off and been extremely popular.

And I disagree on Rhiad. I don't think it's got an industrial sound to it at all after the beginning intro. I think it's the best rock song on the album, and is severely underrated.

I sure hope not.

Those songs are what sunk this album from being huge, if you can call selling 5 million albums a failure.

Casual fans got to hear Shacklers.......then got Chinese as a single.......and went "no thanks."

If Better was the first song heard, then followed up by one of the ballads (This I love, Street of Dreams or Prostitute), I think the album would have taken off and been extremely popular.

And I disagree on Rhiad. I don't think it's got an industrial sound to it at all after the beginning intro. I think it's the best rock song on the album, and is severely underrated.

I think you have a point regarding the lead single and that hearing that and Shaklers may have put them off, but personally, I love the 'industrial' sounding stuff.