axls sounding a bit rough

stebarker

I think the videos were slightly distorted because of the sound quality of the recording. I guess only the people who were there can really say. Axl was obviously distracted by the incident which is why Jungle was a bit off in a few parts, but I can't blame him for that.

It's hit and miss with Axl in terms of live vocals. That's always been the case. Even on the Illusions tour, some nights he was completely off while others he was on fire. I think it depends on his mood and how warmed up and prepared he is. For example, last night he wasn't running around and stood still the whole time. As a result, his vocals were much stronger.

Sure, we don't want him to always stand still, but last night's performance (though ironic because of why he was standing still) shows he could cut back on the running around a bit and just move around more like he does on a song like Mr. Brownstone (where he just dances around with the mic stand at a moderate pace) in order to save his voice for the more demanding songs. He still has the voice, and he still has the power, it just doesn't always show. As I said, it varies. Overall, he was much stronger during the Canadian leg (judging from what I've listened to so far this leg) but I'm sure we'll witness some more killer performances to come.

Also, it's worth noting that sometimes pro-shot/soundboard recordings reveal more errors than those in the audience actually hear. The sound is much different live than hearing a dry recording of his voice (and the instruments for that matter), so those attending the concerts probably didn't notice as much of a change in his voice from say the Canadian leg to now.

So what? I would rather rougher vocals over something that sounds exactly like the records, myself that's what live is. I wanna hear the pain in the vocals, the hard parts, the cracks etc its what live should be and is generally missing with alot of the pop explosion of late

So what? I would rather rougher vocals over something that sounds exactly like the records, myself that's what live is. I wanna hear the pain in the vocals, the hard parts, the cracks etc its what live should be and is generally missing with alot of the pop explosion of late

A very fair way of looking at it. For those in attendance at the shows, it does add to the live experience to hear voice cracks and things of that nature, as it adds to the authenticity of the performance. Makes it more raw and real. Of course, for us who are listening to a live bootleg it's easy to pick out the bad spots and criticize it. I kind of alluded to this in my above post, but it's always a much different experience for the person who sees the event live. The sound and atmosphere is completely different.

Why are people so excited about Axl running around stage like a mad-man?

I'd rather he ran less, sang better.

I'm not being a smart-ass here, just curious why people get so pumped up because he is running around.

Why are people so excited about Axl running around stage like a mad-man?

I'd rather he ran less, sang better.

I'm not being a smart-ass here, just curious why people get so pumped up because he is running around.

It's like dancing: he expresses himself and his energy through movement. To me, I like musicians that can feel the song and translate it to their own special interpretation of it.

A good example is when Axl came out running at the Freddie Mercury tribute in the end of Bohemian Rhapsody. It gave his performance extra power imo.

A very fair way of looking at it. For those in attendance at the shows, it does add to the live experience to hear voice cracks and things of that nature, as it adds to the authenticity of the performance. Makes it more raw and real. Of course, for us who are listening to a live bootleg it's easy to pick out the bad spots and criticize it. I kind of alluded to this in my above post, but it's always a much different experience for the person who sees the event live. The sound and atmosphere is completely different.

no camera can pick the experience up, I check out videos sure on youtube but I never judge performances based solely on them. The sound at a show cannot be replicated on a video camera. The mix is always shitty, and the people are not in your computer room lol.

He does sound rough. I thought WTTJ at Leeds was awful. He sounded out of breath and missed a ton of spots he really shouldn't be struggling with. The guy just doesn't take care of himself, apparently, it's as simple as that. You have other bands that tour for years and stay in shape physically and vocally. Axl just doesn't do that, I mean it just sounds like the guy goes out partying and drinking in between shows. There's nothing wrong with what you do in your personal life, but if it's affecting your performance for fans that are shelling out serious money to see you perform then it's an issue.

My mate text me straight after Reading saying Street of Dreams vocals were out of this world - yet as someone else pointed out, on the pro-shot they can sound a bit patchy, it is easy to underestimate just how powerful Axls voice actually does come across live at times even if perhaps on a recording it is easy to hear patchy bits.

Axls vocals live are always hit and miss as has been pointed out i personally thought his vocal was at its best in 2006 when he actually looked fit and healthy i think he needs to look after himself if mick jagger,steven tyler etc can still do it live and they have 20 years on him there no reason he cant,if i pay 80 quid for a ticket i want a full on live all singing all dancing show lol,and also saying that its early in the tour is bollox he should be vocal training and actually rehearsing before the tour so when the first date comes up his vocal is at its strongest this is his job and his vocal and image are his tools and he needs to look after that! I fuckin love the guy and followed hima round europe over the last 10 years but in dublin the other night on my home turf o was left bitterly dissapointed (not because of the walk off or lateness) because of his spoit brat attitude in the second half of the show

Axl needs to strip down naked and bust out One in a Million.

And be bottled yet again and get crucified by the press yet again? Not sure he's up for that but I do wonder what his thoughts would be on playing that song live now.

Axl needs to strip down naked and bust out One in a Million.

And be bottled yet again and get crucified by the press yet again? Not sure he's up for that but I do wonder what his thoughts would be on playing that song live now.

It was being played really loud on O'connell street a couple of hours before the gig :P

In fairness I thought he sang pretty well in Dublin. I think in a live situation

people will settle for vocals that aren't absolutely perfect if they get a good performance

with lots of energy (just look at how positively the crowd responded to Myles Kennedy in Dublin

after he lost his voice)