Why not more illusions songs in the set list?

tange

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has absolutely zero to do with legal issues, as Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff all have writing credits on NR and he still plays that every night.

You can cover any song you want live. Just as there is nothing stopping Slash from playing Civil War every night, there is nothing stopping Axl from doing it.

I think it is just a personal preference thing on Axl's part. To most of the audiences the CD stuff is the obscure stuff they play every night, so to compound that by playing the lesser known obscure stuff from the Illusions would make for a boring show for many of the casual fans.

The only songs I am surprised he doesn't regularly play would be Don't Cry and Civil War. His reasons why he doesn't play them, don't know. However I am pretty sure those are the only 2 songs off those albums not being played that anyone but the most hardcore GNR fans really care about. Estranged is a great studio song, but a snoozer live. 10 minute songs live just don't keep the crowd's attention. NR works, but to add a second one like that would be major over kill.

I agree with all of this (except for Estranged being a snoozer), but I don't think that Slash, Izzy or Duff have writing credits for NR. It says so on Wikipedia and I'm pretty certain that it says that in my UYI 1 booklet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_Rain

Liner notes mean nothing. If you want proper credits, always check ASCAP because that is the legit source and final word as it determines who gets paid.

ASCAP

NOVEMBER RAIN (Title Code: 880038162)

Writers:

HUDSON SAUL

MC KAGAN DUFF ROSE

ROSE W AXL

STRADLIN IZZY

That site has Steven Adler listed in the credits for every AFD song and all four core members listed for every UYI song. Prefer it or not, it's bullshit. Adler had nothing to do with writing the AFD songs. This site just lists who gets paid, not who actually wrote the songs.

If they can play Chinese Democracy, they can play UYI...

That's the only acceptable answer.

Then, a lot of people would complain that the songs aren't played with "the right feel" and that "DJ should stop acting like Slash when he plays Estranged" but there is no way that they *can't* play these two albums...

I mean....they are not that hard, y'know ?

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Dead Horse

Yesterdays

Those two would be good to hear once in a while.

Dead Horse is the one I want the most. I think that song could have been a HUGE hit had it not been surrounded by so many other songs. Its clear to me as i get older that Guns did themselves a disservice releasing so much material at once. Should been three or four albums spread out over 5-6 years. While grunge took attention away Guns would have been right back on top by 1997-1998 when NuMetal came onto the scene. Could have released the snakepit stuff and the older songs on CD (IRS, Prossie, twat)

Back onto the discussion with how they could cut down on the amount of band jams/solos without disrupting the flow of the concert is they could play Double Talkin' Jive. It has a very long outro that I'm sure the band could turn into some epic trio solo off or something. So after Axl has stopped singing (and it's a very easy song to sing) he could then run off stage. Regain his breath for a few minutes whilst the band entertain the crowd with an excellent DTJ band jam.

I also mentioned Don't Cry back earlier in the thread. With Axl only singing the last verse. The crowd sing the beginning (Pearl Jam have done this with Better Man).

Also another idea would be to get Tommy on a cover song like Duff did back in the day.

A set list like this would be much better than what the band currently do (although the band play a f'in great setlist as it is!)

Setlist

01. Chinese Democracy

02. Welcome To The Jungle

03. It's So Easy

04. Mr. Brownstone

05. Sorry

06. Better

07. Richard Fortus Solo (James Bond Theme)

08. Live And Let Die

09. This I Love

10. Rocket Queen

11. Dizzy Reed Solo (Ziggy Stardust) + Street of Dreams

12. You Could Be Mine

13. DJ Ashba Solo (Ballad Of Death)

14. Sweet Child O' Mine

15. Axl Rose Solo (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road / Someone Saved My Life Tonight) + November Rain

16. Bumblefoot Solo (Pink Panther Theme)

17. Double Talkin' Jive (Extended Outro) or Don't Cry (Axl on Last Verse)

18. I.R.S/Shacklers Revenge/There Was A Time

19. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

20. Nightrain

Encore

21. Madagascar/Catcher in the Rye/Scraped

23. Whole Lotta Rosie/Tommy on Cover [optional addition]

24. Band Jam

25. Paradise City

Believe :thumbsup:

Change-ups in the setlist, bolded.

Edited by Guest

Back onto the discussion with how they could cut down on the amount of band jams/solos without disrupting the flow of the concert is they could play Double Talkin' Jive. It has a very long outro that I'm sure the band could turn into some epic trio solo off or something. So after Axl has stopped singing (and it's a very easy song to sing) he could then run off stage. Regain his breath for a few minutes whilst the band entertain the crowd with an excellent DTJ band jam.

I also mentioned Don't Cry back earlier in the thread. With Axl only singing the last verse. The crowd sing the beginning (Pearl Jam have done this with Better Man).

Also another idea would be to get Tommy on a cover song like Duff did back in the day.

A set list like this would be much better than what the band currently do (although the band play a f'in great setlist as it is!)

Setlist

01. Chinese Democracy

02. Welcome To The Jungle

03. It's So Easy

04. Mr. Brownstone

05. Sorry

06. Better

07. Richard Fortus Solo (James Bond Theme)

08. Live And Let Die

09. This I Love

10. Rocket Queen

11. Dizzy Reed Solo (Ziggy Stardust) + Street of Dreams

12. You Could Be Mine

13. DJ Ashba Solo (Ballad Of Death)

14. Sweet Child O' Mine

15. Axl Rose Solo (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road / Someone Saved My Life Tonight) + November Rain

16. Bumblefoot Solo (Pink Panther Theme)

17. Double Talkin' Jive (Extended Outro) or Don't Cry (Axl on Last Verse)

18. I.R.S/Shacklers Revenge/There Was A Time

19. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

20. Nightrain

Encore

21. Madagascar/Catcher in the Rye/Scraped

23. Whole Lotta Rosie/Tommy on Cover [optional addition]

24. Band Jam

25. Paradise City

Believe :thumbsup:

Change-ups in the setlist, bolded.

That's a pretty good setlist idea. I think they would nail Double Talkin Jive.

I suspect that historical perceptions of UYI may have a lot to do with it. For a long time, there were people that insisted UYI wasn't "real" GnR music in much the same way some people insist CD isn't "real" GnR. If Axl is at all sensitive to accusations about authenticity, he may simply not want the current band to be associated with most of the UYI-era stuff.