Why not more illusions songs in the set list?

tange

I was curious why some of you think Axl hasn't included more illusions songs in the setlists the past few tours?

I am of the belief that those albums are highly underrated and Axl in many ways carries that band with his lyrics and melodies.

I know the ballads get most of the attention but I mean seriously Dead Horse and DoubleTJ are right up there with brownstone as far as my favorites. Throw in perfect crime, right next door to hell, pretty tied up,and garden of eden and you've got some badass rockers.

Those songs are not as well known as ISE or brownstone or out ta get me but they are great songs that have tons of energy to keep the fans hopping.

Anyone wanna give me a reason why more of these aren't found in the sets?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Axl looks back on that era very fondly.

If true its too bad because man he was a one man wrecking crew on those albums. I write lyrics for local bands so I'm a real student of that kind of thing and the lyrics on garden of eden and coma are as good as I've ever read

\

your point makes sense though if it was a negative time for him he may not want to relive it. I just realized that the only songs from illusions he does play are those either solely credited to him or to him and izzy.....besides live and let die.

This is the CD tour. :shrug: It'd be awesome if they had a slot in the setlist for one more UYI song a night.

I imagine The Garden would be fantastic live, the rhythm guitar in the Alice Cooper part reminds me of IRS by the way.

Yeah I'm in no way saying play less cd songs, but I think the appetite songs could stand a break.

Yeah I'm in no way saying play less cd songs, but I think the appetite songs could stand a break.

Agree. Brownstone & Out Ta Get Me are pretty boring.

They haven't played OTGM in the longest time.

Please don't anyone take this thread as a " I hate the setlist" thread in disguise. Just think there are some killer songs that don't get played.

I don't think Axl looks back on that era very fondly.

This.

Although Illusions are fantastic albums I think Axl doesn't want to play material from a torrid time in his past. Wasn't it the anniversary of their release yesterday? I would love it if they threw in an Illusion rareity at their next show but that's wishful thinking.

My guess it is a legal issue with the orginal band members.

All the songs they play live off the UYI albums where writen before or during the AFD era, and of course the cover songs have nothing to do with the orginal members. That was a time when GNR was I don't know quiet how to put this but I guess you would say incorporated. I remember reading something to this nature years ago but I can find it so I have nothing to back it up but my word that, I read an acticle that it explained it. It also went on to say they would have to royalities to the orginal band members if the songs are played live and that goes for anyone that was in the band at the time.

I feel we will never here any other UYI songs. If you do a little research on when the songs they play live now from the UYI albums you will fine they where all either covers or written around the time before AFD and before the incorporation or what ever you would call it that accured just before the release of the UYI albums.

Call it BS if you want but I know what I read and it wasn't on a message board it was an actual article.

It's not the UYI tour, perhaps that is why.

Following that logic, it's the AFD/CD tour.

No, it's the Chinese Democracy + some of the greatest hits tour. What can be done if the greatest part of Old GNR hits are from AFD.

I wish they'd play more Rhiad and Shackler's. Both songs are haunting. Gives me the chills.

More Rhiad? You mean any Rhiad...

They play the hits and showcase CD (considering its the CD tour)

dont like it, whatever.

Its gotten to a point where whatever they play people will say something about how they dont like this or that. Axl knows that so he doesnt give a shit (see Puerto Rick rant 2006)

Its the CD tour, really? I had no idea. just wondered if there were personal or legal reasons for not playing them. Its in no way a "change the setlist" rant. I'm not at all those shows so I have no reason to be "bored" with the setlist. Just seems they have about fifteen songs that are awesome that don't get played.

It has absolutely zero to do with legal issues, as Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff all have writing credits on NR and he still plays that every night.

You can cover any song you want live. Just as there is nothing stopping Slash from playing Civil War every night, there is nothing stopping Axl from doing it.

I think it is just a personal preference thing on Axl's part. To most of the audiences the CD stuff is the obscure stuff they play every night, so to compound that by playing the lesser known obscure stuff from the Illusions would make for a boring show for many of the casual fans.

The only songs I am surprised he doesn't regularly play would be Don't Cry and Civil War. His reasons why he doesn't play them, don't know. However I am pretty sure those are the only 2 songs off those albums not being played that anyone but the most hardcore GNR fans really care about. Estranged is a great studio song, but a snoozer live. 10 minute songs live just don't keep the crowd's attention. NR works, but to add a second one like that would be major over kill.

Ask the band members. I just think that AFD is just more known, more popular, and what keeps them in the arenas over theaters. I'd rather see them in theaters playing any damn song they wanted over feeling obligated to give the hits just for the 6 figure check.

The only time publishing or copyrights would even fall into any of it is if GNR decided to put a DVD out. There's a lot of live albums that have excluded songs because it would've cost the band an arm and a leg to put out at that time. But with publishers buying each other out, that's not the case anymore.

Edited by dalsh327

It has absolutely zero to do with legal issues, as Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff all have writing credits on NR and he still plays that every night.

You can cover any song you want live. Just as there is nothing stopping Slash from playing Civil War every night, there is nothing stopping Axl from doing it.

I think it is just a personal preference thing on Axl's part. To most of the audiences the CD stuff is the obscure stuff they play every night, so to compound that by playing the lesser known obscure stuff from the Illusions would make for a boring show for many of the casual fans.

The only songs I am surprised he doesn't regularly play would be Don't Cry and Civil War. His reasons why he doesn't play them, don't know. However I am pretty sure those are the only 2 songs off those albums not being played that anyone but the most hardcore GNR fans really care about. Estranged is a great studio song, but a snoozer live. 10 minute songs live just don't keep the crowd's attention. NR works, but to add a second one like that would be major over kill.

Good points but you can hardly argue that anything other than PC, jungle, nighttrain, and sweet child are all that well known by casual fans. I mean there were videos for Dead Horse and Garden of eden. I would think that those songs have as much visibility to casual fans as think about you, ISE, or out to get me.

My guess it is a legal issue with the orginal band members.

All the songs they play live off the UYI albums where writen before or during the AFD era, and of course the cover songs have nothing to do with the orginal members. That was a time when GNR was I don't know quiet how to put this but I guess you would say incorporated. I remember reading something to this nature years ago but I can find it so I have nothing to back it up but my word that, I read an acticle that it explained it. It also went on to say they would have to royalities to the orginal band members if the songs are played live and that goes for anyone that was in the band at the time.

I feel we will never here any other UYI songs. If you do a little research on when the songs they play live now from the UYI albums you will fine they where all either covers or written around the time before AFD and before the incorporation or what ever you would call it that accured just before the release of the UYI albums.

Call it BS if you want but I know what I read and it wasn't on a message board it was an actual article.

The band can play whatever songs they like, it's nothing to do with royalties. You don't need to pay anyone unless, you're recording and releasing that performance (sync rights etc). Anyone can play anything they want live, you don't see tribute bands kicking up royalties do you?

All of the songs on 'Use your Illusion' were written before or during the 'AFD' era, obviously - when else could they have been written? They were all written, in some form or another before they hit the studio (Civil War was written in 88/89 when they were touring Appetite in Japan, but they don't play that?*) But yet Axl still plays certain tracks from the album, as does Slash, as did Velvet Revolver.

Even Axl has stated that as far as he's aware, they can play whatever they want (see axl forum chats). An exception to this might be if a song or particular recording was involved in some sort of legal action, like Riad, for example.

*They're not playing these songs because they don't want to (yet). Simple.

Edited by axl8302

They play the hits and showcase CD (considering its the CD tour)

dont like it, whatever.

Its gotten to a point where whatever they play people will say something about how they dont like this or that. Axl knows that so he doesnt give a shit (see Puerto Rick rant 2006)

Its the CD tour, really? I had no idea. just wondered if there were personal or legal reasons for not playing them. Its in no way a "change the setlist" rant. I'm not at all those shows so I have no reason to be "bored" with the setlist. Just seems they have about fifteen songs that are awesome that don't get played.

Yup it is the CD tour, like it or not. Which speaks to the fact why there arent more UYI songs.

Its nothing do with legal issues. As far as i know they can play whatever the hell they want.