My World

Vincent Vega

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was funny that Izzy had no idea it was in the album until he got his copy.

That's communication, GN'R style :D

Brain is still in GN'R. Part of me has to assume he knows more that us.

I have a feeling, unless Frank walks, we won't be seeing Brain anytime soon.

I thought it was funny that Izzy had no idea it was in the album until he got his copy.

Izzy wasn't around for the last recording sessions and mixing of the Illusions, according to Slash (or did Axl secretly have a gun to Slash's head making him say that, too?), so it's probable he wouldn't have been there when My World was recorded.

As to Duff being sarcastic, I know you don't WANT Duff to like a song by Axl that you hate--That'd be utterly unthinkable--But considering Duff is very open minded musically, loved music like Prince and Funk for example and was hanging out with the likes of Bodycount and whatnot, I don't see why it's such a stretch to think he may just have really liked it. Just because Duff is friendly with Slash doesn't mean he's as musically close minded as Slash is.

Edited by Indigo Child

I think there's some kind of hip hop influence on CD, I can't put my finger on it but it's there. I was listening to Dre's Kush and it was that intro and outro thing, very similiar to TWAT. and ITW is sort of a beat Eminem would use. Sorry is almost like a Tupac song. I don't know, maybe it's subliminal or maybe I'm just smoking crack but I think the influence is there even if it's not as obvious as My world.

I think the production is very hip hop, very clean clear instrumentation.

I think there's some kind of hip hop influence on CD, I can't put my finger on it but it's there. I was listening to Dre's Kush and it was that intro and outro thing, very similiar to TWAT. and ITW is sort of a beat Eminem would use. Sorry is almost like a Tupac song. I don't know, maybe it's subliminal or maybe I'm just smoking crack but I think the influence is there even if it's not as obvious as My world.

When you brought up Tupac there interestingly it made me think I've always thought of Axl as the rock version of Tupac! They both were very controversial yet very intelligent and articulate. Both are outspoken and always spoke their mind good and bad, their lyrics were brutaly honest, rants in their concerts and both had so much attitude and swagger! I don't know why but when I started watching Axl videos and interviews I immediately thought of Tupac! Anyone else see the similarity??

When you brought up Tupac there interestingly it made me think I've always thought of Axl as the rock version of Tupac! They both were very controversial yet very intelligent and articulate. Both are outspoken and always spoke their mind good and bad, their lyrics were brutaly honest, rants in their concerts and both had so much attitude and swagger! I don't know why but when I started watching Axl videos and interviews I immediately thought of Tupac! Anyone else see the similarity??

Axl and Tupac both have/had the it is just me against the world mindset.

Absolutely I just think they musta been on the same wavelength! I prefer Axl as a performer and writer tho. I wonder if Ax was a fan of 2pac!

Edited by Janis

The difference is...2pac was the voice of an entire people. He was like a black John Lennon.

Edited by Nintari

Absolutely I just think they musta been on the same wavelength! I prefer Axl as a performer and writer tho. I wonder if Ax was a fan of 2pac!

I see Tupac as the Lennon of hip hop, especially that song Changes. and CD is like Axl's Double Fantasy.

I see Tupac as the Lennon of hip hop, especially that song Changes. and CD is like Axl's Double Fantasy.

Way to cop my post there chachi... :lol:

Tupac and John maybe had more universal messages than Axl. Axl's more of an individual struggle songwriter whereas Pac and Lennon tapped into both the individual and the collective. Axl could never write something like Working Class Hero, Imagine, Brenda's Got a Baby or Changes.

Edited by ITW 2012

Sorry didn't see your post.

It's true Axl "needs" to write his Imagine/Changes. I thought Catcher had universal appeal until I found out what it was about, it has more cult appeal which might the universal appeal of the 21st century. Sorry is close to the zeitjest.

It's true Axl "needs" to write his Imagine/Changes. I thought Catcher had universal appeal until I found out what it was about, it has more cult appeal which might the universal appeal of the 21st century. Sorry is close to the zeitjest.

I was just fucking with you. You know what they say about great minds....

And I think the closest thing we've got from Axl that's Lennon like is probably Civil War. Too bad it didn't have the impact of some of Lennon's songs.

Edited by Nintari

I see Civil War as like the War Pigs of the 90s.

I could see Lennon writing stuff like Catcher or Sorry. Axl "should" do a cover of Watching the Wheels.

Catcher struck me as more of a happy Paul sort of track than a John track.

suppose it is it like Hey Jude, just the piano at beginning is like Imagine. I wouldn't really call it happy, it's kind of a sinister, inverted Lennon/McCartney song.