Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Metal Muff. Good call. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'm guessing you're looking something with a hard rock bite. Try the MI áudio crunch box, MXR custom badass '78 distortion or even the BOSS DS-1, it has a nice stock distortion and there's so many mods for it that you will be able to Taylor it to your needs. Now, if you wanna go balls to the wall try the WMD Geiger conter.

Yeah i used to have one which i would run through a Vox Pathfinder15r. Gaudy looking thing but i loved it, had a real warmth ( a little Big Muff at some settings ) compared to alot of gainy pedals i've tried. This demo is pretty good, monotonous riff but he goes through loads of different settings. Things get serious with the top boost.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Current rig: standard Crybaby in the front > Marshall DSL40C > cheap tape delay and 6 band EQ in the loop > Orange PPC112 loaded with a V30:  

Got this in the mail today, Gibson Les Paul 2017 Tribute T Goldtop. Sounds fucking great to put it mildly

My main three,

Posted Images

On June 30, 2016 at 6:33 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

Sweeeet! What cab will you be running it through?

It's got a single G12M-70 (which I actually prefer to the Vintage 30s). It is immense for a 1x12! What a tone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

My Line Si-- eh, my "Marshall" Micro Spider amp that I use when I practice. The clean channel sound actually pretty good.

My Epiph-- "Gibson" Les Paul that I use as a guitar. It sounds good.

My Rocksmith 2014 jack that I plug in my computer when I record covers.

Really hope to massively upgrade my gear in a couple of years, even though I'm happy with what I have.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of ordering a Marshall MX112 cabinet to make a "mini stack" out of my JCM 800. The MX112 has the much maligned Seventy 80 speaker but I don't think they're nearly as bad as most make them out to be. It'll hold me over until a track down a decently priced 1933 matching cabinet. At that point I'll likely replace both my speakers with Heritage G12-65's which, to my ear, are the best speakers money can buy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I'm thinking of ordering a Marshall MX112 cabinet to make a "mini stack" out of my JCM 800. The MX112 has the much maligned Seventy 80 speaker but I don't think they're nearly as bad as most make them out to be. It'll hold me over until a track down a decently priced 1933 matching cabinet. At that point I'll likely replace both my speakers with Heritage G12-65's which, to my ear, are the best speakers money can buy.

I have a 70/80 in my DSL40C, most people have a pretty poor opinion of them. Once they break in though, they actually start to sound pretty good. A decent amount of volume also helps whilst breaking them in, they can sound quite trebly and harsh at lower volumes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have a 70/80 in my DSL40C, most people have a pretty poor opinion of them. Once they break in though, they actually start to sound pretty good. A decent amount of volume also helps whilst breaking them in, they can sound quite trebly and harsh at lower volumes.

I agree, I thought it was a decent match for the DSL40C. Like most speakers, it sounds best when really pushing those tubes. I think it's just viewed as a "cheap" speaker probably by the same types of gear snobs who think all Epiphones are terrible.

The G12M-70 is also frowned upon for the JCM800 but it sounds terrific.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be in a band with a guy who played a Peavey 5150 Mk 2 through a cheap Marshall AVT cab, I don't know what they loaded those cabs with, but it would have been low end. It sounded absolutely fucking immense! He always had other bands asking about his rig at our gigs and it always raised eyebrows when they heard it was an AVT cab....

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I used to be in a band with a guy who played a Peavey 5150 Mk 2 through a cheap Marshall AVT cab, I don't know what they loaded those cabs with, but it would have been low end. It sounded absolutely fucking immense! He always had other bands asking about his rig at our gigs and it always raised eyebrows when they heard it was an AVT cab....

Literally the same thing happened to me. My first "good" amp was an AVT head with matching cabinet. I'd constantly have people asking me about my tone and shitting when I uttered the words "AVT half-stack" because they couldn't believe it. At the end of the day, a good guitar player should be able to make any guitar/amp combo sound decent enough. I've met far too many gear snobs who brag about their top of the line gear but can barely even play. The good gear can only get you so far!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Literally the same thing happened to me. My first "good" amp was an AVT head with matching cabinet. I'd constantly have people asking me about my tone and shitting when I uttered the words "AVT half-stack" because they couldn't believe it. At the end of the day, a good guitar player should be able to make any guitar/amp combo sound decent enough. I've met far too many gear snobs who brag about their top of the line gear but can barely even play. The good gear can only get you so far!

Hahaha, fuck the corksniffers!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Thought this was a cool demo to share, just to show that there's sooo many sounds you can get without pedals or messing with amp settings.

 

Exactly! Players forget just how much you can manipulate (most) guitars.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonamassa is the shit. His whole rig, currently, is a few cranked old Fender amps and one OD and a wah. Here's a month old video:

Even in this video where he is using only one small combo, it has to be put in a separate room because it is so freaking loud. I wish there was a way to obtain those dynamics at bedroom volumes. Maybe with the Kemper?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 30 Watt but indeed it's loud; fortunatelly I have an attenuator.

The tone is very good, british but different from a Marshall; has more clarity / brightness and less body even through a Marshall closed cab. Has plently of gain for everything I do but I enjoy it the most in mid gain, where it cleans up or crunches depending on the pick attack.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Klay said:

It's 30 Watt but indeed it's loud; fortunatelly I have an attenuator.

The tone is very good, british but different from a Marshall; has more clarity / brightness and less body even through a Marshall closed cab. Has plently of gain for everything I do but I enjoy it the most in mid gain, where it cleans up or crunches depending on the pick attack.

 

I have only had a go on a smaller one (15 I think) in a guitar shop with a Tokai Les Paul, they wouldn't let me crank it, so I couldn't get the best out of it. 30 watts is enough to leave your ears ringing; my dsl40c rarely gets above 4 on the master volume and that pretty much rattles the whole house. 

Edited by SoundOfAGun
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have only had a go on a smaller one (15 I think) in a guitar shop with a Tokai Les Paul, they wouldn't let me crank it, so I couldn't get the best out of it. 30 watts is enough to leave your ears ringing; my dsl40c rarely gets above 4 on the master volume and that pretty much rattles the whole house. 

Have you played many Tokai's?, i have an ALS-48 and absolutely adore it. They are quite hard to come by as far as i know lucky for me i live in Oz and most states have a store or two that stock them. I know in America that Gibson have filed a lawsuit preventing them from selling there, not sure if there's many around in Europe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have only had a go on a smaller one (15 I think) in a guitar shop with a Tokai Les Paul, they wouldn't let me crank it, so I couldn't get the best out of it. 30 watts is enough to leave your ears ringing; my dsl40c rarely gets above 4 on the master volume and that pretty much rattles the whole house. 

I'm pretty sure my 800 combo could handle a gig with the volume at 2. Sometimes it's easy to forget how loud these tube combos can be. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Have you played many Tokai's?, i have an ALS-48 and absolutely adore it. They are quite hard to come by as far as i know lucky for me i live in Oz and most states have a store or two that stock them. I know in America that Gibson have filed a lawsuit preventing them from selling there, not sure if there's many around in Europe.

It is the first time I have seen one in a guitar store, I did mention it to the guy who worked at the shop that Tokai guitars are not something you usually see and he told me that their distributor had a regular supply. I don't know how common they are overall in UK music stores, if they are rare and you are in the UK, this is the place:

http://www.drumandguitar.co.uk/products/c303-Tokai-Electric-Guitars/

As for what I thought, it had quite a nice action for a factory set up with stock strings, the volume knob for the rhythm/neck pickup was set a bit too low and had dug in to the surrounding finish on the guitar. With the price I don't think that these are the Japanese ones (if they even make them in Japan anymore), but they seem pretty solid. I would like a go on one that had been through a set up with a tech and had some Power Slinkys on it.

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

I'm pretty sure my 800 combo could handle a gig with the volume at 2. Sometimes it's easy to forget how loud these tube combos can be. :lol:

I found you stand in front of an 800 at full tilt, there is a good chance you will die!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It is the first time I have seen one in a guitar store, I did mention it to the guy who worked at the shop that Tokai guitars are not something you usually see and he told me that their distributor had a regular supply. I don't know how common they are overall in UK music stores, if they are rare and you are in the UK, this is the place:

http://www.drumandguitar.co.uk/products/c303-Tokai-Electric-Guitars/

As for what I thought, it had quite a nice action for a factory set up with stock strings, the volume knob for the rhythm/neck pickup was set a bit too low and had dug in to the surrounding finish on the guitar. With the price I don't think that these are the Japanese ones (if they even make them in Japan anymore), but they seem pretty solid. I would like a go on one that had been through a set up with a tech and had some Power Slinkys on it.

I found you stand in front of an 800 at full tilt, there is a good chance you will die!

Yeah i have Ernie Ball 11-48's on mine and of course make a huge difference. They do still make Tokai's in Japan but having spoke to the guy where i got mine he said the Chinese Tokia's have come on leaps and bounds in quality and i went with that especially after watching this review.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member




×
×
  • Create New...