The Estranged Video: So ridiculous it's great?

Vincent Vega

To appreciate this song and video, a little bit of sensibility is required ...

How pretentious of you.

There is fuck all "sensible" about the whole thing. Its a portal to watch the self-appointed boy-king of 80's corporate rock indulge himself to glorious excess, drunk on his own visions and assured genius; right before he went off the artistic cliff to...well...nothing

"Boy king of 80's corporate rock." Why are we talking about Bon Jovi?

If you're making videos where everybody including your bodyguard is wearing white as you climb into a white limo; while evening attire is a pair of cycling shorts and a knee length fur coat, you've embraced the cocaine fuelled excess of '80's corporate rock harder than Bon Jovi ever did. At least that fucker still wore his jeans while mixing with other mere mortals in bars etc,

Don't get me wrong, I love my rock stars overblown and preposterous. Any rock musician can dress like a woodcutter and claim that they feel better hanging with the people. I want a circus and watching Axl move from a street band leader to bona-fide male rocker version of Liza Mennelli was fascinating. And I still thought the fucker was awesome.

I doubt Axl believed he was trying to create "art for the ages," or whatever. Rather, he was trying to make a cool video, plain and simple. Axl is no despot king from some Shakespearean tragedy, who failed from his own hubris, as your post suggests. He's the lead singer of a rock band, a musician and artist who had a falling out with his bandmates--something that happens frequently. At least he's still alive, healthy and performing. Would you rather of had him end up like that guy in your avatar?

Here's where we differ, I think Axl thought everything he was doing back then was the shit. He blew millions on videos for songs that were linked as trilogies , with strong messages played out inside them all. All very artsy and self indulgent.

Axl said of himself at the time. ... "I did imagine success like this. I had grandiose ideas." Read this article to see what I mean: http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/AxlRose/axl4.html

Its all incredibly well meaning, well thought out and deeply personal but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and Axl just got more and more OTT as more and more money and adulation (and pressure) flooded in. Nobody in the band wanted to spend the money on these Axl vignettes but he insisted..

Your other points about me preferring if Axl died like Layne Staley are so left of field and so far removed from this discussion about the Estranged video I'm not arsed even engaging you on those.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1