The Estranged Video: So ridiculous it's great?

Vincent Vega

When people say this or that is a bad video, do they base their opinion on what exactly? On their studies in cinematography, photography and film? Do any of the people saying it is a bad video EVER wrote the script for any video documentary, short film or movie?

Just wondering....

So now you have to be a film director for even having an opinion about a video? The video is directed to average people and fans, I think their opinion is more important than any other.

It's not like you have to be an expert musician before being able to like a song or not. Same with videos, imo.

One thing is to like-dislike a video and another different is to raise yourself as an authority in video making and say this or that video is bad, wrongly directed, written, etc.

Many in here are acting and criticizing as if they had ever made a musical video themselves.

yeah, right.

Using your same logic, nobody would ever criticise a book, unless having written a book, nobody would criticise music, unless having created music, and nobody would criticise a film, unless having made a film.

• Like 1

Using your same logic, nobody would ever criticise a book, unless having written a book, nobody would criticise music, unless having created music, and nobody would criticise a film, unless having made a film.

um... people who professionally critic art DO HAVE studies on art, whether is literature, film or music. Those studies usually belong to the fields of arts, communication and/or journalism.

Edited by tinyrobot

um... people who professionally critic art DO HAVE studies on art, whether is literature, film or music. Those studies usually belong to the fields of arts, communication and/or journalism.

Yes. But, again, I don't think anyone here's trying to do anything but giving their own opinion, which is completely legitime imo. It's not like anyone here's saying their opinion is more important than any other (which is what professional art critics do)

Yes. But, again, I don't think anyone here's trying to do anything but giving their own opinion, which is completely legitime imo. It's not like anyone here's saying their opinion is more important than any other (which is what professional art critics do)

Some people here are honestly saying whether they like the video or not and others are acting as if they had a successful career in film or video directing giving opinion on stuff that makes them look really ignorant.

Professional critics do not say their opinion is more important. They judge based on their knowledge and experience on the field. All opinions are subjetive, even those of experts. Everybody knows that. You can use their critics as a guide to whether go see a play, listen to an album or read a book, but ultimately it is your decision to do it, over whatever the critic says.

• Like 1

l

So are people who unprofessionally critic, not entitled to review?

Just for the record, I have never once filmed a music promo yet I find the trilogy a big pile of steaming poop.

l

In a forum of amateurs and fans like this, yeah.... Not in the newspapers, magazines and other publications where professional critics work and are paid to write.

Just for the record, I have never once filmed a music promo yet I find the trilogy a big pile of steaming poop.

No need to clarify, it is extremely obvious.

Some people here are honestly saying whether they like the video or not and others are acting as if they had a successful career in film or video directing giving opinion on stuff that makes them look really ignorant.

Professional critics do not say their opinion is more important. They judge based on their knowledge and experience on the field. All opinions are subjetive, even those of experts. Everybody knows that. You can use their critics as a guide to whether go see a play, listen to an album or read a book, but ultimately it is your decision to do it, over whatever the critic says.

I'm with you on this, but then it's ultimately still your decision to not give a f**k about what those "that are acting as if they had a succesful career in film or video directing" instead of bashing them (specially if they look really ignorant already :lol: ), after all, we're just in a fan forum.

• Like 1

l

In a forum of amateurs and fans like this, yeah.... Not in the newspapers, magazines and other publications where professional critics work and are paid to write.

And, ehh, that is what we are all doing here. I do not believe anyone here has claimed expertise in the music video industry.

• Like 1

l

And, ehh, that is what we are all doing here. I do not believe anyone here has claimed expertise in the music video industry.

Not openly claimed but given opinion as if they were Martin Scorcese.

Anyways, the subject is dead now.

See ya.

l

Haha, this word is definitely critique. Critic is a noun. Critique is a verb. A critic critiques art.

Anyway, I like this video. I first saw it when I was 9 or 10 years old and I liked the imagery.

• Like 1

l

Haha, this word is definitely critique. Critic is a noun. Critique is a verb. A critic critiques art.

I am quoting the above poster. I should have perhaps added '(sic)'.

I have not read anything in this thread to make me think someone is a music video critic, or that any opinion is more important than anyone elses. Some people like things, some people don't, some people think its just ok. Nobody is right or wrong, they just are....

• Like 1

If they filming a long ass video for a long ass track then Locomotive would be a better choice. But at that time Axl rules the band with the extremely cheese and dated videos and ideas...
Fuck that i like GNR because of the rockers, not because the cheesy ballads

Sorry to burst some peoples bubble here, but what are you calling artistic progression is nowhere near found on these trilogy

Edited by Crash Diet

When I learned that it wasn't Slash rising from the water during the second solo, it was really ruined for me.

Yeah, I was ready to call it a masterpiece, and then out of nowhere: fuck! That's not wet Slash. It's some other guy pretending to be wet Slash. :max:

Edited by Rovim

When I learned that it wasn't Slash rising from the water during the second solo, it was really ruined for me.

Yeah, I was ready to call it a masterpiece, and then out of nowhere: fuck! That's not wet Slash. It's some other guy pretending to be wet Slash. :max:

Huh? :max: I thought, while taking itself far too seriously, it was pretty funny that all band members "played" roles in the video, and the fact that somebody else played Slash's role during that part was disappointing. Not calling it a masterpiece, more like the contrary.

Huh? :max: I thought, while taking itself far too seriously, it was pretty funny that all band members "played" roles in the video, and the fact that somebody else played Slash's role during that part was disappointing. Not calling it a masterpiece, more like the contrary.

No, I know. Was joking bro. I, too, am still butthurt about fake wet Slash guy.

My reaction to the video when I first saw it was of course ..yeah.. that's cool.. i get what AXL is saying..or reaching for..but then it became SO apparent to me that the band played second fiddle in it... and i thought that Somewhat of Don't cry and definitely of November Rain. I can remember watching it in the common room at my dorm in college and people were going... "wheres the rest of the band in this thing?" The bit part of Slash coming out the water and his floating along Sunset strip was about the only other feature besides cameos of Duff in the rowboat.

When I watched the Making f^^%$ Videos and the part where Axl was thanking Slash for the solo.. and the way he said it was like he had contracted Slash out for it instead of the usual team effort that a band does when it writes. I thought what the hell.. Of course Slash is going to come up with something .. its Guns and Roses

• Like 2

I liked the videos back when they came out. Watching them now makes me realize that all videos should just be concert footage. The only word that can describe these videos is "tacky" but as they say, hindsight is 20/20

Edited by Trin9498

I liked the videos back when they came out. Watching them now makes me realize that all videos should just be concert footage. The only word that can describe these videos is "tacky" but as they say, hindsight is 20/20

you look at those videos coming out in the 80's and 90's from bands like Motley Crue , Ratt , Poison and you have to shake your head and blame it on the cocaine....

i remember the big WHAT THE HELL was the difference between WWTJ, SCOM PC and Patience and the UYI videos