The Estranged Video: So ridiculous it's great?

Vincent Vega

Yeah it is especially the ending with Axl banging into the walls like in the Altered State movie.

I think Axl is a huge movie fan and that's why his videos were so long and so out there. It's like a mini movie you don't understand but enjoy anyway.

Check out the "Since I don't have you" video. I felt like I was high watching that video with Gary Oldman as the devil.

It's sort of the band's goodbye, though, isn't it (Since I Don't Have You is just an abberation)? Axl doing his own thing completely apart from the rest of the band; Axl walking away from everything and everyone. With that and the video for "The Garden," you just get that Axl is on his own planet and IS estranged at least emotionally from his bandmates at that point. And that's what happened IRL...

It's sort of the band's goodbye, though, isn't it (Since I Don't Have You is just an abberation)? Axl doing his own thing completely apart from the rest of the band; Axl walking away from everything and everyone. With that and the video for "The Garden," you just get that Axl is on his own planet and IS estranged at least emotionally from his bandmates at that point. And that's what happened IRL...

The video was the last to feature original members Duff McKagan and Slash, as well as drummer Matt Sorum and rhythm guitarist Gilby Clarke. It is also (to date) the last music video released under the "Guns N' Roses" name.

Well that's everyone gone after that video isn't it? Axl was the only one left.

While I see why a lot of posters have stated that the whole video seem ridiculous, self indulgent and all to them, I really think the shots of the band performing the song, both the live and the staged ones, are among the best we have on tape from the original line-up. Even 90s Matt looks great, that's saying something :lol:

Is this the thread where people who dislike the Estranged video are called cupcakes?

I like the video by the way, and have no problem with those who think it's shit. People are free to have different opinions. Why are Axl fans so sensitive?

Edited by maynard

Is this the thread where people who dislike the Estranged video are called cupcakes?

I like the video by the way, and have no problem with those who think it's shit. People are free to have different opinions. Why are Axl fans so sensitive?

If you like this song/video you are sensitive too ... maybe you are an Axl fan, afterall.

To appreciate this song and video, a little bit of sensibility is required ...

How pretentious of you.

There is fuck all "sensible" about the whole thing. Its a portal to watch the self-appointed boy-king of 80's corporate rock indulge himself to glorious excess, drunk on his own visions and assured genius; right before he went off the artistic cliff to...well...nothing

I like watching the video for that alone.

Read the poem Ozymandias and look at the video again.

You'll see that Axl, like many before him believed they were creating a beacon of art for the ages when in fact they were leaving a poignant exhibit of their megalomania and a cautionary tale of where that can lead.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

How pretentious of you.

There is fuck all "sensible" about the whole thing. Its a portal to watch the self-appointed boy-king of 80's corporate rock indulge himself to glorious excess, drunk on his own visions and assured genius; right before he went off the artistic cliff to...well...nothing

You'll see that Axl, like many before him believed they were creating a beacon of art for the ages when in fact they were exposing their all to human failings in sharp relief.

I talked about a LITTLE BIT of sensibility ... and you think I'm pretentious? Who are you? A piece of rock?

Do you really want to keep quoting me just to stalk me in every thread? You won't be lucky, mate ...

How pretentious of you.

You'll see that Axl, like many before him believed they were creating a beacon of art for the ages when in fact they were exposing their all to human failings in sharp relief.

I talked about a LITTLE BIT of sensibility ... and you think I'm pretentious? Who are you? A piece of rock?

Do you really want to keep quoting me just to stalk me in every thread? You won't be lucky, mate ...

I'd respond except I haven't a fucking clue what you mean here.

What the fuck does a piece of rock have to do with pretentiousness? I can't do anything with this!

And don't flatter yourself that I'd stalk your threads, if your opinions were any more one dimensional they would need a new type of geometry to describe them.

I just fancied kicking your dog today.

I got the response I craved.

Thanks!

• Like 1

How pretentious of you.

What the fuck does a piece of rock have to do with pretentiousness?

Absolutly nothing ... neither with sensibility, and that's what I was talking about ... Only a piece of rock can consider that a little bit of sensibility it's something pretentious, because a piece of rock have sensibility = zero

Edited by GUNNER PT

How pretentious of you.

Absolutly nothing ... neither with sensibility, and that's what I was talking about ... Only a piece of rock can consider that a little bit of sensibility it's something pretentious, because a piece of rock have sensibility = zero ;)

ooooooookkkkkk.... I'm going to back slowly out of this thread now.....

• Like 1

Guys,

The next person who brings up the word "troll" is getting a warning point and a three day suspension. FFS, can we leave all the whining and bitching about other people's opinions from our regularly scheduled posts?

Please try and discuss the topic without resorting to ridiculing the opinions of others. If someone doesn't like the video you're not going to change anything by calling them a troll.

• Like 2

How pretentious of you.

Absolutly nothing ... neither with sensibility, and that's what I was talking about ... Only a piece of rock can consider that a little bit of sensibility it's something pretentious, because a piece of rock have sensibility = zero ;)

No prob man ... nothing against you ... but you already quoted me in another thread, talking about Axl (offtopic) when I was talking about Slash (ontopic) ... and that made me wonder ...

Probably I just misunderstood you ... ;)

I guess GNR are "country rock" now that they're on CMT's website.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/guns-n-roses/737516/estranged.jhtml#artist=846

They should re-edit it and just show the live performance, I think that in itself would look great.

Also, in the Making F-in' Videos, Slash lamented on how the Sunset Strip had changed from when they started out, so it's really an "end of an era" video.

Guys,

The next person who brings up the word "cupcake" is getting a warning point and a three day suspension. FFS, can we leave all the whining and bitching about other people's opinions from our regularly scheduled posts?

Please try and discuss the topic without resorting to ridiculing the opinions of others. If someone doesn't like the video you're not going to change anything by calling them a cupcake.

Great post. You know what? You should instantly ban anyone who uses the word "cupcake" from now on. It's such a dumb word, and people are dumb enough to use it constantly. :facepalm:

How pretentious of you.

No prob man ... nothing against you ... but you already quoted me in another thread, talking about Axl (offtopic) when I was talking about Slash (ontopic) ... and that made me wonder ...

Probably I just misunderstood you ... ;)

Nah..you didn't I was just in an evil mood and you handled my lack of grace like a true gentleman. Kudos to you and apologies from me.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of the song or understood the love for it, but I watched the video purely for the video and it's not bad. It has great live footage as already mentioned (probably a glimpse of the holy grail UYI tour footage in Axl's vault) and the sub-plots are pretty interesting. To fill 9 and a half minutes wouldn't be an easy task. The quality of the camera work and post production is pretty good too.

How pretentious of you.

"Boy king of 80's corporate rock." Why are we talking about Bon Jovi?

I doubt Axl believed he was trying to create "art for the ages," or whatever. Rather, he was trying to make a cool video, plain and simple. Axl is no despot king from some Shakespearean tragedy, who failed from his own hubris, as your post suggests. He's the lead singer of a rock band, a musician and artist who had a falling out with his bandmates--something that happens frequently. At least he's still alive, healthy and performing. Would you rather of had him end up like that guy in your avatar?

Edited by RichardNixon