Rolling Stone: 10 Best Albums Of The 90's

sascha

no problem with

the top 4 -Nirvana, Pearl jam, U2, and Radiohead albums were all amazing

Metallica deserves it as well.

Chili Peppers should be there.

Hard to not put the chronic on there. Rap music blew up after that album. Absolutely exploded.

Beastie Boys could be there too.

That list is why I hate the 90s. If it wasnt grunge or UYI it was shit.

The 90's should be separated into two groups. 1990-1995 and 1996-1999. The first half of the decade featured some of the greatest rock bands of all time. It was the last golden era of rock. Pearl Jam,Nirvana,Soundgarden,Pumpkins,Metallica,RHCP,Alice In Chains,GNR etc. The second half of the decade was mostly nothing but boy bands,rap and nu-metal.

Even most hardcore Guns N' Roses fans admit that it's bloated and all over the place,

No.

Definitely no.

Definitely, DEFINITELY no.

No, no, no! No!!

The Illusions are in place 1 on my list. Not on my 90's, but on my all time list.

This is a pretty good list though, I really like it. The issue is just that (almost?) all of these albums were extremely successful commercially, so it's kind of a commercialized list. I guess that's in the nature of reader's polls...

Btw, like your signature, bro! Looks like a sublime message to Axl...

The readers are stupid.

I think Nirvana's In Utero is a better record than Nevermind, for one thing.

Smashing Pumpkins don't belong there at all, particularly their double album. Now THAT'S the true definition of bloated.

Where's 40 oz. to Freedom?

The eponymous Third Eye Blind record as another good one.

Edit: And as others have mentioned already: Chili Peppers.

Edited by GnR Chris

no problem with

Hard to not put the chronic on there. Rap music blew up after that album. Absolutely exploded.

It's almost the 20th anniversary of Sound Scan (March first). It changed the landscape of music, but people still work the system and continue to artificially inflate numbers.

If you put a list up of 500 CDs that came out from 1990-1999 and had to choose 10 they feel are important, essential, or just fun listening, you're going to have a lot of opinions, because some of those CDs are "soundtrack of my youth", some of them are eclectic, and some of them are all killer no filler.

The only thing that mattered to bands as far as RS goes, was getting on the cover. It's usually up there with hearing their song on the radio for the first time.

I have always wondered if Kurt was still alive if Nevermind would still get the full credit it gets. I doubt it! Good album, but not great.

I believe it would. That one album completely changed the musical landscape at the time and defined the sound of the decade. I thought Illusions should've ranked higher but have no qualms with Nevermind at #1.

As for other inclusions, I'll agree with the Chilis fans that say Blood Sugar may have deserved a mention but I wasn't all that high on Californication as an album. I too would have preferred just one Pumpkins inclusion. Soundgarden and AIC are both worthy mentions, and I would have absolutely loved to see Jane's "Ritual" on the list. The guy who said 3rd eye blind deserved a spot hurt my head.

Edited by Bards

Nevermind, oh lawd, few albums are more overated.

The lack of Ready to die and The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hilll among others bother me..

I'm on the fence about the UYI albums being on the list, great albums but top 10 material, idk, maybe if it was the top 10 rocks albums

The Score (Fugees 2nd album) should go in before The Miseducation..imo. Agree with you on Ready to Die.

no problem with

It's almost the 20th anniversary of Sound Scan (March first). It changed the landscape of music, but people still work the system and continue to artificially inflate numbers.

If you put a list up of 500 CDs that came out from 1990-1999 and had to choose 10 they feel are important, essential, or just fun listening, you're going to have a lot of opinions, because some of those CDs are "soundtrack of my youth", some of them are eclectic, and some of them are all killer no filler.

The only thing that mattered to bands as far as RS goes, was getting on the cover. It's usually up there with hearing their song on the radio for the first time.

Totally agree. there are so many bands that put out amazing albums. My list you could argue is just popular bands that ALSO put out a great record.

Nevermind < Superunknown

OK Computer < A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular, Dummy or Mezzanine

Ten < Vs.

Achtung Baby - should be #1

Morning Glory - right where it belongs

Siamese Dream < Throwing Copper

Black Album < Rage Against The Machine

Grace < To Bring You My Love

Mellon Collie < Jar Of Flies

UYI - too 80's for the 90's?

Edited by sascha

The lack of Ready to die and The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hilll among others bother me..

I'm on the fence about the UYI albums being on the list, great albums but top 10 material, idk, maybe if it was the top 10 rocks albums

The Score (Fugees 2nd album) should go in before The Miseducation..imo. Agree with you on Ready to Die.

The Score had too many covers on it. All Eyez on Me, Doggystyle or The Chronic should have been on the list.

It's really a shame that Blood Suger Sex Magik and The Downward Spiral aren't on the list. I'd have knocked OK Computer and one of the Pumpkins albums off the list. It's funny though when you look at that list and think about the shit music we've had in the 2000's. It really shines a light on just how crappy music has gotten.

The Score had too many covers on it. All Eyez on Me, Doggystyle or The Chronic should have been on the list.

And All Eyez on Me, Doggstyle, and The Chronic each sampled 50 songs. :shrugs:

Where's the hip-hop? Surely The Chronic belongs on any top ten of the nineties list. They have Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness overrated. Dirt should be on that list.

Alice in Chains are a lot more famous in hindsight than they were in the 90's when they were around in classic form. Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were all way more popular.

This is an obvious and misguiding top 10. Nirvana, Radiohead... poor choices, it's the same top 10 over and over again and it's full of shit (in b4 "no, you're full of shit broham lolz wut").

Anyway. The Illusions should rank #1 if we take them together: Coma, Estranged, Don't Cry, November Rain. Those 4 songs are un-fucking-touchables. There is absolutely NO ALBUM in this top that has songs that are this impressive. The guitar solos are the best, the vocals are the best, the structures are the best, the lyrics had a meaning, there is no way in hell any song from Nevermind could beat those 4 songs. Nirvana songs were all about simple riffs, simple structure, poor vocals, and retarded lyrics. You really are an ignorant if you think Nevermind is the best album of the 90's. I'm not saying it sucks, it's just that it has three good songs and that's it.

It pains me to see that I'm on a GNR forum and everyone thinks the UYI were inferior to the albums in this top.

It's obvious to me that if you have ears, you know the Illusions have an immense quality, when Nevermind is just a basic album that has some legend to it because Cobain died, but had he lived, no one would talk about this album tbh. Anyway don't get me started on Kurt Cobain again, just listen to his poor lyrics and his live rants, he was a moron, I don't get how one can find this guy "cool". He was just a poor junkie. Most people that still find Nirvana cool are young kids that smoke pots and think they're cool because they smoke pots, last week-end, I stopped my little brother's party because they were all smoking like firemen, it pissed me off, I told them how they were ruining themselves and what do you know, they were listening to Nirvana. I plugged in my ipod and put on Paradise City. None of these potential junkies knew who GNR were and never heard of Paradise City. Morons.

Of course if one were to take UYI I and II separately, it's not the same story, to me part I is the best, but those two albums have a lot of garbage songs or average songs like You ain't the first, Shotgun Blues...

Other than that, how in hell can't anyone mention Alice in Chain's Dirt (fucking great album), NIN's The Fragile (far superior to the downward spiral, which IMO is totally overhyped), and Muse's Showbiz? Those should definitely make it to the best 90's albums.

Oh and I laughed my ass off when I read U2 was even mentioned.

And finally, Oasis's best album is Definitely Maybe. And it should be on the list. Fuck.

Nevermind < Superunknown

OK Computer < A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular, Dummy or Mezzanine

Ten < Vs.

Achtung Baby - should be #1

Morning Glory - right where it belongs

Siamese Dream < Throwing Copper

Black Album < Rage Against The Machine

Grace < To Bring You My Love

Mellon Collie < Jar Of Flies

UYI - too 80's for the 90's?

NO WAY JOSE!