Home Theaters

You have the same TV?

And what kind of question is that? I obviously got mine at Best Buy :lol:

Yeah, I bought that model in 2010 for $1500. I thought you bought it from US-Appliance because that store used to have great discounts.

Either way, since you live in America, everything is cheaper for you. :no:

I actually paid $1,800 for mine :fuckyou:

As far as looking for a new TV, depends on what you want to use it for mainly. Plasmas are absolutely great, but they aren't always what I'd go to first.

Haha, yeah but I need to freight forward my stuff from the USA to Peru and pay customs fees (which I exempt from my tax declaration as a company's owner, but that's another story). :lol:

It will mainly be for gaming i was told before plasma is best for games?

I watch 720p movie and tv downloads but im not a movie buff by any stretch more a gaming man

Plasmas can have a more accurate picture quality so if you watch a lot of movies or HD quality programming they are tough to beat. But for gaming I would stick with an LED as they are brighter and don't suffer from Image Retention caused by static images being displayed on the screen for long periods of time like games can subject a TV to. This can be an issue with Plasmas and while the images will fade with time and when watching programming they can be annoying to some.

No.

You have the same TV?

Yeah, I bought that model in 2010 for $1500. I thought you bought it from US-Appliance because that store used to have great discounts.

As far as looking for a new TV, depends on what you want to use it for mainly. Plasmas are absolutely great, but they aren't always what I'd go to first.

Haha, yeah but I need to freight forward my stuff from the USA to Peru and pay customs fees (which I exempt from my tax declaration as a company's owner, but that's another story). :lol:

I watch 720p movie and tv downloads but im not a movie buff by any stretch more a gaming man

Plasmas can have a more accurate picture quality so if you watch a lot of movies or HD quality programming they are tough to beat. But for gaming I would stick with an LED as they are brighter and don't suffer from Image Retention caused by static images being displayed on the screen for long periods of time like games can subject a TV to. This can be an issue with Plasmas and while the images will fade with time and when watching programming they can be annoying to some.

No.

I am an engineer at an Audio/Video company mate so actually yes................

Other than blatantly obvious situations, I still think the "best" TV type and brand comes down to preference and personal opinion, honestly. :shrugs:

sure but there are measurable parameters, such as black level for example, which are visually obvious...

I researched and compared many HD TV's before I bought my Panasonic 65" VT50 and there was no LED that came close to the picture quality IMHO other than the Sharp Elite which costs close to 2X as much. But if I was a gamer I would have bought an LED for the reasons I mentioned in my other post........

But to your point everyone should go demo tv's themselves and buy what they like best..........

Edited by classicrawker

I definitely agree with what you're saying, when it comes to some technical things, certain TV's are definitely "better", like Plasmas with black levels, like you said.

But honestly, I don't know if it's just me or the way I have my TV set up and everything, but I have hardly seen many TV's that compare to the quality that mine is, and I'm honestly not just saying that because it's the model I have :shrugs: If a TV looks better than it, I'll easily admit it, but I really haven't seen many in the last two years that compare to it much.

Sports = plasmas

Movies = varies

Gaming = LCD / LED

Gaming will still be good on a plasma, but you could have a problem with the "burn in" issue due to something being still on the screen for a long period of time. That being said, over the last few years they've nearly perfected the technology and it doesn't happen as easily or as much, but it still can happen.

Sports = plasmas

Movies = varies

Gaming = LCD / LED

Gaming will still be good on a plasma, but you could have a problem with the "burn in" issue due to something being still on the screen for a long period of time. That being said, over the last few years they've nearly perfected the technology and it doesn't happen as easily or as much, but it still can happen.

Yeah i heard its basically non existent now ... Dont they have a white wash system now too where you turn it on for a few and it clears any burn in?

Burn in and image retention (IR) are two different issues.

Burn in, on the better brand name plasmas, is almost impossible to do these day unless you really abuse the TV by leaving a static image on the screen for several weeks. There can still be a concern with image retention (IR), which is a temporary condition, if you have a static image on the screen for hours on end, like you can get while gaming, you might see a faint image of the static images on the screen after you turn the game off but this will fade with time and by using the white wash system or by viewing full screen content afterwards.

With any new plasma it is recommended that you be careful with viewing content for the first 200 hours to allow the phosphors to age a little. I followed the advice of tech geek posters on the AV forum and used full screen color slides to run a slideshow for 200 hours before I even used my new Panasonic plasma and have had no issue with IR after watching widescreen movies with bars, football games with scrolling banners and TV shows with static logos. I have seen no IR at all. Also I have read many posters on the AV forums who own them say the picture quality of the Panasonic only gets better with age and viewing hours so it should be even more immune to IR as the TV gets used and the phosphors age.

If I was a gamer I would break in a new plasma for the recommended 200 hours before I played games on it but that is a personal decision.

And BS, Sony makes excellent LED TV's, some of the best on the market, but I had the chance to do a side by side comparison between the Panasonic Plasma and the top of the line Sony LED, which had full array local dimming, and the Panasonic won hands down IMHO for picture quality on HD content. Better black levels, truer color and better motion processing. I also compared it to the top of the line Samsung Plasma and while very close in quality I still preferred the Panasonic.

I have no allegiance to Panasonic products and actually went in thinking I was going to buy a Sony or Samsung LED TV but after seeing the side by side comparison I came home with the Panasonic...I watch a lot of movies and after watching the side by side the difference sold me on the Panasonic. Now If I had not seen them side by side I might have very well purchased the Sony Bravia and would have been very happy with it but I have to say for my viewing habits it was a no brainer and the Panasonic looks amazing watching Blurays and HD TV content.......

Buying the TV at Best Buy gave me enough points so that I am now a Silver Status member of the Best Buy Rewards program so I can get a free ISF professional calibration of the TV by the Geek Squad so I am hoping that makes the picture quality even better which in the out of the box THX Cinema mode is already excellent.

Anyone buying a high end HD TV really should put in the time and compare different Manufaturers sets and LED to Plasma in the stores.

Depending on what you are going to use the TV for one may be a better fit than the other..........

Edited by classicrawker

You have the same TV?

No.

I am an engineer at an Audio/Video company mate so actually yes................

I know bro, I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the final piece of the theater tonight (for now) with my last discounted purchase at Best Buy and got this:

http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/M5100-PM.php

m5100_pm_slant.jpg

Could have gotten the 5300 for like $50 more, but I was being cheap, so oh well.

Did you ever pick up that Denon AVR you were considering?

No, I thought I had posted which receiver I got, but I guess not.

I ended up getting a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 :)

I had an Elite DVD player I bought back in 1999 and it was excellent right up until I retired it recently........Pioneer makes nice stuff.....sounds good and very reliable...can't got wrong with their Elite components......

Edited by classicrawker

Just preorder-purchased the new Oppo-103 deck.

Should be here in the first part of November.

MAJOR stoked!

You are going to love that unit as the blu-ray playback is stellar and the Netflix streaming works great...I bought my OPPO BDP-93 already modded to be region free for DVD's and Blu-rays which works great and I believe it is only a software download for the DVD's and an extra plugin pcb to make it blu-ray regoin free and it is simply a plug in ribbon cable so you could do yourself...If you are buying Blu-rays that are region B and C you should check it out as it is pretty cheap, $50.00?, to buy the mod board on line.........

Edited by classicrawker

• 2 weeks later...

My Oppo BDP-103 arrived today! :wub:

I haven't hooked it up yet (went to see Skyfall).

Plus I want to read the manual first.

Excited!

Nice! give us your review once you have had a chance to play around with it..............

You going to do the region free conversion? If you buy Region B/C blu-rays it is inexpensive and easy to do.........bought mine with the conversion board already installed but it is an easy plugin to an existing connector unless they changed the hardware radically from the BDP-93..................you can do it with a screw driver.............I also heard OPPO will still honor the warranty even if they know you opened the unit for the conversion......tthey have stellar customer service.....

Edited by classicrawker

I have to read up on that. The store I bought this model from were offering to install before shipping, with the 93/95 models. But they didn't do it with this one. I thought I read somewhere something about new regulations that might not allow it with the newer models.

Would be a bummer if true, because I'd like to get it done.

Not sure of it's compatibale with the 103 yet. :shrugs:

I have to read up on that. The store I bought this model from were offering to install before shipping, with the 93/95 models. But they didn't do it with this one. I thought I read somewhere something about new regulations that might not allow it with the newer models.

Would be a bummer if true, because I'd like to get it done.

Not sure of it's compatibale with the 103 yet. :shrugs:

You may be thinking of the Cinavia Watermark copy protection scheme which was not in the 93 but is mandatory for all new players like the 103. It looks like the 103 has a similar region free mod as my 93 but the pcb may not be available yet for the 103. Here is an excellent website with good BDP-103 info

http://watershade.ne...e-modifications

http://www.bluraychi...p?id_product=24

Edited by classicrawker

How much is it to get a region free OPPO?

When I got my BDP-93 it was on sale for just under $600.00 I think from this company and they sell them already modded now for $679.00 or you can buy the board and do it yourself.

http://www.world-import.com/oppo-bdp93-region-code-free-dvd-player-and-region-free-a-b-c-bluray-player.htm

The new BDP-103 is more expensive at $719.00

This place has region free refurbed 93's for $600

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/Oppo_BDP_93_Region_Free_Blu_Ray_Player_p/op_bdp93_regionfree.htm

The mod kit for the 93 is pretty easy to find in a Goggle search...

http://www.bluraychip.dk/category.php?id_category=5

How much is it to get a region free OPPO?

edit: never mind, I don't think I can drop $500 on a blu-ray player :lol: Only reason I'm looking for one to use besides my PS3 is for Region Free playback.

I understand as it is not a cheap player and it is up to you mate but you get what you pay for with blu-ray players and the cheapo ones video processing is not the best.

You spent so much money on your system why would you want a crappy blu-ray player? and you will be able to get those region B/C steel case movies and play them

Panasonic players get great reviews for their video processing and are more reasonably priced.

These guys have a nice assortment and give great service..

http://www.world-imp...DVD_players.htm

Edited by classicrawker