Home Theaters

Samsung 63" plasma, Yamaha V367 receiver, Polk Audio TSi400 towers, Polk CS10 center, Polk TSi100 bookshelves, Samsung Bluray, and a $150 Monster HDMI cable!!!(that last one is a joke)

I have a pool table and a bar in my basement, I often wonder what I'd do with it if the pool table didn't take up the room

Edited by AxlisOld

Over priced, maybe. The important thing is that my guests and I enjoy them. What do you guys have? I don't want to go back and search

Absolutely man, and keep in mind, a bunch of us are audiophiles :lol: So please don't get offended. I don't think Bose are the best, but they definitely aren't the worst.

I have a 7.2 Definitive Technology system, but my entire Home Theater consists of:

3D Sony Bravia 55HX800

Pioneer Elite VSX-52

Definitive Technology BP-8060 (x2)

Definitive Technology CS-8060

Definitive Technology SM-55 (x2)

Definitive Technology SR-8040P (x2)

PS3

Pimp!

Samsung 63" plasma, Yamaha V367 receiver, Polk Audio TSi400 towers, Polk CS10 center, Polk TSi100 bookshelves, Samsung Bluray, and a $150 Monster HDMI cable!!!(that last one is a joke)

I have a pool table and a bar in my basement, I often wonder what I'd do with it if the pool table didn't take up the room

I want a plasma for my next tv!

Word of advice to people looking at cheap home theatre systems (sub 1000 for speakers/receiver/DVD/blu ray) from Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc- you're better off getting a cheaper surround sound system from someone like Logitech. It'll cost you less and sound better than that crap if you're not ready to splurge on higher-end gear. Used to test the higher end 'PC' speakers alongside the low-end home theatre systems when I worked in retail and was often astonished to find how much better the stuff we were selling in our home office section would sound.

I'm running the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system on my PC. Surprisingly good sound. It doubles as my HT with my Oppo player and 23" monitor. Not a proper HT, which I will hopefully do someday soon.

I'd probably buy a NAD receiver with some Wharfedale Evo2 speakers. I bet that would sound great. Evo2 series are great speakers at a very nice price.

Or even forget about the whole 5.1 thing and just go 2.1 with an integrated amp. Better sound, no gimmicks (that might not be the right word). In a nice room I bet the main image is perfectly centered even with no center speaker, a great sub or two will give plenty of low end, and those sounds that come out of the rears will still be heard separated from the main image. Perhaps not placed as perfect as with rears, but I'm not sure that's really a necessity.

I guess the best thing you can do is run two systems, one for movies (5.1 or 5.2) and one for music (2.1 or 2.2).

Edited by KBear

I live in wigan, england.

So the one on amazon is a bit shit?

There are lots of stores in the UK. Got a Richer Sounds nearby? That's the chain as far as I know. They carry some nice gear. And there are probably tons of smaller audio stores too.

Thought that speaker balance had fixed it that classicrawker suggested but it has not. I notice obviously much more volume from the left but the right seems to have a small hissing noise? any idea what that is about?

Where the left seems very clear.

Thought that speaker balance had fixed it that classicrawker suggested but it has not. I notice obviously much more volume from the left but the right seems to have a small hissing noise? any idea what that is about?

Cabling maybe? Can you swap cables over to test, or are they attached to the speaker? You could also try testing the right speaker on the left output to see if the problem is the speaker or the head unit.

Cabling maybe? Can you swap cables over to test, or are they attached to the speaker? You could also try testing the right speaker on the left output to see if the problem is the speaker or the head unit.

No the wire is seperate so i will try swapping them around see if it is the cable mate.

I once read that if the pixels are small enough that it becomes difficult to distinguish between them at normal viewing distances (with 20/20 vision) that arbitrarily high resolution displays are essentially a waste of time (which makes sense). I've not done the maths but I imagine that we're already approaching that point. (You don't sit as close to your TV as you do your laptop).

Whatever, fuck those. :max:

It would just mean replacing your entire movie collection yet again, something the movie industry is very good at :)

Except with Bluray it can at least be justified because you are now seeing the movie at the resolution at which the film can support. Very few movies were shot on the right kind of film to support 2160p. It might mean buying a new player and your new (or previous movies shot digitally) again.

I once read that if the pixels are small enough that it becomes difficult to distinguish between them at normal viewing distances (with 20/20 vision) that arbitrarily high resolution displays are essentially a waste of time (which makes sense). I've not done the maths but I imagine that we're already approaching that point. (You don't sit as close to your TV as you do your laptop).

The larger the display, the easier it is to tell. That said, most consumers aren't going for 60+ inches to be able to tell that difference, and things can only look so fucking good, so for me, 1080p is perfectly fine for now.

I don't want to sound like technology advancement is useless, but when it comes to stuff like picture/video quality, like I said, it can only look so good. Yeah, people might have said that about VHS and DVDs, but let's be honest, we're getting really close, if not already there, to the point that it looks the best.

Hey, just because living rooms aren't changing doesn't mean people wont want bigger tvs. 8 years ago my 63 inch plasma would have cost you 10 grand. I can't wait til an 80" plasma is affordable. And don't bother linking me to the 80" LED, I've seen them and they look like shit.