Home Theaters

Thanks kbear for the info, was looking for something a bit cheaper. Is there any way to hook up my pc to the receiver? As i sometimes watch stuff off my pc on my tv thru a vga cable and a audio jack lead.

Can't help a ton on home theater stuff as I'm more into audio. Wireless comes to mind as a possibility if you have a wireless router and your receiver supports it.

If you are looking for speakers on a budget and you are in the U.S., check Audiogon. You will typically get half off the cost of whatever you are buying (yes, it's used gear, but most of it is in excellent condition...like ebay just look for good feedback).

What's best for front left and right speakers, 3 way or 4 way?

There is no hard and fast rule for how many drivers make the best sounding speakers as I have heard 2 way speakers which blow away 3-4 way speakes but have also heard 3+ driver speakers which sounded like you were at a concert...You really need to have a budget and then go to HiFi stores and listen to all the speakers in your budget range.

Speakers are very personal components in that a speaker one person thinks sounds perfect may not sound as good to someone else...you really need to go listen for yourself............

What speaker levels do you have? Im trying to configure mine up properly i have my front left and right at 0db my centre at +1 and my surround at -1 as they are right above my sitting position on the wall. Is that about right or would you recommend something else? I am about 2 metres away from the front left n right n centre.

• 1 month later...

Okay, finally finished that shit. Was ready to murder someone, but eventually got it all down and working and the speakers definitely sound better. I had been reading articles of some claiming it works and some claiming it's nonsense, but now I know first hand that it's nom bullshit. At least not in my case, I can definitely tell a difference in my speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

Sony has a new line of TVs coming out this year: https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-announces-2013-bravia-tvs/

The X900 series looks pretty sexy (though the physical design looks a little silly) and definitely the one I'm most interested in, but it'll probably be way out of my price range. If it's not too bad though, I'll definitely try to get one. 4K and Passive 3D :drool:

Got that new TV itch :tongue2:

Sony has a new line of TVs coming out this year: https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-announces-2013-bravia-tvs/

The X900 series looks pretty sexy (though the physical design looks a little silly) and definitely the one I'm most interested in, but it'll probably be way out of my price range. If it's not too bad though, I'll definitely try to get one. 4K and Passive 3D :drool:

Got that new TV itch :tongue2:

JMO but I would wait before I dropped big money on a 4K set. There really is no content available yet and I doubt you will see anything significant for a few more years at which point the prices for the sets will drop significantly. And I doubt you will see much if any 4K TV broadcasts for the foreseable future.

Also I am reading that some companies are bypassing 4K technology and going right to 8K.

Interesting article that puts 4K into perspective.......

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

It will be interesting to see where this all goes but personally I will wait before I jump on the 4K/8K bandwagon and wait until OLED technology becomes affordable as this solves the motion smearing issue all LED TV's have...........