Home Theaters

Lol there's really not even any 1080p broadcast yet. 4k? No fucking thank you.

Also, fuck their flashy little name for it, it's 2160p, they just want it to sound like even more.

Agreed....TV broadcasters are just now giving us 1080i HD content so I don't see them spending the crazy money to upgrade to 4K broadcasting ability anytime soon. I can see Bluray type movie discs being the first type of content available when the 4K sets become affordable....The public just spent a their money buying new 1080 HD sets so it may be a while before the average joe spends anymore money on a new TV until the prices get below a grand.........

I think your over thinking it mate....4K is just an short and easy way to identify the format that is easy for people to remember nothing more..........

Edited by classicrawker

It is not short and easy, 4,000 is more than 2160, and stupid, uninformed people will like the bigger nunber. If you put a 4k tv next to a 2160p tv (same thing) they'd sell more 4k's. Passive 3D, I guess 4k could help, but really if they worked on refresh rates they'd be solving the bigger problem.

It is not short and easy, 4,000 is more than 2160, and stupid, uninformed people will like the bigger nunber. If you put a 4k tv next to a 2160p tv (same thing) they'd sell more 4k's. Passive 3D, I guess 4k could help, but really if they worked on refresh rates they'd be solving the bigger problem.

Well 4K is two characters and 2160P is five characters so I am thinking 4K is shorter and easier to remember..........and it actually does make sense as a 4K TV will display almost 4X the number of pixels of the current 1080p HD TV's.

"4K is the shorthand term for an onscreen resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, which is about 4 times the number of the 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) TV you just bought."

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/y4k_the_4k_tv_revolution_is_coming/

Once more TV manufacturers start hyping their new 4K sets, and they come down in price, I doubt the average Joe looking to buy a TV will be confused. I work for an Audio/ Video Company and if I have learned anything it is that the marketing people are pretty smart that way........

Edited by classicrawker

And if I've learned anything from people that ask me for help buying a new tv, it's that they don't know. 4k is shorter and easier to say, I'll give you that, but it is a larger number, and that will get people (much like the article you linked) to buy over a superior 1080 set. Just like how some people just go by megapixels when they buy a camera.

And if I've learned anything from people that ask me for help buying a new tv, it's that they don't know. 4k is shorter and easier to say, I'll give you that, but it is a larger number, and that will get people (much like the article you linked) to buy over a superior 1080 set. Just like how some people just go by megapixels when they buy a camera.

Of course 4K is more marketing then an actual upgrade for most people........... As that article and other state, Unless you have a TV over 55-65 inches and you sit close to it the majority of people will never notice the difference between a 4K TV or a 1080p TV for regular 2D material viewing...that being said no matter which way you spin it, 4K or 2160p, it still infers that the new technology is better than the existing 1080p HD TV's........ I doubt calling it 4K will make any difference then if you called it 2160p as they are still bigger numbers than the current 1080p HD format and when it comes to new technology people are suckers for larger numbers.........

Pricing on those Sony tvs isn't nearly as bad as I thought they'd be: http://store.sony.com/c/S_TV_HAV_CES_2013/en/c/S_TV_HAV_CES_2013

Just click on the model numbers.

I might just look into upgrading to this one, honestly:

http://store.sony.com/p/60-inch-HDTV%2C-LED-TV%2C-R-Series%2C-R550%2C-genie-whole-home-DVR%2C-3D-TV%2C-Edge-LED%2C-smart-TV%2C-Full-HD/en/p/KDL60R550A

The TV in the second link is only 120hz. Dafuq?

You should consider a Panasonic or Samsung plasma BS.... LED's, especially edge lit, can't match the picture quality, black levels, no motion smear, better off angle viewing etc., unless your willing to spend big money on a Sharp Elite..........

Edited by classicrawker

Look, my TV looks great. I honestly haven't seen a TV that I really would get rid of my TV for, and the 3D is especially great. I'm hoping Best Buy gets some of the new Sony TVs on display so I can check out the Passive 3D. At this time I'm still undecided, but Passive 3D isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Quit being a Plasma fanboy, you hooray for tolerance!

I hate plasma for many things (not being into sports helps)

Other then picture brightness led is inferior to plasma in just about every way......unless you are a hard core gamer I see no advantage to buying an led set.....

I donno I compared them and likes LCD better, thats me everyone has the options

I hate plasma for many things (not being into sports helps)

Other then picture brightness led is inferior to plasma in just about every way......unless you are a hard core gamer I see no advantage to buying an led set.....

I donno I compared them and likes LCD better, thats me everyone has the options

Too each his own......

• 1 month later...

So...a while back I went into the service menu of my tv and fuckee with it to unlock 24 frame playback (cinemasmooth on Samsungs). I popped in The Departed, and it's INCREDIBLY evident. I've seen the difference in other movies, and the funny thing is, you can put your finger on the "jutter" but it is evident between 24 frame and 3:2 pulldown. I fucking love the fact that I dumped money on a home theater.