Home Theaters

Elite

Sony

The Elite is an old model but it's a damn fine TV. And the Sony looks great, and at 7 70" it's quite tempting.

Still have some time before I really upgrade, I think, and I still have to sell my TV, but those are tempting.

Don't get me wrong, I saw the TV you got and it looked great, but compared to a the others I was looking at it wasn't the best. Again, that was at first look and I'll have more demos to do in the future :)

Go to a store with less bright lighting and be sure to take the tv's out of torch mode...your wasting your time trying to compare them under the bright lights in Best Buy with factory settings......Also bring movies with fast motion and dark scenes for contrast....In a real life setting I doubt any LED tv looks better than a Samsung or Panasonic Plasma.... the only one I found that can compete is the Sharp Elites..... Edited by classicrawker

You can't cupcake me, Matt.

And well both of these Tvs are in the Magnolia section of Best Buy, so they aren't really affected by the lighting as it's very dim in there.

I'm going to bring some movies in and demo all three, but have you got any input on the Elite? I know it looks great and used to drool over it when I worked there but not sure how I feel about it being open box, especially when I could get the Sony (if I chose that one) for cheaper and new.

You can't cupcake me, Matt.

And well both of these Tvs are in the Magnolia section of Best Buy, so they aren't really affected by the lighting as it's very dim in there.

I'm going to bring some movies in and demo all three, but have you got any input on the Elite? I know it looks great and used to drool over it when I worked there but not sure how I feel about it being open box, especially when I could get the Sony (if I chose that one) for cheaper and new.

I am not Matt and I am not trolling just stating the facts.

Based on all the "expert" reviews and my own personal comparisons, when I bought my Panasonic 65" VT50 Plasma, the only LED TV which could equal the quality of high end plasma TV's was the Sharp Elite but it was over $6K a year ago.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-elite-pro-60x5fd/4505-6482_7-35004013.html

And if you read this TV shootout review the Samsung and Panasonic plasma's crushed all the LCD/LED TV's for picture quality, including a highend Sony, with the "experts" and consumers who participated.

I have no doubt the Sony set you are looking at is an excellent TV but it is edge lit and will not be able to compete with the local array dimming Sony sets or plasma's for black level. It will also still suffer from off angle picture washout and motion lag you don't get with plasma's.

Other than an increase in size I don't see much of an upgrade over the set you have now......... :shrugs:

But your the one who hs to live with the TV so if you really like the Sony and are going to buy a TV then go for it. Otherwise what you ahve now is a nice set and why not wait a couple of years and grab a 4K TV or maybe even an OLED TV if they come down in price?

I also understand your concern about buying an open box Sharp Elite but if it comes with full warranty and you can get a nice discount I would be tempted as that would be a major upgrade...That is an awesome LED TV IMHO and the only one I would have considered over my Panasonic plasma if I could have afforded it.

Sorry, should have just used the forum name. When I mentioned trolling I was talking about AxlisOld :lol:

But yeah, the Sony isn't much of an upgrade honestly, but the passive 3d is enticing.

But as you said, I think the Elite is more of an upgrade, even if it is an open box. Not sure how the warranty would work, would have to check on that some more (wish I still had the discount on the Best Buy plan, it would probably be like $50 for 2 years or some shit :lol:) but I'm real tempted for that Elite. Might go in and demo it tonight.

And volcano, my parents want to move in about 5 years anyway, so it all works out.

Sorry, should have just used the forum name. When I mentioned trolling I was talking about AxlisOld :lol:

But yeah, the Sony isn't much of an upgrade honestly, but the passive 3d is enticing.

But as you said, I think the Elite is more of an upgrade, even if it is an open box. Not sure how the warranty would work, would have to check on that some more (wish I still had the discount on the Best Buy plan, it would probably be like $50 for 2 years or some shit :lol:) but I'm real tempted for that Elite. Might go in and demo it tonight.

And volcano, my parents want to move in about 5 years anyway, so it all works out.

Cool.

it's always great raising your own family in the house you grew up in.

No problem I figured you had me confused with Axlis old...if you really are itching for an upgrade, and just don't like the idea of a plasma, the Sharp Elite is the way to go now IMHO otherwise I would save up for a 4K TV or an OLED in a few years.......

I'm definitely not against Plasmas. I think they're great, just not sure if it's what I want right now. Especially if I can get the bigger Elite for around the same price. Again, I'm gonna do some more demos and see soon probably.

If you can get the Elite for the mid $3K range or less then it is a steal.........

This TV is beautiful. Goddamn, what an incredible high-definition ultra-clear smooth image quality. Best TV I have ever had. rock4

One you go plasma you never go back..........

And as much as I love my Panasonic Plasma it looks like the 2013 models are even better

http://www.hometheater.com/content/year-plasma

Edited by classicrawker

This TV is beautiful. Goddamn, what an incredible high-definition ultra-clear smooth image quality. Best TV I have ever had. rock4

One you go plasma you never go back..........

And as much as I love my Panasonic Plasma it looks like the 2013 models are even better

http://www.hometheater.com/content/year-plasma

Yeah, I'm glad I bought this TV and that I actually took the time to read about them 'cause I knew next to nothing.

Well the Sharp was sold unfortunately. I was actually thinking about going to get it tonight.

But, I'll keep looking around. $2500 is my limit and I'm looking for a 70 inch. Open to anything, really.

Get the Sony R550A then. It's not a bad TV - that was my first choice actually.

Well the Sharp was sold unfortunately. I was actually thinking about going to get it tonight.

But, I'll keep looking around. $2500 is my limit and I'm looking for a 70 inch. Open to anything, really.

You have a lot to work with. That is what I want this year, a 70 inch.

I'm thinking about it. Gonna keep looking around and try to do some demoing next week.

Been reading a bit about this one as well: http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p60st60-3d-plasma-hdtv

that TV is an amazing value for the price...and it is not so expensive that you will feel guilty upgrading again in a few years to a 4K TV............