Home Theaters

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well Black Sabbath Panasonic has announced at CES2014 that it has killed its plasma TV line so if you want a Panny Plasma you better get it soon............

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Visit-the-Plug-in-Blog/CES-2014-Panasonic-Kills-Viera-Cast-and-Announces-Life-Smart-TV/ba-p/81719

Also just read this in my latest issue of SOund & Vision magazine..............

Edited by classicrawker

TV came today. Running some slides on it to break it in for the first few days (need to get my new TV stand in the meanwhile as well).

But I popped on Deadwood at first and it looked amazing. Just popped in Toy Story 3 and I'm like

tumblr_m87g9v5DQK1qgfmalo1_500.gif

Another pilgrim who has joined the Plasma cult and has seen the light........... :lol:........wait until you have it broken in and watch a dark movie as the black level will blow you away.....also you will love sports on it as no more motion lag and picture smear.....

Fucking shame Panasonic could not make any money on Plasma and had to discontinue the line...hopefully OLED sets will be affordable by the time I need a new TV as LED sets just don't impress me..........

I plan on getting myVT50 professionally calibrated this summer but in case you are interested here are some other owners settings for reference

http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-vt60-picture-settings.html

Edited by classicrawker

Yeah I've been checking some out. Haven't put any in yet though, will probably do that next week. Can't wait to really delve into this set.

Also, I always liked plasmas, just never looked to get one of my own. I'm sure glad I did. Though I do think LEDs can look great without being as bright as stores show them.

• 2 weeks later...

BS, you got a plasma? Nice! Yeah, I remember that was my face when I got mine! :)

Took a while to convert him to the plasma cult but now his eyes have been opened and he sees the light................... :lol:

Unfortunately the TV manufacturers are killing our cult as Panasonic has discontinued their plasma line and I wonder how much longer Samsung will keep theirs going........... :(

hopefully OLED screens live up to their hype and are a mature technology by the time I need a new TV because I am not a big fan of LED types.....................once you go with a decent quality Plasma it is tough to settle for anything less........... :shrugs: .

Edited by classicrawker

• 1 year later...

Looks good BS :)

I told you guys in the Blu Ray thread I had a question about my setup. I got a new TV a few weeks ago - it's a Sony X850B. I can't remember the exact model of my Blu Ray player, but I can check it if necessary - it's Sony and it's one of the ones that acts as the receiver for the 5.1 system also. Anyways, I'm having some problems with the A/V sync that I wasn't having on my old TV. The problem I'm having is that the sync when I'm on my cable box HDMI channel doesn't even remotely match when I'm on the channel for my Blu Ray player. Most of the time (I'll elaborate on that in a minute), the audio delay for the cable box looks good at 25 milliseconds. Blu Rays are quite a bit higher on the delay; this number is a bit more all over the place, but 250 milliseconds is the number that fits most often. I say most of the time, for a couple of reasons. I'm watching Netflix via the TV itself now, because I can stream 4K through the Netflix TV app. Sometimes on Netflix, I'm not able to get the audio to match at all - for example I'm currently on season 4 of How I Met Your Mother and while all 3 seasons so far looked great at 25 ms, season 4 needs negative delay; even at 0 ms, the video is still ahead of the audio. I had this problem on a couple movies also. When I'm on the Blu Ray channel, I say most of the time because sometimes I need to adjust the sync in the middle of a disc. Sometimes I'll start a disc at 50 ms, and by the end I'll be up to 250 ms. So, can anyone explain what's going on here? Why am I having this problem now while I didn't on my old TV? And why is the sync fluctuating on the Blu Ray channel?

• 2 weeks later...

Not even a comment from pi2loc? :(

Great collection, BS. :lol: Couldn't post earlier because I've been having issues with my internet.

I told you guys in the Blu Ray thread I had a question about my setup. I got a new TV a few weeks ago - it's a Sony X850B. I can't remember the exact model of my Blu Ray player, but I can check it if necessary - it's Sony and it's one of the ones that acts as the receiver for the 5.1 system also. Anyways, I'm having some problems with the A/V sync that I wasn't having on my old TV. The problem I'm having is that the sync when I'm on my cable box HDMI channel doesn't even remotely match when I'm on the channel for my Blu Ray player. Most of the time (I'll elaborate on that in a minute), the audio delay for the cable box looks good at 25 milliseconds. Blu Rays are quite a bit higher on the delay; this number is a bit more all over the place, but 250 milliseconds is the number that fits most often. I say most of the time, for a couple of reasons. I'm watching Netflix via the TV itself now, because I can stream 4K through the Netflix TV app. Sometimes on Netflix, I'm not able to get the audio to match at all - for example I'm currently on season 4 of How I Met Your Mother and while all 3 seasons so far looked great at 25 ms, season 4 needs negative delay; even at 0 ms, the video is still ahead of the audio. I had this problem on a couple movies also. When I'm on the Blu Ray channel, I say most of the time because sometimes I need to adjust the sync in the middle of a disc. Sometimes I'll start a disc at 50 ms, and by the end I'll be up to 250 ms. So, can anyone explain what's going on here? Why am I having this problem now while I didn't on my old TV? And why is the sync fluctuating on the Blu Ray channel?

Did you ever find a solution for this? Sounds like a very particular issue. I will try to find a way to solve it somewhere else, I have no idea what's going on there.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Not even a comment from pi2loc? :(

Great collection, BS. :lol: Couldn't post earlier because I've been having issues with my internet.

Did you ever find a solution for this? Sounds like a very particular issue. I will try to find a way to solve it somewhere else, I have no idea what's going on there.

Nope, still haven't figured it out. I'll give it a go on the Blu-Ray.com forums, maybe they'll have an idea.