Home Theaters

Well I have a picture, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's 4K or 1080. I'm not seeing any display functions to show what the image is output at. 

But, from what you're saying, I'll likely need to upgrade my receiver to something that is HDCP 2.2 compliant even though it's at the end of the sequence? There's so little concrete info on UHD players online, everything seems so contradictory. 

44 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Well I have a picture, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's 4K or 1080. I'm not seeing any display functions to show what the image is output at. 

But, from what you're saying, I'll likely need to upgrade my receiver to something that is HDCP 2.2 compliant even though it's at the end of the sequence? There's so little concrete info on UHD players online, everything seems so contradictory. 

My bad, I skimmed when I replied the first time. Yeah, the K8500 doesn't have a way to show what the resolution is. It gets a lot of harsh feedback for that. 

About the receiver, as far as I know, yes, you'd have to upgrade it to 2.2 no matter what. Out of curiosity, how is your receiver at the end of the chain? Are you using ARC to send all the TV audio to the receiver?

edit-
If you're going straight from the K8500 to the TV and the TV is 2.2 (which I think we figured out, it is) then you'll be getting the 4K resolution, I'm 100% sure of that. The question mark is HDR, and I believe the answer is no with your TV model. Good news; you're seeing 4K, bad news, you're not seeing the full potential of the disc as far as brightness & color palette go.

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My bad, I skimmed when I replied the first time. Yeah, the K8500 doesn't have a way to show what the resolution is. It gets a lot of harsh feedback for that. 

About the receiver, as far as I know, yes, you'd have to upgrade it to 2.2 no matter what. Out of curiosity, how is your receiver at the end of the chain? Are you using ARC to send all the TV audio to the receiver?

edit-
If you're going straight from the K8500 to the TV and the TV is 2.2 (which I think we figured out, it is) then you'll be getting the 4K resolution, I'm 100% sure of that. The question mark is HDR, and I believe the answer is no with your TV model. Good news; you're seeing 4K, bad news, you're not seeing the full potential of the disc as far as brightness & color palette go.

I've just got an HDMI from my TV to my receiver. But I'm getting audio out of my system speakers still when I'm playing a disc on the K8500. So the only factor left to figure out in my equation is whether I have the K8500 going into one of my HDCP 2.2 ports. 

I asked more or less the same question on the blu-ray.com forums - this is the response I got:

I believe you have to use HDMI port 1 or 2 on the X850B. The TV does not have HDR capability.

The HDMI port you pick must have HDMI Enhanced enabled on the Sony. That turns on 10 bit processing. 

Deep Color on the Samsung must be off. 24 fps conversion off. 24 fps output on auto.

Resolution on the Samsung at 2160p or Auto. Chroma on auto or 4:4:4.

Sound about right, @RussTCB? Anything else I should check when setting this up properly?

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I asked more or less the same question on the blu-ray.com forums - this is the response I got:

Sound about right, @RussTCB? Anything else I should check when setting this up properly?

Nope, you should be good to go. 

I was thinking about your audio and remembered the K8500 has 2 HDMI outs to help with a non-2.2 receiver. You can send the picture to the TV with HDMI 1, then send the audio to the receiver with HDMI 2. Just make sure you set audio to "Bitstream Uncompressed" and you should be all set. 

• Like 1

Well, I've followed all those directions (Except the first one - can't find the option to turn it on), and I'm not seeing any difference in the picture in a side-by-side comparison of The DaVinci Code 4K disc and the Blu Ray. 

This 4K thing is such a fucking headache because no one seems to have the same answers about anything. I'm now reading that my TV only theoretically supports 4K playback, because 10 bit processing isn't possible on my TV. I think I just need to go to an A/V shop and see if I can get some straight answers. 

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Well, I've followed all those directions (Except the first one - can't find the option to turn it on), and I'm not seeing any difference in the picture in a side-by-side comparison of The DaVinci Code 4K disc and the Blu Ray. 

This 4K thing is such a fucking headache because no one seems to have the same answers about anything. I'm now reading that my TV only theoretically supports 4K playback, because 10 bit processing isn't possible on my TV. I think I just need to go to an A/V shop and see if I can get some straight answers. 

Well, that's what I was saying about you not being able to enjoy the HDR aspect of the 4K discs. Without a brightness of at least 1000nits and a 10bit panel, you're not going to see anything other than a possible jump in resolution depending on how well the mastering was done.

45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Well, that's what I was saying about you not being able to enjoy the HDR aspect of the 4K discs. Without a brightness of at least 1000nits and a 10bit panel, you're not going to see anything other than a possible jump in resolution depending on how well the mastering was done.

According to some people on the blu-ray.com forums, you won't even get 4K resolution without 10 bit processing. And of course since there's no display function to show resolution in the K8500, I really don't have anything to go off of other than side-by-side comparisons. I don't know, this is all so much more complicated than it was making the jump to HD in the first place :shrugs:

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

Man, TVs are complicated these days. :lol:

I think it'll be a while before I consider the UHD upgrade.

No point unless you get a deal on one. 4K, while not going the way of 3D, needs some help for people to give a shit. Dem prices gotsta fall.

2 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

No point unless you get a deal on one. 4K, while not going the way of 3D, needs some help for people to give a shit. Dem prices gotsta fall.

Definitely, and I'm certainly content with 1080. Even 720 looks great to me. The jump to HD was worth it, but this UHD thing hasn't sold me yet. How much more enjoyment can I get out of a movie in 4K than 1080? I just don't care.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

According to some people on the blu-ray.com forums, you won't even get 4K resolution without 10 bit processing. And of course since there's no display function to show resolution in the K8500, I really don't have anything to go off of other than side-by-side comparisons. I don't know, this is all so much more complicated than it was making the jump to HD in the first place :shrugs:

I can assure you that 10 bit processing has absolutely nothing to do with resolution. The 8 or 10 bit panel applies strictly to color and that's it. It's a difference of having 16 million colors and over 1 billion colors, having nothing to do with resolution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I can assure you that 10 bit processing has absolutely nothing to do with resolution. The 8 or 10 bit panel applies strictly to color and that's it. It's a difference of having 16 million colors and over 1 billion colors, having nothing to do with resolution.

In that case, does that HDMI Enhanced option in the quote I posted from blu-ray.com not actually matter in getting 4K playback? So as long as I have the UHD played hooked up to one of the HDCP 2.2 ports I should, theoretically, be good to go?

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

In that case, does that HDMI Enhanced option in the quote I posted from blu-ray.com not actually matter in getting 4K playback? So as long as I have the UHD played hooked up to one of the HDCP 2.2 ports I should, theoretically, be good to go?

Correct, you should be good to go. Your TV has an 8 bit panel, so there's no way to "turn on 10 bit processing". It does have 1 HDMI port that's HDCP 2.2 though and that's what allows the 4K resolution to pass to the TV. Only thing I can think is that whomever posted that was thinking about the fact that Sony issued a firmware update that gave 1 port the 2.2 features. That must be what they're thinking about when they say "HDMI enhanced". The probably had an uninformed sales person say something about it "enabling 10 bit processing", thus the confusion. Forgive the expression, but there's other grey areas surrounding color as well but I believe all of those have come about since your TV was made. As far as I know, your TV has an 8 bit panel with 8 bit color. So there's no enhancement for that or brightness. 

As far as not seeing a difference between you're 1080p blu-ray & 4K blu-ray of The DaVinci Code; that is probably just a mastering issue. The PQ enhancements on that particular disc probably come from the HDR aspects of the picture and not the resolution. The 1080 disc was probably downconverted from a 2K source whereas the 4K disc was essentially upscaled from the same source. So the resolution difference would be miniscule at best. 

IMO, the biggest advantage to all of this current 4K tech is all in the HDR aspects. HDR itself will be evolving again over the coming year, so the advantage of having it will grow. As of right now, a real HDR10 display provides a ton more enhancement to PQ than anything to do with resolution from everything I've seen.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not anything that I'll be buying any time soon, but I am interested in configuring a wireless surround sound home theatre system.  I really can't do wires where I'm living, so it needs to be a wireless system.  

Seems like the best option is Sonos.  Anyone own or have experience with this brand?  I'm not an audio-file so running the latest and greatest DTS or whatever isn't a huge concern.  

My biggest reservation is that their soundbar (Sonos playbar) is five years old and it seems like something that should probably be updated.  It doesn't have any HDMI inputs, just one optical connection to the TV.  I like the simplicity of it all, but worry about buying old technology.  The surround sound experience ain't cheap either ($2200 CAN).  

Anyone else have any suggestions for wireless options?

• 3 weeks later...

And I'm once again wondering how practical it is for me to have a 4K player yet. I gave Fury Road 4K a watch this morning - the first HDR disc I've watched on my system. Picture quality is great (Though I still can't see a drastic difference to the standard Blu-Ray on a side-by-side comparison) except for one thing. I'm not sure if this is a side effect of it being an HDR disc playing through a non-HDR TV or what, but the picture is heavily skewed towards the darker range. I'm sure there isn't a workaround for this other than manually adjusting my TV color settings every time I switch over to that input, which would be a pain. 

This 4K thing is just so damn frustrating. I pulled the trigger on this TV when I did because, at the time I bought it, literally everyone I talked to everywhere told me it would be fully compatible when the 4K players launched in a few months (Which ended up being almost a year and a half). Then, when they did launch, my TV is only partially compatible. I guess I should have waited until the players were actually on the market, but still - it's crazy how fast the technology moves :unsure: 

23 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

And I'm once again wondering how practical it is for me to have a 4K player yet. I gave Fury Road 4K a watch this morning - the first HDR disc I've watched on my system. Picture quality is great (Though I still can't see a drastic difference to the standard Blu-Ray on a side-by-side comparison) except for one thing. I'm not sure if this is a side effect of it being an HDR disc playing through a non-HDR TV or what, but the picture is heavily skewed towards the darker range. I'm sure there isn't a workaround for this other than manually adjusting my TV color settings every time I switch over to that input, which would be a pain. 

This 4K thing is just so damn frustrating. I pulled the trigger on this TV when I did because, at the time I bought it, literally everyone I talked to everywhere told me it would be fully compatible when the 4K players launched in a few months (Which ended up being almost a year and a half). Then, when they did launch, my TV is only partially compatible. I guess I should have waited until the players were actually on the market, but still - it's crazy how fast the technology moves :unsure: 

Pardon my confusion, but are you looking for input on a 4K TV or a 4K player? Just clarifying because initially you say about having a 4K player "yet", then say about playing a 4K disc on a non-4K TV, so I'm a little confused as to what components you're currently using :lol:

2 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Pardon my confusion, but are you looking for input on a 4K TV or a 4K player? Just clarifying because initially you say about having a 4K player "yet", then say about playing a 4K disc on a non-4K TV, so I'm a little confused as to what components you're currently using :lol:

I have a 4K player and a 4K (Non-HDR) TV. Read the last page or so of the thread, you'll see plenty of me trying to make sense of it all :lol: The current dilemma is that apparently HDR discs darken the picture significantly when played back on a non-HDR TV. 

9 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I have a 4K player and a 4K (Non-HDR) TV. Read the last page or so of the thread, you'll see plenty of me trying to make sense of it all :lol: The current dilemma is that apparently HDR discs darken the picture significantly when played back on a non-HDR TV. 

Okay I understand now. Have you done any research on blu-ray.com forums? Maybe specifically to see what are the best recommended settings for your TV?

6 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Or alternatively you could sell your TV and buy a new 4K TV :lol:

What model TV do you have?

Fourth response on this thread seems to maybe be what you're experiencing. I'm on mobile though and about to head out so hard to read into everything.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274424

Also: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=285548

28 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Or alternatively you could sell your TV and buy a new 4K TV :lol:

What model TV do you have?

Sony X850B, 55". I hate the idea of selling it and getting a new TV - it's not even 2 years old. 

20 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Fourth response on this thread seems to maybe be what you're experiencing. I'm on mobile though and about to head out so hard to read into everything.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274424

Also: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=285548

I'll check it out after work, thanks. 

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

You know, I think I'm sticking with 1080p for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Going forward you really wouldn't come to experience Dan's issue with newer TVs, though.

That said, I plan on sticking with my plasma for quite awhile. I'll future proof with blu-ray purchases, and will eventually get a player, but currently I'm not interested in a new TV at all (though OLEDs are sexyyyy).