Home Theaters

Price isn't practical for the size, imo. Will pay attention when it's affordable.

Also, maybe the best "experience" in terms of picture quality, but I could see a well built projection set up providing an actual better "experience". Just my opinion, though.

But most truly high-end projection setups cost even more than this does.

Sure projection gets you size, but it lacks in image quality unless you move right to the top end of the market. I think the contrast, saturation and resolution are equally as important as the screen size in delivering a full, "immersive" experience.

Projectors will always have issues with blacks (due to the bulb, etc) and getting black right is the most important element in the colour of your image. LED and LCD's have the same problem - dynamic-lit LED's try to get around it somewhat by dimming individual areas of the screen but it's still there.

$9000 is a lot for a 55", but if that's the price as it enters the market, it's going to be a realistic option sooner rather than later. You also have to remember that OLED screens were double the price and 1/4 of the size just a few years ago. It's always been the technology looming to display an image that truly surpasses the best that plasma can offer.

Price isn't practical for the size, imo. Will pay attention when it's affordable.

Also, maybe the best "experience" in terms of picture quality, but I could see a well built projection set up providing an actual better "experience". Just my opinion, though.

But most truly high-end projection setups cost even more than this does.

Sure projection gets you size, but it lacks in image quality unless you move right to the top end of the market. I think the contrast, saturation and resolution are equally as important as the screen size in delivering a full, "immersive" experience.

Projectors will always have issues with blacks (due to the bulb, etc) and getting black right is the most important element in the colour of your image. LED and LCD's have the same problem - dynamic-lit LED's try to get around it somewhat by dimming individual areas of the screen but it's still there.

$9000 is a lot for a 55", but if that's the price as it enters the market, it's going to be a realistic option sooner rather than later. You also have to remember that OLED screens were double the price and 1/4 of the size just a few years ago. It's always been the technology looming to display an image that truly surpasses the best that plasma can offer.

OLED's hold a lot of promise but, as the following article states, it is a very immature technology and it will be years before we see affordable TV's in large screen sizes that surpass what current plasma technology has to offer. Someday they might be the ultimate TV experience but for now I am happy with my Panny 65" VT50 plasma...doesn't get much better than that..........

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57598963-221/seven-problems-with-current-oled-televisions/

Edited by classicrawker

What do you guys think of the mitsubishi dlp tvs? I had a 60 inch and thought the picture was amazing. I sold it to my buddy and looking for another big tv for my new house. Im not moving anytime soon, so I have time. I know they don't make them anymore, but could still find them new in a couple of places. My wife and I cannot get into led. We just plain don't like the movement.

What do you mean exactly when you say you don't like the movement? The movement shouldn't be any different than what you were used to on your DLP besides the brighter picture, but I'd bet and say that the TVs you're seeing have the motion-flow setting on. It kind of makes it look too "real" or like you're watching a soap opera or something. Awful feature and now sure why anyone would use it, but most TVs have them on in the store and when people buy them they don't realize it's turned on automatically unless then turn it off out of the box.

If that's not the case and you just don't like LEDs, look into a plasma, because even thought there may have been some decent DLP TVs, they are a thing of the past and really not worth buying one used nowadays or even new if you can find one.

Yeah, if you see a TV that looks like that at the store, don't be afraid to ask them to turn it off so you can get a better feel for what the picture actually looks like. Good luck hunting and feel free to ask questions in here any time :)

I will tell them next time. They are always like that though.

Meh, looks like a gimmick to me............still not seeing how a curved screen that size gives you a more "immersive" viewing expereince if your sitting 9-12 ft away from the screen?......and you still have all the issues you get with an LED only now the off angle viewing may be worse...........

Edited by classicrawker

Yeah, the curved screen is still "meh" to me. I'll have to experience it first hand, I suppose, but I thought it was interesting that this TV is only starting out at $4000. Granted it isn't an OLED, but I'm sure it still looks great.

I'm still more interested in creating my protector setup for our basement than I am upgrading our TV right now, really.

• 1 month later...

Looking at a Panasonic 65VT60 again... They had Lord of the Rings playing on it in Best Buy and it looked great. Motion-flow wasn't on, the picture wasn't jacked up and everything. Looked great.

Panasonic plasma's do not require "motion flow" as plasma technology does not have the issue with motion lag like LCD's do. Once in while you might get some motion judder but is is minimal and they do have a setting to reduce this which works well as long as you don't crank up the setting to high as then you get the dreaded "soap opera" effect which most people find unpleasant.

I have had my 65VT50 for over a year now and it is a flawless TV IMHO. If you get on you are going to love it.

Anyone see Samsung launched a curved 55" OLED TV recently?

Samsung_Curved_OLED.jpg

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/samsung-oled-tv-review/index.htm

I thought it looked a bit silly, but some early reviews have called it the best home theatre experience ever. Maybe a new development up at the higher end of the market that doesn't suck?

How are the viewing angles? Looks like it would suck unless you sitting in the center. if you have friends over, anyone sitting off to the side would be SOL.

Anyone see Samsung launched a curved 55" OLED TV recently?

Samsung_Curved_OLED.jpg

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/samsung-oled-tv-review/index.htm

I thought it looked a bit silly, but some early reviews have called it the best home theatre experience ever. Maybe a new development up at the higher end of the market that doesn't suck?

How are the viewing angles? Looks like it would suck unless you sitting in the center. if you have friends over, anyone sitting off to the side would be SOL.

If you read the Sound and Vision magazine reviews on this TV they are impressed with the picutre quality but don't like the curved screen as they feel it distorts the picture if you are sitting at normal viewing distance.

Evidently it is expensive to make OLED panels but as the technology matures I have no doubt Mfg will come out with flat panels.............

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So my friend has a jvc lt-32da30j tv that they have connected to the pc. Got great picture through vga but no sound as it's just vga. Their is no audio jack input so can anyone who may know how to get the sound from the pc through the tv speakers. I was thinking a 3.5mm jack from the audio out of the pc to 2x rca phono leads connected to the side of the tv, would that work?