Home Theaters

They make them weird sometimes. Used to be standard size for plasmas was 37, 42, 50, 65. Then they got rid on 37's, got wonky and make 51's, 55's, 63.

Anyway 63 was the biggest Samsung made at the time, 64 might be now. I know that because my dickhole brother bought a tv 1 fucking inch bigger than mine. My sound system is better.

My main beef with plasmas are the glare. Has that been taken care of over the last few years?

I wish DLP was still around

DLP is still around, Mitsubishi is pretty much the only company that still makes them. Enjoy that light bulb replacement every couple years.

Some plasmas (usually upper end ones) have an antiglare spray on them, I know it made a lot of difference on the 50 inch Panasonic I have, my 63 inch doesn't have it though. However, what is cheaper than paying for the spray? Curtains.

Don't know about spray but my Panasonic plasma has a antiglare filter on the screen which does an excellent job with glare. DLP has some of the same issues as LED/LCD TV's related to black level in that it really does not do black very well.

People have a bias against plasma's for some strange reason but in reality nothing on the LED/LCD market except the Sharp Elite models can really challenge them for picture quality.

Spray may not have been the best word, coating perhaps? Anyway I know that for a year or 2 Samsungs would peel off. Plasmas git a bad rap because of image retention early on. "Burn in" and "outgassing" have been the 2 best terms for LCD sales ever. Also power consumption I guess is higher on plasmas (though it has been ridiculously improved like anything else) but if you're pushing 100 watts a channel on your sound system and can afford this stuff in the first place, power bills aren't really your main concern are they?

• 3 weeks later...

After spending the whole day reading about TVs I think I'm going to get the PN64F8500. :nervous:

Good choice, you can't go wrong with Samsung or Panasonic Plasma's. Best pictures of any TV out there IMHO...........

Just a suggestion but you should consider breaking it in before you watch anything but full 16:9 material on it. I ran the color slide show for the first 200 hours just to be sure but some say you only need 100 hours.

In any case Google Plasma TV break-in and read up if you buy one.......... there is a lot of good info on this out there on the subject

It's like $3000 plus over here :lol: Nice deal on your part. I'd like to upgrade, but not sure what I want to spend and if I want to wait for 4K stuff or not.

You can find it for about $2500 here in the States and, as you know, unless they changed their policy Best Buy will match the best price you find.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn64f8500/4505-6482_7-35731513.html

Going to be a while before 4K material is available. When I picked up my new Marantz AV receiver the high end Audio store had the New Sony 4K TV but they only had material to view on it that Sony gave them which was limited at best. Also unless your bluray player upscales to 4K, like an OPPO, you are better off waiting as you seem happy with your current SONY TV......JMO but if it was me I would wait a few years before I invested in a 4K TV.............

Edited by classicrawker

I am happy with it, but I'd like to sell it and upgrade. Was thinking about getting one of the new Sony's, more specifically this one: http://store.sony.com/p/60-inch-HDTV%2C-LED-TV%2C-R-Series%2C-R550%2C-genie-whole-home-DVR%2C-3D-TV%2C-Edge-LED%2C-smart-TV%2C-Full-HD/en/p/KDL60R550A

I'd like to eventually upgrade to a region free OPPO as well (just not sure if/when I want to take the plunge into a couple hundred dollar blu-ray player :tongue2:)

I hate to betray Sony though :(

I totally understand you. It was really hard for me to choose Samsung over Sony this time. I've always loved their finish (you know I own the same TV as yours - which is going to be my bedroom TV from now on). It's sad that they decided to release bigger screens with almost zero improvement (R550A), however the W900A looks amazing but the bigger TV is 55'' which is like... why would I upgrade then?

I was with you in the LED vs Plasma never-ending debate but this Samsung surprised me and it was damn cheap plus has a nice black finish which I love. :tongue2:

My advice: Buy it or wait until the end of next year to upgrade to a 4K screen.

Went into Best Buy tonight and saw the TV. It looked pretty good but honestly the new 70 inch Sony looked better, I think... I'd have to do more demos but the new Sony impressed me a little more on first sight.

Also, they had an open box Elite PRO-70X5FD my buddy said he'd give to me for $2600.

Also said he'd give me the 70 inch Sony KDL-70R550A for $2250 new.

Shit is all so tempting! :lol:

Elite

Sony

The Elite is an old model but it's a damn fine TV. And the Sony looks great, and at 70" it's quite tempting.

Still have some time before I really upgrade, I think, and I still have to sell my TV, but those are tempting.

Don't get me wrong, I saw the TV you got and it looked great, but compared to a the others I was looking at it wasn't the best. Again, that was at first look and I'll have more demos to do in the future :)

I see, but giving the case that you're upgrading you should try to get the latest TVs out there since your HX800 isn't bad but a 2010 model.

Maybe, in your case, it's better for you to get a Sony TV 'cause the F8500 is more expensive. That said, you should definitely get the 70-inch model. rock3

I'll try my TV tomorrow and I'll comment after I play with it a little bit. Any movies in particular I should try to get the best out of it? :D