Home Theaters

Don't take it so personally mate I was not attacking you just sharing my experience as I am in the business...

Not at all CR, I didn't mean for it to sound like I took your comments personally. That's why I admitted that it could be placebo - you might be right in this and I might be wrong. But I just wanted to get across that it's worth a shot, costs little to nothing to try, and whatever side people end up on is cool with me.

Yes you are correct that science can't always quantify performance but based on my engineering knowledge and experience going from the jumpers to the cables will not make much of a difference if any as the plates are so short and a heavy guage the impedance (capacitance and inductance which impacts audio signals) of them is minimal to be unmeasurable. It would be like adding 2 inchs of trace to a pcb in a circuit which I can assure you will have little effect on the overall circuit performance unless you talking very high frequency signals.....If you were to view the audio signals on a scope at both ends of the bridging plate it would look virtually identical.

Like I said as long as you are happy with the change that is all that matters but I wanted to explain why changing from the plates to cables most likely does not improve the audio quality.

I don't disagree, changing from plates to cables shouldn't make much difference but that's given what we know today about the way the signal behaves in that circumstance. I'm not an engineer and can't argue the science with you, I just try things others suggest and maybe some ideas of my own, and if the results seem to be there I roll with it.

Anyways, I'm probably ditching the speaker cables altogether as I think I'll be moving to active speakers.

no sorry for not being clear, it's on the speaker end i was referring about connecting that up to the receiver.

Would it be any good and which way to go for hf or lf?

I'm still a little confused. It's on the speaker side then, right? I'd think it should look similar to the pic I posted, but all speakers will lay out the terminals differently and therefore they will look different. The point being though that there are four terminals, two (+ and -) low freq. and two (+ and -) high freq.

I tend to use the LF terminals but I've had speakers where the manufacturer recommended connecting to the HF terminals. You should be able to use either though to be honest, but I'd follow the recommendations on set up if any are made.

Sorry if I am still not understanding. Linking to a pic online might help if that's the case.

How do these types of home projectors compare to high-def LCD/Plasma tvs?

l1be60344-m12o.jpg

l761cd143-w10o.jpg

Surely their main advantage is size, but modern tvs can easily be had at 70-90" or so, and I can't imagine the projector based setup having anywhere near comparable image resolution, colour sharpness and depth, etc. What am I missing?

Edited by PappyTron

How do these types of home projectors compare to high-def LCD/Plasma tvs?

l1be60344-m12o.jpg

l761cd143-w10o.jpg

Surely their main advantage is size, but modern tvs can easily be had at 70-90" or so, and I can't imagine the projector based setup having anywhere near comparable image resolution, colour sharpness and depth, etc. What am I missing?

Actually there are some HD projectors which give amazing picture quality but they can be very expensive compared to an average LED/Plasma TV's.

Advantages:

1. very large picture which gives you cinema like experience

2. picture is little softer but more cinmea like

3. Compact size is less intrusive

Disadvantages

1. Bulb life is about 2 years if you watch it about 4+ hours a day and bulbs cost $200-400 to replace

2. Standard Def will not look very good due to the size of the screen

3. Dos not work well with ambine tlight so you need a dark room to really enjoy

Okay, that is pretty much what I suspected. I have just started noticing a lot of people having projectors as opposed to TVs lately, so was wondering why they have become more popular other than the cost coming down. The whole "cinema experience" would be great if you watched a lot of films and had the volume up loud, shaking the house and all that, I suppose.

Thanks for the tips, you two.

Okay, that is pretty much what I suspected. I have just started noticing a lot of people having projectors as opposed to TVs lately, so was wondering why they have become more popular other than the cost coming down. The whole "cinema experience" would be great if you watched a lot of films and had the volume up loud, shaking the house and all that, I suppose.

Thanks for the tips, you two.

Bulb life ruined it for me when I was looking. 200 bucks every couple years as an operating expense sucks.

Yeah, but look at it this way somewhat - a 90 inch TV is $10,000. You can get a more than great projector for around $2,000, and with a good screen of the same size, you're still under $3,000. So it'll be a number of years before you even catch up to the price you could have paid for an actual TV of the same screen size.

Also, a lot of people who have high end projectors are only using them for movie / show viewing, maybe around 3 hours max a night, if that, and if even every night. If the bulb life is around 4,000 hours, with movies around 2 hours each, 2000 views is pretty damn good especially considering most people probably don't watch 2000 movies in a year, let alone even 1000 a year :lol:

Ah you gorget football season my friend. That bumps you up to a solid 8-9 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

Well I'm not a hooray for tolerance! so I don't have to factor that in.

I probably don't even watch 5 hours of television a week.

Interesting. Any reason you were inquiring about projection setups? Just curiosity?

I wish I had the room for a set up like that, but it's probably best that I don't (for now). I definitely plan on doing one eventually, though. I can't help but look at some setups on here http://www.blu-ray.c...s&gallerytype=0 and dream of having something close to some of those one day.

Sabbath - just curious is all. I ended up looking at some videos on YouTube etc and my curiosity just went from there. How people are treating their televisions today reminds me of how people were into high-end audio equipment back in the 90s and early 2000s.

EDIT - I mean, things like the below are just ridiculous:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Mr.Poindexter&folderid=4272

Edited by PappyTron

Sabbath - just curious is all. I ended up looking at some videos on YouTube etc and my curiosity just went from there. How people are treating their televisions today reminds me of how people were into high-end audio equipment back in the 90s and early 2000s.

http://www.blu-ray.c...r&folderid=4272

Set up wise, that's nice. The room itself is kind of bland though, not a fan. I like the more "personalized" ones. Though, if you have the money, and it's something you love, I personally see nothing wrong with it.

http://www.blu-ray.c...r&folderid=4272

Set up wise, that's nice. The room itself is kind of bland though, not a fan. I like the more "personalized" ones. Though, if you have the money, and it's something you love, I personally see nothing wrong with it.

How much would a setup like that cost though?

Okay, personally I'd go for the least number of drivers possible (not counting single driver speakers) that will sufficiently pressurize the room with sound. So that would be a 2-way in many rooms. Integrating drivers so that the overall sound is cohesive is a challenge, and larger cabinets with more drivers stuffed inside means that less money goes to things like build quality and crossovers. Smaller cabinets are also inherently stronger than large ones. That said, if your room is large then a well built 3-way tower would likely be the way to go. For HT I always recommend the Monitor Audio RX series...beautiful speakers, well built, efficient, and they sound good. Or the Wharfedale Evo2 series...lovely sound, curved cabinets, a little less efficient but not much so.