Home Theaters

Word of advice to people looking at cheap home theatre systems (sub 1000 for speakers/receiver/DVD/blu ray) from Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc- you're better off getting a cheaper surround sound system from someone like Logitech. It'll cost you less and sound better than that crap if you're not ready to splurge on higher-end gear. Used to test the higher end 'PC' speakers alongside the low-end home theatre systems when I worked in retail and was often astonished to find how much better the stuff we were selling in our home office section would sound.

There are towers, rear surrounds, and centers in the Monitor Series. I have the TSi series (which come to think of it, replaced the Monitors) and they're fantastic, got a pretty good deal on them at Newegg with a receiver. Read reviews, look around, ask a friend who knows about this stuff, and like CR said, go to a home audio store and ask to demo some speakers.

^ Also known as "biggest overkill ever" for such a small space. You better hope you just buy a house when you move out of there, because you'll get noise complaints ALL....THE...TIME in an apartment complex.

And lol I have the same shitty Wal-Mart futon, 80 bucks on Craigslist.

It also would have been a big waste for me to upgrade the set every time I move into a bigger spot. I'm not an idiot, if I'm in an apartment I'm obviously not going to blare it how loud it really can go.

I bought it all now while I have the money and less bills, so I don't have to worry about it later.

I look at it this way, I could have spent all the money on drugs, suped up some shitty '95 Honda civic like a hooray for tolerance!, or bought my home theater system. I'm happy with my purchases, even if I'll have to restrain it from time to time.

I'm a big fan of the Bose systems. It might be small, but pacts a good punch! I like it a whole lot better than most of the 1000 watt systems out there.

I used to sell them. They usually retail at a 50-60% markup and are inferior to most other systems in the same price range.

Not trying to rag on your decision, each to their own, but I rarely recommended it to anyone, unless they liked their speakers to look particularly good.... Which is something Bose are good at I guess.

I'm a big fan of the Bose systems. It might be small, but pacts a good punch! I like it a whole lot better than most of the 1000 watt systems out there.

I used to sell them. They usually retail at a 50-60% markup and are inferior to most other systems in the same price range.

In all fairness, that's for just about any high-end speakers. Just the regular employee discount puts the speakers I got at 50% off, and if you have a higher certification you can get up to 70% off. That's not to say they aren't worth the full price, but still.

In all fairness, that's for just about any high-end speakers. Just the regular employee discount puts the speakers I got at 50% off, and if you have a higher certification you can get up to 70% off. That's not to say they aren't worth the full price, but still.

This was about two years ago, and the store I worked at really lacked any true "high end" gear - but I distinctly remember that Bose gear had the largest margins out of anything else we sold in our department, our computer system let us see the cost price of our goods. They also fixed the price of all their current stock; we weren't allowed to mark their stuff down until newer stuff was on the market. This was to encourage us to sell it (we made a huge profit) and to create the illusion to the consumer that it was a "premium" brand.

I also remember how the Bose displays were set up - PC speakers and ipod docks would sit on these big, hollow wooden cabs that Bose provided us that reverberated the sound and made them sound significantly louder than our other gear in the display case. Their "home theatre" system was set up with the rear speakers directly behind your head; so the person listening to them would be engulfed in a 2-feet-square envelope of surround sound to exaggerate their effect. If you tried setting them up in a normal display setting (like someone would at home), they really didn't sound that good at all.

I especially didn't like their headphones/earphones.... Those were awful in comparison to my audio technicas which cost a whole heap less and were made in Japan.

Over priced, maybe. The important thing is that my guests and I enjoy them. What do you guys have? I don't want to go back and search

Absolutely man, and keep in mind, a bunch of us are audiophiles :lol: So please don't get offended. I don't think Bose are the best, but they definitely aren't the worst.

I have a 7.2 Definitive Technology system, but my entire Home Theater consists of:

3D Sony Bravia 55HX800

Pioneer Elite VSX-52

Definitive Technology BP-8060 (x2)

Definitive Technology CS-8060

Definitive Technology SM-55 (x2)

Definitive Technology SR-8040P (x2)

PS3