Home Theaters

I used to have a tv that had an audio out option, i.e red and white phono sockets. All i had to do was plug them into there and then opposite end into the surround sound system and hey presto whatever i was using the tv for the sound would work. Tv channel, blu ray, xbox 360. Now with my new tv i don't have that option just audio in and a digital optical connection in back of the tv. Is there a special connector or workaround to get it to use any source i choose on the tv?

That all depends on what you're looking for and honestly how much you're willing to spend. "Decent" can mean different things to different people.

As far as the TV goes, I'd say the range would be from $1,400-$2,000, but I believe you said you already have a new TV.

As far as the blu-ray player goes, I use my PS3 and honestly believe it's the best player out there (aside from Oppos, but those don't play PS3 games :P), as far as bang-for-your-buck goes.

Speakers? This is where it can really break the bank, especially when the receiver comes into play. My receiver alone is worth nearly $700, but then again, not everyone has the speakers an amp like this would need amplify. The other stuff is more straightforward, but the speakers is where it really starts to get scattered and can cause a big price jump.

All in all, all of the components of my Home Theater estimate at around $7,000 (TV, speakers, receiver, power center, PS3)

But again, not everyone wants or needs all the stuff I have.

If you want to build a home theater system, though (speakers mainly), I would highly suggest starting with a receiver and then over time buying your speakers separately.

I used to have a tv that had an audio out option, i.e red and white phono sockets. All i had to do was plug them into there and then opposite end into the surround sound system and hey presto whatever i was using the tv for the sound would work. Tv channel, blu ray, xbox 360. Now with my new tv i don't have that option just audio in and a digital optical connection in back of the tv. Is there a special connector or workaround to get it to use any source i choose on the tv?

The optical connection is an output, so you need to get an optical audio cable and connect that to your surround sound. If your surround sound cant take the digital signal, you can get an RCA->optical converter pretty cheaply and put that between the TV and the surround sound unit.

Quick shitty phone pictures of my little home theater corner in my room:

30vn579.jpg

e8kb2b.jpg

Never mind the wires, that's another project for another day.

^ Also known as "biggest overkill ever" for such a small space. You better hope you just buy a house when you move out of there, because you'll get noise complaints ALL....THE...TIME in an apartment complex.

And lol I have the same shitty Wal-Mart futon, 80 bucks on Craigslist.

Edited by AxlisOld

Yes but most decent receivers will run a ballpark of 2-400. Any more than that and you'll just be buying something you aren't fully utilizing (most people anyway).

No that is not entirely true as more expensive receivers do offer better quality sound as they use better quality components but I agree for the average person you can get a $2-300 receiver and be very happy.

PS3 is a decent bluray if you are a gamer but if you are not you can save money and get an excellent performing Panasonic bluray player for about $100

You can put together a decent home theater package of receiver, bluray and speakers for much less than $1000

http://www.amazon.co...pd_sim_sbs_ce_6 That is very expensive and a little and by little i mean quite a bit over my budget. I was looking at this item on amazon. Tell me what you think.

Sounds like you have a strict budget so I would suggest you go to the stores and demo systems in your price range as only you can determine what sounds good in your budget..........I would never buy a system without listening to it first........

I have the tv and a sony blu ray player.

In that case any brand name receiver in the $2-300 price range should work for you but you really should go demo speakers as this is the one component which needs to be demo'd as everyone hears things differently.......

Edited by classicrawker

Demo systems? demo speakers? What store can i do this in?

Don't know where you live so can't recommend where to go. Any place near your house where they sell TV's would probably work................Like I said any brand name receiver, like Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer etc will work for you so all you need to do is find a place to listen to speaker systems in you budget........