Home Theaters

So, for all of the audio/picture savvy people on the board, what are your home theater set ups like?

I don't feel like taking a picture of mine right now, but this is what is consists of, as of now (still building on):

- Sony 55" 3D LED-LCD HDTV

- Denon 630W 7.1 Channel Receiver

- PS3

- Two Definitve Technology BP-8060 Floorstanding Speakers

I'll post a picture at another time.

So, what about you guys? smile.gif

Pictures would be awesome!

edit: before it starts, i am not spoiled. i have paid for all of these things myself at my discounted price. so get fucked.

No pics, but I have a wicked Bose system. I wish I remembered what model. Fucker is so loud and clear, I sometime crank it in the mancave, and listen on one game while surfing the net while in another part of the house.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally pulled the trigger on a new Marantz SR7008 9.2 surround sound receiver and have one on preorder which will be available end of July. It will replace my 14 year old Marantz SR8000 5.1 receiver which still runs flawlessly but can't decode HD movie audio formats so it was time to upgrade.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR7008

Got my second bass module and 4 additional surrounds ready for install......

Also here is an interesting shootout between the new Panasonic/ Samsung plasma's and new top of the line LCD panels.

No surprise here as the plasma's blow away the LCD TV's

http://www.hometheater.com/content/value-electronics-hdtv-shootout-and-then-there-were-three

And for you audio/video geeks like myself here are videos of the TV shootout.....

http://www.youtube.com/hdtvshootout

Edited by classicrawker

CR you know that a lot of Blu Ray players can decode DTS-MA and DD+ and send it to your receiver as PCM right?

Yup, but since my old Marantz receiver from 1999 does not have HDMI inputs I cannot send LPCM converted HD DD or DTS-MA to my receiver digitally since the coaxial and optical connections do not have the bandwidth to support this uncompressed multichannel audio...and I have no desire to run 6 more cables from the analog audio out on my OPPO bluray to my old Marantz to get the uncompressed LPCM audio...........Hence the desire to upgrade....

Besides the new Marantz SR7008 will drive 9.2 channels, and I have a second bass module and surrounds sitting in a closet waiting for this receiver. I have a nice big family room which is perfect for another bass module and more surrounds.

The new Marantz also has the top of the line Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room calibration capability which I have heard demoed and it does a great job EQing the sound of a system to match the room acoustics.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Edited by classicrawker

I have about a 500 square foot rectangular shaped family room with a 12 foot vaulted ceiling. My 65" Panasonic plasma sits on a cabinet which holds the electronics at one end and the room was wired for 5.1 when they built the house so the rear surrounds are mounted to the rear wall. The couches are just about even distance from the TV/ front surrounds and the rear surrounds so it should EQ up nicely.

Plenty of room for another bass module on the other side of the TV and all I need to do is run some wire for the rear wide surrounds which is no big deal. I will put the front wides on speaker stands so they will not take up much room. Can't wait to hear it when done.........just need to decide what bluray to demo first after everything is wired up and EQ'd.......

Edited by classicrawker

I have about a 500 square foot rectangular shaped family room with a 12 foot vaulted ceiling. My 65" Panasonic plasma sits on a cabinet which holds the electronics at one end and the room was wired for 5.1 when they built the house so the rear surrounds are mounted to the rear wall. The couches are just about even distance from the TV/ front surrounds and the rear surrounds so it should EQ up nicely.

Plenty of room for another bass module on the other side of the TV and all I need to do is run some wire for the rear wide surrounds which is no big deal. I will put the front wides on speaker stands so they will not take up much room. Can't wait to hear it when done.........just need to decide what bluray to demo first after everything is wired up and EQ'd.......

Fight Club, airplane scene.

Why would anyone who considers themselves audio/videophiles ever pick an LED/LCD TV over a Plasma?

This shootout pretty much sums it up

In terms of who "won" the competition, based on the popular votes, the Samsung F8500 plasma eeked out a win over the Panasonic plasma sets and trounced the LED/LCD competition. Attendees noted its bright whites, excellent color saturation and overall dynamic picture quality.

audience-votes.jpg

If you look only at the Expert votes (including the calibrators), first and second place were reversed with the Panasonic sets tied for first and the Samsung plasma taking second place.

expert-votes.jpg

Did he say trounced? oh my............. :shock:

Just busting your stones BS...seriously you should buy the TV which you like the best and Sony makes excellent TV's.........

"Now, where do I plug in the nozzle to refill it?" Lol

I think I know why most of the people in Home Theater depts don't know anything. If you try to tell most people why a tv is good, they stare at you blankly. They just go to the LEDs (no offense BS) and say "It's so thin and bright!"

My main beef with plasmas are the glare. Has that been taken care of over the last few years?

I wish DLP was still around

DLP is still around, Mitsubishi is pretty much the only company that still makes them. Enjoy that light bulb replacement every couple years.

Some plasmas (usually upper end ones) have an antiglare spray on them, I know it made a lot of difference on the 50 inch Panasonic I have, my 63 inch doesn't have it though. However, what is cheaper than paying for the spray? Curtains.