Home Theaters

I have a weird problem with my system which involves GN'R. My blu-ray player and tv connected via a reciever/amplifier play all blu rays and dvds fine, yet when i try and watch a guns dvd or guns blu ray (paris 1992) every like 25-30 mins the picture flickers off for a couple of seconds then the picture returns with the HDMI2 sign at the top 60hz blah blah. It's driving me mad and as i say any other blu ray or dvd i watch no problem. Any thoughts?

• 5 months later...

Probably a stupid question, but I feel better asking it here than on the Blu-Ray.com forum :lol: What exactly happens when you watch something in 7.1 on a 5.1 system? Does the system somehow consolidate the 7 channels down to 5, or do you just lose 2 channels altogether? The Fury Road BD got me wondering this.

Still haven't solved my audio delay issue if anyone is wondering. Someone on the B-R.com forum told me to turn off the audio processing in either the TV or the player (Cant remember which), but I didn't see the option to do so :question:

To what I understand, it plays it as lossy 5.1 core audio.

Google that more if you want because I don't feel like getting in to all that :lol:

As for your other issue, I wish I had an answer for you. I have audio on my TV turned off and everything (cable, video games, blu rays, etc.) gets played through the receiver and speakers and there's no issue, so not exactly what to say there?

I dumped a ton of money into my audio set up over the past year and really neglected my home theater.

I have a mid range 55" TV currently and a so so soundbar. I really need to get around to upgrading my whole home theater sound system, then replace my TV early next year.

• 1 month later...

Due to a ridiculous hook up, I pulled the trigger on a 4K TV last night. Pretty damn happy with it so far.

:awesomeface:

Samsung I presume? Mine is Sony, but I've been very happy with it, other than this sound lag issue I've continually been posting about and still can't seem to resolve.

Speaking of my sound issue - Nosaj, you had any luck on getting to the bottom of it?

Due to a ridiculous hook up, I pulled the trigger on a 4K TV last night. Pretty damn happy with it so far.

:awesomeface:

Samsung I presume? Mine is Sony, but I've been very happy with it, other than this sound lag issue I've continually been posting about and still can't seem to resolve.

Speaking of my sound issue - Nosaj, you had any luck on getting to the bottom of it?

Yeah, I got a 55JS7000. I watched a few things on Netflix in 4K last night which looked awesome of course. I'm really liking the upscaler on 720/1080 content though. We have Uverse which generally looks like shit, but the upscaler in this has really improved the shitty signal it's getting. I haven't played any games on it, but the response time is pretty damn low so I'm assuming the PS4 will look great on it too.

• Like 1

I'm still more than happy with my Plasma so I don't plan on getting a new TV any time soon (unless my Sony dies, but hopefully that doesn't happen!)

Probably because plasma offers superior picture quality and refresh rate?

Well yeah, but I was just saying in a general sense :lol:

4K just doesn't interest me much currently. Eventually though, probably.

I'm still more than happy with my Plasma so I don't plan on getting a new TV any time soon (unless my Sony dies, but hopefully that doesn't happen!)

Probably because plasma offers superior picture quality and refresh rate?

Well yeah, but I was just saying in a general sense :lol:

4K just doesn't interest me much currently. Eventually though, probably.

JMO but if I owned a good quality Plasma TV, which I do, I would not be in a hurry to upgrade to 4K.

I have read that 4K provides no noticeable benefit at normal viewing distances, say 10-12 feet, unless you get above an 80" screen size.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

Plasma HD kicks LCD HD's TV's ass picture performance wise.

4K LCD TV's have the same flaws, motion blurring, off axis picture washout, Inferior black level, as regular HD LCD TV's.

It sucks that a superior technology dies for no good reason.

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/death-of-plasma-tv.html

Oh trust me, I completely agree. I've never watched a 4K presentation on a 4K TV so I can't speak for it in that aspect, but any 4K I've seen so far hasn't "wow'd" me displaying anything else and I'd definitely say my plasma puts off a superior picture, 4K television or not.

And for reference, I have a Panasonic Plasma 65" VT60