Has Chinese Democracy achieved cult status?

saber_

I've turned almost everyone I know on to it. Sometimes, I have to frame it the right way for them to give it a fair shot, but the more they listen to it they more they get it the more they like it. If I'm just playing it casually and don't tell people what it is, a lot of people will be digging on it. If I tell them its new Guns then they'll kind of reassess things (cause the name carries baggage for a lot of people). Some people have honestly heard it, recognized Axl's voice, told me how much they liked it, and how pissed they are that Axl f'd the band up no realizing that the shit they're digging on is the new band. Usually I'll try to just get people to listen to it as GNR without divulging that its new GNR. They seem to be more objective about it that way. A lot of people just don't want to admit that they like it at first listen, because of public perception of Axl. That's my experience at least.

You claim to you're not trying to convince anyone yet you keep repeating over and over the reason people claim to not like the album is because they have some agenda against Axl.........could it be that it just is not that a compelling an album or is just plain mediocre?

Or it's a great album, but some people just don't care for that kind of musical approach. Just because some don't like it, or even many, doesn't mean it's not a compelling album or mediocre.

Sure it such a great album people just don't want to listen to it..................... :lol:

Is that how you determine if an album is great or not? By how many people listen to it? I guess all of Bieber's albums are great, and the Velver Underground's (just an example) were shit.

Exactly. I don't understand how album sales are any sort of indicator of artistic merit...especially when it comes to rock n roll...especially in today's industry.

Who said anything about album sales mate? I never brought that up once....my only point is you keep bringing up this argument that people don't give it fair shake because of Axl or that people just don't happen to understand or like such overblown production and I call bullshit...I am a prog fan who loves Yes, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree etc. and I find ChiDem mediocre at best and it has nothing to do with my opinion of Axl...I also know a number of music fans who think it is shite and they know little about what happened to GnR or Axl's antics...they just don't think the music is very good.......................

I happen to think Ritchie Blackmore is a bigger asshole then Axl yet I love all the music he makes including Blackmore's Night which many Deep Purple fans hate so my dislike of ChiDem has nothing to do with Axl.................

I never understood Axl and ChiDem defenders need to justify why it never gained popular acceptance as if they get some secret the rest of us are missing and some day we are all going to suddenly love the album......as long as you think it is good why do you care that others think it is not very good?

Edited by classicrawker

It's a failure because Best Buy lost money. The record company got just enough to cover the album's production cost. Best Buy didn't sell enough to break even.

No one profited + 1 partner took a big loss = failure.

and also they had to sell their stockpile of it for $1.99 and then give it to dollar stores. Never heard of a successful album having THAT happen to it.

Edited by Chris 55

It's a failure because Best Buy lost money. The record company got just enough to cover the album's production cost. Best Buy didn't sell enough to break even.

and also they had to sell their stockpile of it for $1.99 and then give it to dollar stores. Never heard of a successful album having THAT happen to it.

wrong thread

A 13+ million dollar flop.

Also, attaching a cult label to it to try to make it seem cooler is off-base here.

CD was known about enough to never claim it has a cult following. There's nothing underground about CD except for it's aspirations.

Edited by Rustycage

Cult isnt necessarily underground. Star wars has a cult following. I dont think CD has a cult following though.

Best buy did what they wanted to promote it. its there policy means they can soak up under sellers.

The BB deal distorts things. Even so in the US CD entered top 5? Behind The Killers.

Any promo done it would sell the same. Maybe a general release would increase the first week sales. It was no smash hit but has done resonably overall.

So CD was a massive commercial flop yet

it was too big to be "cult?"

Its always gonna come down to an Axl v. Slash thing for some people

I like the record

others don't

others do

Some people like cupcakes exclusively

While myself, I say there is not nor ought there be

anything so exalted on the face of God's great earth

as that prince of foods....

The Muffin

So CD was a massive commercial flop yet

it was too big to be "cult?"

Is that hard to understand?

Someone mentioned Star Wars. Star Wars was big in it's time and still has that following.

CD, just because it didn't interest the masses doesn't mean it has a cult following only 5 years later. The mention of GNR doesn't spark any thoughts of CD like a mention of George Lucas for Star Wars or Stanley Kubrick for Clockwork Orange or The Shining.

If everything that had only a small following was to be considered cult, then every thing out of the mainstream has to be cult. Then the word means jack shit.

Edited by Rustycage