Has Chinese Democracy achieved cult status?

saber_

I still have yet to meet one person outside of these forums that has told me that they liked Chinese Democracy.

If it's a cult classic, it has to be the smallest cult in the history of mankind.

Personally, I think its biggest downfall was the not one moment of brilliance thing.

It's not surprising that Axl hasn't recorded since.

• Like 2

Would you consider Chinese Democracy to be a cult record? As in- a cult classic? While that term is often applied to films, it is perhaps apt to apply it to Chinese Democracy as well. Would you agree?

I believe that in some ways, it definitely meets the criteria. It's got elements of experimental leanings, various genre influences, and an interwoven myriad of unique sounds, timbres, and aural textures. Those things in and of themselves don't equal cult, but taken as a whole, Chinese Democracy might just be a cult record.

it falls more along the lines of waterworld than daydream nation if that is what you are asking.

i liken it more to ishtar, than office space.

this is fair

Waterworld is unfairly criticised, I think that flick is actually pretty decent, especially compared with the trash hollywood produces these days

and... Kevin Costner.

I just can't believe that within the delusions of these forum walls this is even discussed as a possibility. It just will never be looked at that way. CD will never be a cult classic the way we know the term. Classic among a tiny handful of fans? Sure but to compare it to the way we view cult classic movies like say The Breakfast Club which is more popular now than it was during the time no. CD is less relevant now, less people listen to it and it's going to continue to diminish in that very small popularity. There is nothing about it that will ever strike with a new generation, it wasn't popular enough to maintain a nostalgia factor. It's just false hopes and dreams of internet nerds wanting this album to succeed in some manner at some point. It's run it's course There will not be a revival of this album in any manner. Definitely not cult classic.[/quote

I'm not sur u can say dat.ultimatelt axl laid down the ultimate late 90s GNR album. I'm not sur about the cult thing. It's cult tinged. If it was a chick a chick is a chick I'd fuck it.

I just can't believe that within the delusions of these forum walls this is even discussed as a possibility. It just will never be looked at that way. CD will never be a cult classic the way we know the term. Classic among a tiny handful of fans? Sure but to compare it to the way we view cult classic movies like say The Breakfast Club which is more popular now than it was during the time no. CD is less relevant now, less people listen to it and it's going to continue to diminish in that very small popularity. There is nothing about it that will ever strike with a new generation, it wasn't popular enough to maintain a nostalgia factor. It's just false hopes and dreams of internet nerds wanting this album to succeed in some manner at some point. It's run it's course There will not be a revival of this album in any manner. Definitely not cult classic.[/quote

I'm not sur u can say dat.ultimatelt axl laid down the ultimate late 90s GNR album. I'm not sur about the cult thing. It's cult tinged. If it was a chick a chick is a chick I'd fuck it.

I just can't believe that within the delusions of these forum walls this is even discussed as a possibility. It just will never be looked at that way. CD will never be a cult classic the way we know the term. Classic among a tiny handful of fans? Sure but to compare it to the way we view cult classic movies like say The Breakfast Club which is more popular now than it was during the time no. CD is less relevant now, less people listen to it and it's going to continue to diminish in that very small popularity. There is nothing about it that will ever strike with a new generation, it wasn't popular enough to maintain a nostalgia factor. It's just false hopes and dreams of internet nerds wanting this album to succeed in some manner at some point. It's run it's course There will not be a revival of this album in any manner. Definitely not cult classic.

I can see you're still high, bro.

Edited by EvH

Catcher is probably the most cult song on the album. Has that timeless Beatles/Guns/Queen thing going on and the themes have enough meat on them to keep people coming back to it.

The Beatles?! come on mate really?
Yeah, come on. Guns and Queen ain't nearly as overrated as the beatles

Catcher is probably the most cult song on the album. Has that timeless Beatles/Guns/Queen thing going on and the themes have enough meat on them to keep people coming back to it.

Maybe so but comparing anything from ChiDem to the Beatles is just ridiculous............and I am not even a Beatles fan.............

Edited by classicrawker

Maybe so but comparing anything from ChiDem to the Beatles is just ridiculous............and I am not even a Beatles fan.............

False. Anything can be compared when opinions are the only thing being discussed. Nobody is right or wrong no matter who claims otherwise.

• Like 1

False. Anything can be compared when opinions are the only thing being discussed. Nobody is right or wrong no matter who claims otherwise.
And it is in my opinon that Chinese >>> any album by the beatles with the possible exception of let it be

I've turned almost everyone I know on to it. Sometimes, I have to frame it the right way for them to give it a fair shot, but the more they listen to it they more they get it the more they like it. If I'm just playing it casually and don't tell people what it is, a lot of people will be digging on it. If I tell them its new Guns then they'll kind of reassess things (cause the name carries baggage for a lot of people). Some people have honestly heard it, recognized Axl's voice, told me how much they liked it, and how pissed they are that Axl f'd the band up no realizing that the shit they're digging on is the new band. Usually I'll try to just get people to listen to it as GNR without divulging that its new GNR. They seem to be more objective about it that way. A lot of people just don't want to admit that they like it at first listen, because of public perception of Axl. That's my experience at least.

I gave you specific examples but you just shrugged it off. I wasn't comparing the greatness of The Beatles to Catcher.

In places it reminds me a lot of The Beatles more in the sounds and structure. I'm a huge Beatles fan so maybe I'm more familiar with the songs cause I've heard them all for so many times.

Edited by Rovim

A lot of people just don't want to admit that they like it at first listen, because of public perception of Axl. That's my experience at least.

You need new friends.

All my friends based their opinion on the album by how the songs sounded to them. Some liked the songs, most didn't. What kind of person doesn't like a song because of what happened between band members 20 years ago?

And of course CD isn't a cult classic. Not even close. That's just an idiotic statement (no offense to whomever said it was).

It's been more than five years and CD isn't making a comeback or becoming more popular or drawing a new round of fans.

Still is my favorite album of the last decade. But cult classic? Lol, not even close. That's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I've turned almost everyone I know on to it. Sometimes, I have to frame it the right way for them to give it a fair shot, but the more they listen to it they more they get it the more they like it. If I'm just playing it casually and don't tell people what it is, a lot of people will be digging on it. If I tell them its new Guns then they'll kind of reassess things (cause the name carries baggage for a lot of people). Some people have honestly heard it, recognized Axl's voice, told me how much they liked it, and how pissed they are that Axl f'd the band up no realizing that the shit they're digging on is the new band. Usually I'll try to just get people to listen to it as GNR without divulging that its new GNR. They seem to be more objective about it that way. A lot of people just don't want to admit that they like it at first listen, because of public perception of Axl. That's my experience at least.

You claim to you're not trying to convince anyone yet you keep repeating over and over the reason people claim to not like the album is because they have some agenda against Axl.........could it be that it just is not that a compelling an album or is just plain mediocre?

You claim to you're not trying to convince anyone yet you keep repeating over and over the reason people claim to not like the album is because they have some agenda against Axl.........could it be that it just is not that a compelling an album or is just plain mediocre?

What are the criteria we use to determine whether an album is mediocre or not?

Or it's a great album, but some people just don't care for that kind of musical approach. Just because some don't like it, or even many, doesn't mean it's not a compelling album or mediocre.

Edited by Rovim

That's just my opinion mate. You don't have to agree with it. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. If thats how you feel about it, that's fine. I never mentioned an agenda though.

Or it's a great album, but some people just don't care for that kind of musical approach. Just because some don't like it, or even many, doesn't mean it's not a compelling album or mediocre.

Sure it such a great album people just don't want to listen to it..................... :lol:

A lot of people just don't want to admit that they like it at first listen, because of public perception of Axl. That's my experience at least.

You need new friends.

All my friends based their opinion on the album by how the songs sounded to them. Some liked the songs, most didn't. What kind of person doesn't like a song because of what happened between band members 20 years ago?

And of course CD isn't a cult classic. Not even close. That's just an idiotic statement (no offense to whomever said it was).

It's been more than five years and CD isn't making a comeback or becoming more popular or drawing a new round of fans.

Still is my favorite album of the last decade. But cult classic? Lol, not even close. That's ridiculous.

I don't think its an idiotic statement. I think CD has gained traction in the past 5 years. I think there's critical reappraisal out there that will back it up... and the songs are increasingly well-received at shows. Again, you don't have to like it or think its a cult classic. I'm just posting my opinions about it, its status, its merit, why people like it, why they don't, etc. When it comes to music its all just a matter of opinion or personal taste anyway. I don't base what I listen to or what like on what someone else thinks.

Sure it such a great album people just don't want to listen to it..................... :lol:

Is that how you determine if an album is great or not? By how many people listen to it? I guess all of Bieber's albums are great, and the Velver Underground's (just an example) were shit.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Is that how you determine if an album is great or not? By how many people listen to it? I guess all of Bieber's albums are great, and the Velver Underground's (just an example) were shit.

Exactly. I don't understand how album sales are any sort of indicator of artistic merit...especially when it comes to rock n roll...especially in today's industry.

Axl said something about there being a Beatles part in Riad. I think was something Bullfrog off Yellow Submarine.

Shacklers is very Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

The way Axl paces the sounds is kind of Beatlesy. I could imagine Axl singing Let it Be.

Edited by wasted

Plus it sold in the millions. A lot of people listened to it, and we have no real way of knowing how many people still listen to it, or that liked it, and still enjoy it.

Even in terms of sales I don't think it was the colossal failure some make it out to be. Records just don't sell like they use to. I'm sure there are a lot of people who like Slash's recent solo stuff and CD outsold them combined. So should that be used as reason to summarily dismiss it? I don't think album sales have ever been a good indicator of artistic merit. I don't think that in CD's case or Slash's case. Like I said, its all a matter of your personal taste. If you don't like it, cool. Listen to something you like.