Have You Ever Met a New GNR Fan Outside of the Forums?

cancerface

About a week after launch I was going through the drive through with CD playing and the kid at the window asked me if I was listening to the new GNR. I said yes, and asked him if he had heard it yet. He said that he bought it the day after launch, and that he liked it a lot better than he thought he would. The kid was only around 16 but he said he was a big fan of the old stuff as well, and he thought that he wouldn't like it as much without Slash. I agreed that it was really good and took my food and left. That is the only discussion that I have had with a complete stranger, about CD.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a few, a guy from the recordstore, who sold me CD and kept on talking about it for 30min.

One of the guys from the gardenercompany, who are taking care of my garden once in a while.

And a guy I talked to in a pub. That's it, not many, most never heard of CD.

Yes a few, a guy from the recordstore, who sold me CD and kept on talking about it for 30min.

One of the guys from the gardenercompany, who are taking care of my garden once in a while.

Which is a shame really. It's a good album if some people can get past that a guitarist who left 15 year's ago is'nt on it.

Which is a shame really. It's a good album if some people can get past that a guitarist who left 15 year's ago is'nt on it.

Since I came out I met one guy that liked it and one that said there were some good and awful songs on it... Other than that, no.... It is sad what a joke GnR has become...

Since I came out I met one guy that liked it and one that said there were some good and awful songs on it... Other than that, no.... It is sad what a joke GnR has become...

How about before you came out?

don't be so quick to discount the possibility that some people may just not like that kind of music. it could honestly have nothing to do with axl, and more to do with the fact that there aren't many metal/industrial/techno/andrewlloydwebber bands tearing up the charts.

or it could be that everyone in the real world cares as passionately about axl and slash as you and i do. i don't know though. i have no scientific data.

Edited by cancerface

And I don't know many people who heard of VR, Snakepit, Slash solo, Loaded, Izzy etc. either.

Only old line up GNR, and especially November Rain is still really known. Sometimes I have to sing one of the songs first, :o

But more and more I also meet people who doesn't know GNR at all, shocking. :shocked:

So with NewGNR or CD it is even worse.

Edited by MBRose

Are you for real?

I meet thousands of them when I go see the band live. You should try it sometime.

Lol.

Actually, one of my friends I got to come to the 2010 Winnipeg show with me and my dad (Yeah, my dad listens to Guns as much as I do. Awesome!) is a fan of the older material. He recognizes CD as more of an "Axl" record, but still says its a good album. But when he saw the show live, he said the new band was probably one of the best concerts he'd ever seen. And this guy never goes on forums or anything.

I think its a general consensus. Sure, people blast the new band...until they see them live. Seems to be the trend from what I've experienced personally.

Are you for real?

I meet thousands of them when I go see the band live. You should try it sometime.

Lol.

Actually, one of my friends I got to come to the 2010 Winnipeg show with me and my dad (Yeah, my dad listens to Guns as much as I do. Awesome!) is a fan of the older material. He recognizes CD as more of an "Axl" record, but still says its a good album. But when he saw the show live, he said the new band was probably one of the best concerts he'd ever seen. And this guy never goes on forums or anything.

I think its a general consensus. Sure, people blast the new band...until they see them live. Seems to be the trend from what I've experienced personally.

On a related note, I took my girlfriend's brother with me to Sturgis. He had always hated GNR before that and always gave me shit about liking them. The first thing he said to me after the show was "I will never talk shit about Axl again, that was fucking amazing." It was almost as awesome to hear him say that as it was to see the show.

I had one of my friends praise Better once shortly after release. I have had many discussions with people who are big into rock music who ridicule the album and everything Axl has done these last 15 years. Just this last week a coworker told me how much he loved One in a Million and went on to say something about how Axl's new album doesn't even have one song worth mentioning in the same sentence as One in a Million.

Didn't even run into fans when I saw the band live. After the show people were wondering why Patience wasn't played, no one was wondering why Better was missing from the set.

Are you for real?

Lol.

See this is what i'm talking about! The band is amazing and anyone can find that out if you give them a chance.

There is probably a lot of bands out there that are also amazing that I never heard of. Hard to judge something if you have never experienced it.

True. Oddly enough, I had a hard time getting into Airbourne because I thought they sounded too much like AC/DC. After seeing them open for Motley Crue in January 2010 though I've loved them.

Kinda off topic, know a shitty band who had a damn good live show? Fall Out Boy. I know, I'm just as surprised I'm saying it. They opened for Blink 182 in 2009. I was actually impressed with their live show. I literally couldn't believe it.

About two hours ago, I went to the FYE, in the mall. I wanted to buy the Spageti Incident bc I never have. When the cashier rung it up he asked was that the last copy. He said he was wanting to pick one up bc he lost his old copy. He said he was a huge Guns fan. I replied, "you think that they will ever release the rest of thye CD material"?. He looked very surprised and excited. He didnt know there was anymore material than was released ( I guess we dont exactly know that either). Anyways, he said, "I dont understand all the hate that CD got because he really enjoyed it". He said that his fav was better and shaklers.

Its crazy as fuck that this thread popped up today bc it is the first time I've ever heard anything positive about CD outside the forums. But never-the-less certainly RAD.

100% TRUTH

Yes, Cancerface, I have.

Many people say it aint the same without Slash, (thats ur trolling point, right?) but they are still fans.

Also, SOB made me LOL earlier! Creativity fail!

Yes, Cancerface, I have.

Many people say it aint the same without Slash, (thats ur trolling point, right?) but they are still fans.

Also, SOB made me LOL earlier! Creativity fail!

my point had absolutely nothing to do with slash and absolutely everything to do with the fact you thought it did.

nice to hear these stories popping up though! keep 'em coming.

Yeah. Four in my hometown and two where I'm studying. There were lots in São Paulo when I attended the show. I met a weird guy who was devastated: he couldn't believe Robin Finck wasn't in the band anymore, I told him the "bad news", hahahaha.

Edited by marlon_brando15

have you ever met someone who's a fan of new guns n' roses outside of the forum world? like walking down the street, or at a shop or something. a random place -- like not outside of a gnr show, or not arranging to meet someone in public that you met on a forum. have you ever struck up a conversation with a random rock fan, and it turned out they knew who dj ashba, richard fortus and bbf were? have you ever met someone who actually owned chinese democracy and knew the songs on it?

i haven't, which is why i come to the forums to chat about gnr. because nobody i know or meet in the real world still follows guns n' roses as a current day band, even if they were huge fans of gnr back in the day. i'm wondering if it's maybe just where i live. are there other places that maybe seem more interested in the current state of gnr?

if you've met real life chinese democracy fans, please share your stories.

Why you little trolling shit.

5 million copies.

Certified multi-platinum.

Packed shows across the globe.

But aside from all that, see what you don't understand is: Axl doesn't give a fuck about the fortune and glory any more. Unlike tophat. UNLIKE TOP HAT. I bet you feel really good about your lame assed, see-through stealth trolling failure. They deleted your other thread, so you just made the same thread you and your clones always make. Oh it's got a new skin, but it's the same old shit. Ultimately however, you have failed, and you and your ilk are failures. You will not accomplish anything other than to cupcake. Way to go. It takes a big intellect to cupcake, doesn't it? Oh wait. Well I guess it's all you can do. Maybe one day you'll be good at it. Good jerb there homestar.

Guest siliconmessiah

5 million copies.

But aside from all that, see what you don't understand is: Axl doesn't give a fuck about the fortune and glory any more. Unlike tophat. UNLIKE TOP HAT. I bet you feel really good about your lame assed, see-through stealth trolling failure. They deleted your other thread, so you just made the same thread you and your clones always make. Oh it's got a new skin, but it's the same old shit. Ultimately however, you have failed, and you and your ilk are failures. You will not accomplish anything other than to cupcake. Way to go. It takes a big intellect to cupcake, doesn't it? Oh wait. Well I guess it's all you can do. Maybe one day you'll be good at it. Good jerb there homestar.

Hi Axl/Fernando/Beta/Bach.

have you ever struck up a conversation with a random rock fan, and it turned out they knew who dj ashba, richard fortus and bbf were?

Plenty of Bumblefoot fans in France so yeah, I have. Especially in the city where I live because he's played several times here before.

However, most of them are bigger fans of his music than they are of GnR's.

Other than that, I see people with NuGnR shirts from time to time in the streets but I don't talk to them because there is no point in doing so...

have you ever met someone who's a fan of new guns n' roses outside of the forum world? like walking down the street, or at a shop or something. a random place -- like not outside of a gnr show, or not arranging to meet someone in public that you met on a forum. have you ever struck up a conversation with a random rock fan, and it turned out they knew who dj ashba, richard fortus and bbf were? have you ever met someone who actually owned chinese democracy and knew the songs on it?

i haven't, which is why i come to the forums to chat about gnr. because nobody i know or meet in the real world still follows guns n' roses as a current day band, even if they were huge fans of gnr back in the day. i'm wondering if it's maybe just where i live. are there other places that maybe seem more interested in the current state of gnr?

5 million copies.

2978672439_99d6c2d584.jpg

5 million copies.

Well, this post screams "I need therapy"