Are people too harsh on Axl?

saber_

And also, a lot of these people are quite thick. And that ain't an insult, they just ain't fuckin bankers and economists or even well educated folk and they get chucked into like, the dirtiest fuckin business on earth, its a serious fuckin racket y'know, some people don't make it out of that shit alive. I mean there are perfectly grown adults who like, wouldn't know how to deal with that shit. And then they got all these sycophantic cunts telling them they're the best thing since sliced butter, it's bound to go to a lads head.

During the chats someone, an aspiring singer, asked Axl for advice. Axl's answer was don't sell out and learn the business, learn law and management and all that.

WHEN OH WHEN WITH THE SLASHITES LEEEEAARRRNNNN or WHY FUCKING COME HERE IF YOU'RE NOT A FAN OF AXL, UR SUCH A TROLLL!!! and honestly, it's just SOO fucking boring. Seriously, most of you lot are fuckin grown men i'm presuming, over 16 years of age, don't you feel fuckin ashamed, ain't you a bit embarassed, don't you feel a bit of a dick, don't you feel like a bit of a tart really, when it's all said and done? Getting all itchy in the scrot' over two perfect strangers and THEIR (note that word) problems, not yours, theirs. And this is from both sides here, Slash and Axl fans, just grow up man, honestly, i ain't exactly life and soul of the fuckin party but honestly if my life had gotten to the point where some of you lots seems to have reached, i'd be reaching for the fucking Wilkinsons.

Honestly, it's like watching a bunch of fuckin menstural tarts fighting over the last Kotex in Boots. Just chill out boys, relax yourself, honestly, you'll live longer, relax, love one another, have yourself a cool drink between posts, look outside your window a bit at the funny shaped clouds, y'know, smile a bit, have a laugh, we won't be here forever y'know...

I don't think the adults out of them (there are some teenagers active in this bullshit maelstrom) take this seriously. It's just their idea of humour. Except that they can't seem to get their heads around the concept of overkill and actually it wasn't funny in the first place.

I think you give em too much credit, i think they're really serious.

This ^^^^^^ If you think Volcano's only doing it for the lolz he had me fooled!

x2. No way on earth Volcano and co. are playing around. They are legit (unfortunately).

You critique others for your supposition that they take it too seriously,look in the mirror.Pot,kettle,black. :lol::lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I do not believe people are too harsh on Axl. The late starts, TOTAL lack of communication and refusal to admit fault are reasons why people are harsh on him. They are harsh because Axl is difficult, not the other way around, Axl happened first, then the fans, not the other way around. Now people will say "oh but Axl will be Axl", yeah and an egg is an egg, does that negate or take away from the fact that Axl can be a dick at times? NO.

Oh give it a rest, GNR has never operated like any other band,hope they never do. When I am in attendance at a GNR concert,I'm honestly not anal about time because I don't care when it starts,and generally am going to be up all night anyway.

And actually in several posts I have gone for sarcastic overkill because a select group of people take this way the fuck too seriously,and others are plotting to punk the threads here for their own amusement. This is a fan forum,chill out. When you are at a concert you aren't on a timeclock,kick back and have a good time.This shit gets entirely too insane :lol:

You just proved me right by saying "GnR have never operated like any other band", so does that negate the fact that Axl's lack of communication with fans is absolutely pitiful? No. Does it negate that fact that maybe people OTHER THAN YOURSELF might get a bit pissed off when Axl shows up 1-2 hours late? No.

No, I do not believe people are too harsh on Axl. The late starts, TOTAL lack of communication and refusal to admit fault are reasons why people are harsh on him. They are harsh because Axl is difficult, not the other way around, Axl happened first, then the fans, not the other way around. Now people will say "oh but Axl will be Axl", yeah and an egg is an egg, does that negate or take away from the fact that Axl can be a dick at times? NO.

Oh give it a rest, GNR has never operated like any other band,hope they never do. When I am in attendance at a GNR concert,I'm honestly not anal about time because I don't care when it starts,and generally am going to be up all night anyway.

And actually in several posts I have gone for sarcastic overkill because a select group of people take this way the fuck too seriously,and others are plotting to punk the threads here for their own amusement. This is a fan forum,chill out. When you are at a concert you aren't on a timeclock,kick back and have a good time.This shit gets entirely too insane :lol:

You just proved me right by saying "GnR have never operated like any other band", so does that negate the fact that Axl's lack of communication with fans is absolutely pitiful? No. Does it negate that fact that maybe people OTHER THAN YOURSELF might get a bit pissed off when Axl shows up 1-2 hours late? No.

Oh don't get your panties in a bunch,if it bothers you that much don't fucking go to any GNR gigs.That will show them how concerned you are :rolleyes::lol:

I'm sure you will be sorely missed. Maybe instead of seeing that evil GNR who is always late and upsets you so much,you can talk your Mommy into taking you to the Disney film that Saul is writing music for according to sleazeroxx.com :D

Edited by sailaway

Axl does recieve a lot of harshness but often I don't think it's for the right reasons. Don't bash him for putting on weight as he nears 50, don't bash him for being reluctant to talk to the press, don't bash him because he decides to wear silly clothes. All those things aren't exactly unheard of, and every one of those has been endearing at some point.

He should be bashed for consistently being late for concerts. He should be bashed for having a hand in the dismantling of one of the greatest rock groups of all time (as should slash). He should be bashed for being so petty. He should be bashed for directly calling one of his biggest fans a cunt. He should be bashed for his general disregard of his fan base. There are plenty of reasons to bash Axl Rose.

The difference between Slash and Axl and why the public prefers Slash isn't because Slash is a sell out. Sure Slash works with the Black Eyed Peas and has did a volkswagen commercial etc. etc. But there's a simple reason why Slash gets asked to do that and not Axl to begin with. Axl is a dick. Slash is a nice guy. I seriously have a hard time believing that Slash is any sort of malevolent schemer trying to make Axl's life hell. It's been well document that Axl is a short tempered person who speaks harshly.

Sorry to come off as a slashite there, but in terms of this particular question I suppose I have to say Axl deserves what he gets. Just about every miscue that has happened to him in the past 20 years has been his own fault.

I think Axl can be a douche at times and the problem is that it doesn't do the band any favors...

On the other hand, Axl also gave the best performance I've ever seen in my entire life so...as much as I'm frustrated by the band's inactivity, I can't really bitch too much because this band has done more for me than any other band ever will.

Guest Len B'stard
You critique others for your supposition that they take it too seriously,look in the mirror.Pot,kettle,black

Well there's an interesting little trapdoor to escape out of, cunt by association, thats an interesting theory, y'know what, i agree with you, i have lowered myself by participating, even if it is to voice a note a dissent, i agree but then again, you see a retard trying to cross the street, you go help, what can i say, charity is my weakness.

And also, a lot of these people are quite thick. And that ain't an insult, they just ain't fuckin bankers and economists or even well educated folk and they get chucked into like, the dirtiest fuckin business on earth, its a serious fuckin racket y'know, some people don't make it out of that shit alive. I mean there are perfectly grown adults who like, wouldn't know how to deal with that shit. And then they got all these sycophantic cunts telling them they're the best thing since sliced butter, it's bound to go to a lads head.

During the chats someone, an aspiring singer, asked Axl for advice. Axl's answer was don't sell out and learn the business, learn law and management and all that.

WHEN OH WHEN WITH THE SLASHITES LEEEEAARRRNNNN or WHY FUCKING COME HERE IF YOU'RE NOT A FAN OF AXL, UR SUCH A TROLLL!!! and honestly, it's just SOO fucking boring. Seriously, most of you lot are fuckin grown men i'm presuming, over 16 years of age, don't you feel fuckin ashamed, ain't you a bit embarassed, don't you feel a bit of a dick, don't you feel like a bit of a tart really, when it's all said and done? Getting all itchy in the scrot' over two perfect strangers and THEIR (note that word) problems, not yours, theirs. And this is from both sides here, Slash and Axl fans, just grow up man, honestly, i ain't exactly life and soul of the fuckin party but honestly if my life had gotten to the point where some of you lots seems to have reached, i'd be reaching for the fucking Wilkinsons.

Honestly, it's like watching a bunch of fuckin menstural tarts fighting over the last Kotex in Boots. Just chill out boys, relax yourself, honestly, you'll live longer, relax, love one another, have yourself a cool drink between posts, look outside your window a bit at the funny shaped clouds, y'know, smile a bit, have a laugh, we won't be here forever y'know...

I don't think the adults out of them (there are some teenagers active in this bullshit maelstrom) take this seriously. It's just their idea of humour. Except that they can't seem to get their heads around the concept of overkill and actually it wasn't funny in the first place.

I think you give em too much credit, i think they're really serious.

This ^^^^^^ If you think Volcano's only doing it for the lolz he had me fooled!

I like to think that nobody's is that big of a moron. I'm probably just deluding myself though. I've taught myself to see cupcakes and photoshops everywhere on the internet, because when you see something like this or this, if that's not trolling, then these are real people out there, and that's fucking depressing...

Oh don't get your panties in a bunch,if it bothers you that much don't fucking go to any GNR gigs.That will show them how concerned you are :rolleyes::lol:

I'm sure you will be sorely missed. Maybe instead of seeing that evil GNR who is always late and upsets you so much,you can talk your Mommy into taking you to the Disney film that Saul is writing music for according to sleazeroxx.com :D

Saul's solo stuff sucks. And notice, I did not JUST mention Axl's late starts you genius, his lack of communication sucks. Again, if you can read, does Axl doing things his way take away all fault, blame, ridicule and negative comments? You say "GnR have never operated like any other band" but that doesn't mean much, just shows you are a blind kiss ass.

I am a big Axl fan and I know he is always late, but it still sucks. The concert I went to he was almost 2 hours late, I have severve back and jointproblems, so it was very difficult and it hurt a lot, sitting on these stadiumchairs. Couldn't watch the end cause the pain was getting to me. Ofcourse I knew that in advance and I also knew I was probably not going to see the whole concert, so I accepted that. But for people like me, it is really not a nice thing.

But still enjoyed the concert a lot, but it could have been better for me, if he was just a little late, not 2 hours!!!!

Edited by MBRose

Saul's solo stuff sucks. And notice, I did not JUST mention Axl's late starts you genius, his lack of communication sucks. Again, if you can read, does Axl doing things his way take away all fault, blame, ridicule and negative comments? You say "GnR have never operated like any other band" but that doesn't mean much, just shows you are a blind kiss ass.

No,actually it shows I can roll with the punches,and enjoy the ride.

One of the factors that attracted me to GNR in late 80s,was that they didn't operate like any other band.

Regardless your whining on a fan forum because isn't effective,so I guess we aren't able to agree or be BFFs.Not throwing any insults to upset you any further.Advice,calm down and enjoy the ride!!!

One of the factors that attracted me to GNR in late 80s,was that they didn't operate like any other band.

Regardless your whining on a fan forum because isn't effective,so I guess we aren't able to agree or be BFFs.Not throwing any insults to upset you any further.Advice,calm down and enjoy the ride!!!

I have no problem with you enjoying the ride, it was you that questioned my stance on the whole thing. My "whining" surely is not effective, neither is your praise, so we are back to square one. I gave reasons for my view unlike others here. I was at the 2007 Melbourne Guns show and it was awesome, even with the late start time, but the stop-start-stop-nothing process that goes on for months and years is not cool in my opinion. That's what we are on this forum for right? To express our opinions. Read some of my previous posts, some are negative, some are positive. I cannot be 100% positive about the band when there are negatives there, sorry, I'm not that kind of fan. This goes for anything in life too, not just Guns N' Roses.

And actually in several posts I have gone for sarcastic overkill because a select group of people take this way the fuck too seriously,and others are plotting to punk the tthreads here for their own amusement. This is a fan forum,chill out. When you are at a concert you aren't on a timeclock,kick back and have a good time.This shit gets entirely too insane :lol:

I have no problem with you enjoying the ride, it was you that questioned my stance on the whole thing. My "whining" surely is not effective, neither is your praise, so we are back to square one. I gave reasons for my view unlike others here. I was at the 2007 Melbourne Guns show and it was awesome, even with the late start time, but the stop-start-stop-nothing process that goes on for months and years is not cool in my opinion. That's what we are on this forum for right? To express our opinions. Read some of my previous posts, some are negative, some are positive. I cannot be 100% positive about the band when there are negatives there, sorry, I'm not that kind of fan. This goes for anything in life too, not just Guns N' Roses.

If that is your truth,then I owe you an apology for judging you,and lumping you into the group of people that come here daily to get their bitch fix on. Thank you for taking the time to explain. You have the ability to see the shades of a situation,I tend to be reactionary and view things in terms of black and white.I appreciate straightforward honesty,and you have certainly expressed that.I don't for a minute foresee us agreeing on everything,but we can certainly debate with mutual respect. :)

And actually in several posts I have gone for sarcastic overkill because a select group of people take this way the fuck too seriously,and others are plotting to punk the tthreads here for their own amusement. This is a fan forum,chill out. When you are at a concert you aren't on a timeclock,kick back and have a good time.This shit gets entirely too insane :lol:

If that is your truth,then I owe you an apology for judging you,and lumping you into the group of people that come here daily to get their bitch fix on. Thank you for taking the time to explain. You have the ability to see the shades of a situation,I tend to be reactionary and view things in terms of black and white.I appreciate straightforward honesty,and you have certainly expressed that.I don't for a minute foresee us agreeing on everything,but we can certainly debate with mutual respect. :)

No problem :) Thanks for your well thought out reply. Wait till October-November, I'll be singing a sweeter tune about GnR!

No problem :) Thanks for your well thought out reply. Wait till October-November, I'll be singing a sweeter tune about GnR!

Good deal,have a great day! :thumbsup:

I think people are way to harsh on Axl and I think the main reason that people rag on him for keeping the GNR name is that they have preconceived and wrong notions about what GNR is now and was back in the day.

Truth is, GNR is and always has been Axl's band. People have ideas about the way bands ought to function based on the things they've read about previous bands. Eg. all equal members who participate in the songwriting process and agree on the bands direction. That is management/media bulls**t propaganda to sell young bands to teenage girls and the like. The Beatles had it when they were young - they were more prototypical of bloody boybands back then than a rock band. But in actual fact Lennon and McCartney dueled over songwriting while George Harrison was marginalised. And don't get me started on how much their manager informed their direction(s).

Similarly I remember GNR getting the fecking boyband treatment in the late 80's: "Slash is the cool one, Steven is the cute one, Izzy is the quiet one etc..." But they rejected that bull and distanced themselves from it because like every meaningful and visionary (imo) band they were their own band and were not gonna be pigeon-holed like others but were gonna be their own thing.

So ask yourselves what is and was GNR?

It was not a band recruited and manufactured by a record company, it was a band recruited and lead by Axl. That crap new band Asking Alexandria was completely dismantled and reassembled by its owner/founder before their debut record, and none of their fans or the media cry foul. If he were to do it again then nobody would question using the same name coz it is his band.

Look at other bands like the Stones. The Jagger/Richards partnership is only because they usurped original leader Brian Jones with the management's help. When Jagger did his solo stuff i believe they would've carried on as the Stones if it'd have been viable. Even Aerosmith threatened Tyler with that not too lomng ago for going AWOL.

The Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, The Lemonheads all are bands which end in an 's' to denote the plurality of their membership but as time has gone on it has become evident that they actually have just one core member.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying the great and awesome contributions of former members. The intro to SCOM is famously Slash's; but the way Axl has always run GNR is to devolve a lot of music writing to his band members - then and now. And he has been famously generous when the songwriting credits got dished out. But that being said, when they were using fractions to figure out the percentages for the UYI records, Axl was getting 40+ percent out of a six member band.

Look at some of the other stuff that Axl was 'able to' do:- (and i don't think its all positive!)

The Lyrics to "One in a Million'. If the rest of the band in an equal partnership thought it was wrong (i do!), then how did they get on the record?

The hiring of the sixth member, Dizzy Reed. If the other members didn't want it, how could it possibly have happened? Do you think McCartney could have hired a fifth Beatle?

The appearance of (the in my opinion pretty bad) 'My World' on UYI. Apparently the other band members didn't even know it existed. Could for eg. Duff have sneaked a solo track on there?

Axl firing Gilby and hiring Paul Tobias. Was there a vote?

I think all of that pre dates the 1995 contract change.

And look at almost every other hard rock band:- most of them have have gone through numerous lineup changes, by either fate or design. Seriously, wikipedia it!

And ones that decided to call it quits following the exit (or death) of a member, I honestly think that they did so because they felt it was the end of the road for that project. Do you think Led Zepplin would've disbanded if John Bonham had died ten years previously? If one or two of them had their most kick ass record up their sleeve would they have not released it as a Led Zepplin record?

May and Taylor still consider the Queen project alive even though their frontman and band namer has been dead for 20 years.

The Doors tried to keep it going after Jim Morrison's death, but obviously couldn't.

The point I'm making is that bands and band names arent always authored by all of the members, in fact they usually arent. We should think of them like projects, and sometimes people join them and sometimes people leave them.

Even that fool Liam Gallager admitted that after Noel left Oasis, that he would've used the Oasis name if he felt like it.

Anyway, it was Axls band to begin with, and if he didn't want to change the name after Tracii Guns left, than why should he change it after anyone else did, if the name represents anything more than a continuing project? The only other party who could have objected was Geffen. They could have said that thay wouldnt release under the GNR name without ________, _______, and _________. But of course they didnt.

So sod anyone who says that GNR 'aint GNR!

well written lanchops

I can add sth to the list:

GNR was Axl's band since late 80's, if not other members would fire him:

- for example, in 1989 after he said: that unless some people stop dancing with 'Mr. Brownstone,' these will be the last GN'R show...

Slash said later that he would never forgive him these words...

The list goes on and on...

I think people are way to harsh on Axl and I think the main reason that people rag on him for keeping the GNR name is that they have preconceived and wrong notions about what GNR is now and was back in the day.

Truth is, GNR is and always has been Axl's band. People have ideas about the way bands ought to function based on the things they've read about previous bands. Eg. all equal members who participate in the songwriting process and agree on the bands direction. That is management/media bulls**t propaganda to sell young bands to teenage girls and the like. The Beatles had it when they were young - they were more prototypical of bloody boybands back then than a rock band. But in actual fact Lennon and McCartney dueled over songwriting while George Harrison was marginalised. And don't get me started on how much their manager informed their direction(s).

Similarly I remember GNR getting the fecking boyband treatment in the late 80's: "Slash is the cool one, Steven is the cute one, Izzy is the quiet one etc..." But they rejected that bull and distanhced themselves from it because like every meaningful and visionary (imo) band they were their own band and were not gonna be pigeon-holed like others but were gonna be their own thing.

It was not a band recruited and manufactured by a record company, it was a band recruited and lead by Axl. That crap new band Asking Alexandria was completely dismantled and reassembled by its owner/founder before their debut record, and none of their fans or the media cry foul. If he were to do it again then nobody would question using the same name coz it is his band.

Look at other bands like the Stones. The Jagger/Richards partnership is only because they usurped original leader Brian Jones with the management's help. When Jagger did his solo stuff i believe they would've carried on as the Stones if it'd have been viable. Even Aerosmith threatened Tyler with that not too lomng ago for going AWOL.

The Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, The Lemonheads all are bands which end in an 's' to denote the plurality of their membership but as time has gone on it has become evident that they actually have just one core member.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying the great and awesome contributions of former members. The intro to SCOM is famously Slash's; but the way Axl has always run GNR is to devolve a lot of music writing to his band members - then and now. And he has been famously generous when the songwriting credits got dished out. But that being said, when they were using fractions to figure out the percentages for the UYI records, Axl was getting 40+ percent out of a six member band.

Look at some of the other stuff that Axl was 'able to' do:- (and i don't think its all positive!)

The Lyrics to "One in a Million'. If the rest of the band in an equal partnership thought it was wrong (i do!), then how did they get on the record?

The hiring of the sixth member, Dizzy Reed. If the other members didn't want it, how could it possibly have happened? Do you think McCartney could have hired a fifth Beatle?

The appearance of (the in my opinion pretty bad) 'My World' on UYI. Apparently the other band members didn't even know it existed. Could for eg. Duff have sneaked a solo track on there?

And look at almost every other hard rock band:- most of them have have gone through numerous lineup changes, by either fate or design. Seriously, wikipedia it!

And ones that decided to call it quits following the exit (or death) of a member, I honestly think that they did so because they felt it was the end of the road for that project. Do you think Led Zepplin would've disbanded if John Bonham had died ten years previously? If one or two of them had their most kick ass record up their sleeve would they have not released it as a Led Zepplin record?

May and Taylor still consider the Queen project alive even though their frontman and band namer has been dead for 20 years.

The Doors tried to keep it going after Jim Morrison's death, but obviously couldn't.

The point I'm making is that bands and band names arent always authored by all of the members, in fact they usually arent. We should think of them like projects, and sometimes people join them and sometimes people leave them.

Even that fool Liam Gallager admitted that after Noel left Oasis, that he would've used the Oasis name if he felt like it.

Anyway, it was Axls band to begin with, and if he didn't want to change the name after Tracii Guns left, than why should he change it after anyone else did, if the name represents anything more than a continuing project? The only other party who could have objected was Geffen. They could have said that thay wouldnt release under the GNR name without ________, _______, and _________. But of course they didnt.

So true,and very well written.Even that doucheweasel Muck Wall admits it was Axls band.Who was always upfront calling the shots and taking the shit? I fully expect reprocussions but this is the solid truth like it or not.

Similarly I remember GNR getting the fecking boyband treatment in the late 80's: "Slash is the cool one, Steven is the cute one, Izzy is the quiet one etc..." But they rejected that bull and distanced themselves from it because like every meaningful and visionary (imo) band they were their own band and were not gonna be pigeon-holed like others but were gonna be their own thing.

Ianchops on his/her first post comes in for the win! Well played, well played my friend.

Thanks DrDrei, sailaway, and ohmygod. I've been a long time viewer of these boards but I hadn't posted before because I wasn't sure what I could add. But thanks for the recognition, I'll try to participate more. I've enjoyed following your posts.

I love the solo projects of former members. I think Loaded's new album is great. The last rock n' roll event I was at was Slash's with Myles Kennedy a few months ago. I had a great time, was right near the rails at the front and just had a rocking great time. But nothing compares to a GNR show. They just aim so much higher in scope and performance; all of the band members put on an amazing show, and seeing Axl belt out the classics and the new songs, all the while dashing and dancing around the stage and imparting that awesome charisma to the whole arena, it just blows my mind.

How can anyone criticise GNR for playing the old songs? I would be gutted if i didn't hear Welcome to the Jungle, Mr. Brownstone, You Could be Mine etc. I love those songs so much, they and the rest of the old catalogue have been the soundtrack to my life for so long. The people that criticise them for playing a lot of AFD and UYI songs would turn around and damn them if they only played new songs. They would say' "See! That's not GNR! They don't even play November Rain!" GNR have got it spot on, playing so many classics while also playing 9 or 10 songs from CD. And when I saw them last they rocked every single one of them. They even played TWAT, and when Axl perched on the edge of the stage and smiled and sang, "... there was a tiiiime...." it got the whole arena.

GNR must know that they are gonna have to play the core classics at every show they ever do. Can you imagine how many times Axl has sung WTTJ live? I hope he isn't sick of it 'coz I want to hear it again and again! But of course, I can't wait until new material is added.

And as for GNR going on late, surely its to be expected. Those people who show up with a ziplock box of prawn and cucumber sandwiches and opera binoculars are the ones who are disappointed. They are also the ones who would ask you to sit down during Paradise City. The thing is, GNR are consistently late (usually ;)), you know they will go on an hour or three late and if it doesn't build your anticipation of what will be the best RN'R show ever, then I don't know what. As for those who complain about having to get up early to go to work the next day, I ask, why didn't you expect a late night? How can you go from the ear exploding decibels and adrenalin heart thumping of a GNR show, and then get tucked in early for a peaceful night's sleep? Those that can't stay because of their circumstances, i do feel sorry for, as a lot of shows are midweek these days, but come on! Seeing GNR isnt like going to watch the latest Pixar movie!

So yes, I think Axl and GNR get a raw deal. End of Rant. Peace!

/thread

/mygnr

/thread

/mygnr

/everypossibleargumentagainstnugnr

Best post evah.