why is it more cool to like van halen with dlr than sammy?

Apollo

Sammy Hagar sucks.

Glad someone said it. By the time VH got balls with Sammy and released Humans Being for a friggin' soundtrack, they were already done.

Van Hagar is okay if you like cheesy garbage, but that's about it. Remind me when people start bringing up anything with Hagar more than they do with 1984 or Fair Warning, or VHI or II. Won't ever happen. There's a reason for that.

Oh, and even VH's more serious songs with DLR mopped the floor with Hagar's attempt at anything. It's embarrassing how unbalanced the two eras are.

It's all a matter of opinion, I'm not gonna get into a discussion but Sammy Hagar does NOT suck. He was great with VH and he's great with Chickefoot. If you guys don't like him, fine... But I really think he's a really, really tallented vocalist and a great person.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VH with dave was so one dimensional it's not even funny, or it is at first and then the joke wears thin by the end of the 2nd album...

Cool or not, I prefer Sam's era.

lol, you don't like anything good, do you?

Fact is, people know VH were popular with Hagar, but you still ask them to name their best songs, and they revert back to something from the DLR era. That's the norm. Anyone who says Poundcake or some shit song like that, and you know they're full of hot air.

Sammy Hagar sucks.

Glad someone said it. By the time VH got balls with Sammy and released Humans Being for a friggin' soundtrack, they were already done.

Van Hagar is okay if you like cheesy garbage, but that's about it. Remind me when people start bringing up anything with Hagar more than they do with 1984 or Fair Warning, or VHI or II. Won't ever happen. There's a reason for that.

Oh, and even VH's more serious songs with DLR mopped the floor with Hagar's attempt at anything. It's embarrassing how unbalanced the two eras are.

It's all a matter of opinion, I'm not gonna get into a discussion but Sammy Hagar does NOT suck. He was great with VH and he's great with Chickefoot. If you guys don't like him, fine... But I really think he's a really, really tallented vocalist and a great person.

Fair enough. I shouldn't say Hagar sucks in general. But in VH, I can't stand him. Aside from VH, he's fine. I'm not a big fan, but I just don't think him and VH were a match that should've been made.

And yet it worked. They could've easily faded away with Sam, like Skid Row without Baz, or Maiden without Bruce, Purple without Gillan, but they kept right on selling out arenas and topping charts, whilst trying out more than just party rock. The one who was apparently worthless after the separation was Roth, he got Vai Sheehan and Bisonette for his first solo albums and did marginally well. But soon enough everybody saw what he was really all about and forgot about him. By the time Balance came out at #1 in the US, DLR could barely crack the top 100, if Dave were all he's cracked up to be, he would've kept the hits coming.

Sammy Hagar sucks.

Sammy sucks with Van Halen and Chickenfoot, he is great on the first Montrose album. That album fucking rocks.

Sammy Hagar sucks.

Sammy sucks with Van Halen and Chickenfoot, he is great on the first Montrose album. That album fucking rocks.

I see you like to let people know what you THINK. Great. -_-

VH with dave was so one dimensional it's not even funny, or it is at first and then the joke wears thin by the end of the 2nd album...

Cool or not, I prefer Sam's era.

lol, you don't like anything good, do you?

Fact is, people know VH were popular with Hagar, but you still ask them to name their best songs, and they revert back to something from the DLR era. That's the norm. Anyone who says Poundcake or some shit song like that, and you know they're full of hot air.

Sammy Hagar sucks.

Fair enough. I shouldn't say Hagar sucks in general. But in VH, I can't stand him. Aside from VH, he's fine. I'm not a big fan, but I just don't think him and VH were a match that should've been made.

To your point....when asked what are van halens best songs, your gonna get Jump and Hot For Teacher more often than anything else. Both songs are PURE cheese.

Right Now, Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love - those were solid rock and roll songs.

And like classic pointed out. Sammy's career outside of VH pretty much destroyed DLRs solo career. Not even close.

Again, I liked both versions of the band.

As to your last statement. Who should the VH boys have gotten to replace Dave? What singer would you have liked better than Hagar?

Apparently the brothers were horrible to work for, so finding a quality singer might have been difficult. Would u have wanted a name singer or an unknown?

As to your last statement. Who should the VH boys have gotten to replace Dave? What singer would you have liked better than Hagar?

Apparently the brothers were horrible to work for, so finding a quality singer might have been difficult. Would u have wanted a name singer or an unknown?

a true testament of Van Hagar's actual strength was the fact that they still released chart topping stuff at the height of Grunge. When all the 80s party bands were dying off or fading away, DLR Van Halen would've struggled in the 90s.

Chickenfoot is great fun and a really good live band. Don't get the Hagar hate. Sure, his lyrics all seem to an unhealthy amount of 'Rockin's, 'Lovin's, 'Yeah's and 'Baby's, but who gives a fuck, Chickenfoot is FUN.

Edited by st0n3r

To your point....when asked what are van halens best songs, your gonna get Jump and Hot For Teacher more often than anything else. Both songs are PURE cheese.

Right Now, Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love - those were solid rock and roll songs.

*All* those songs are pure cheese. But Roth was self-aware about it, so those songs (and that incarnation of the band) were infinitely cooler.

Guest Len B'stard

*All* those songs are pure cheese. But Roth was self-aware about it, so those songs (and that incarnation of the band) were infinitely cooler.

You like Van Halen?!?! *falls on his back and points, hooting and howling with laughter*

Agreed. Their debut and 1984 aren't bad, actually; in a drunken I-don't-care-what-you-fucking-hipsters-think-of-what-I-sing-along-to kind of way.

You like Van Halen?!?! *falls on his back and points, hooting and howling with laughter*

I adore David Lee Roth. There's nothing in VR that would've grabbed me with another frontman, but DLR was GOLD. Genuinely witty, adorably campy, all round endearing son of a bitch. Oh, and pretty much the last rock star who seemed to really enjoy the whole being a rock star bit.

C'mon, the guy is pure charm! :rofl-lol::wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq0lYB3iSM

Guest Len B'stard

I adore David Lee Roth. There's nothing in VR that would've grabbed me with another frontman, but DLR was GOLD. Genuinely witty, adorably campy, all round endearing son of a bitch. Oh, and pretty much the last rock star who seemed to really enjoy the whole being a rock star bit.

C'mon, the guy is pure charm! :rofl-lol::wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq0lYB3iSM

To be honest i only have a passing awareness of Van Halen, to my understanding they're some schlock fuckin hard-rockey type fuckin band, right? Not my kinda thing i'm afraid. The guitarist is a motherfucker though, right, so i hear, from my interest in guitars and guitar playing but i dunno shit about the band cept having heard some shit in passing which i don't remember and i tend to remember good tunes when i hear them.

Weren't one of them the guy that went around backstage at some Nirvana gig begging to play with em and was dismissive of Pat Smear?

Pat: Can I tell you my Eddie Van Halen story? I actually met him. He was backstage at the final Nirvana concert at the Forum, which for me, was like,"Oh my God, I'm playing on the SAME stage as [Queen's] Brian May!" I was dying. Anyway, Eddie Van Halen comes backstage drunk out of his fucking mind, and he started begging Kurt to let him play with us. It was so disgusting. He was like, "I'm all washed up; you are what's happening now." It was horrible! He was a horrible racist pig!

Jeff: I heard he was running Mennen Speed Stick deodorant all over his face. Is that true?

Pat: Yeah [laughs]. Kurt had this deodorant, and he sniffed it or something like that, and it got on his face. It looked like he had cocaine under his nose.

Jennifer: I heard he was asking Kurt to let him come on stage and play "Eruption," but Kurt said, "no," and Eddie said, "C'mon, let me play the Mexican's guitar," referring to you.

Pat: I told Krist [Novoselic], I thought we should let him play with us. But he said no because we'd never get him off the stage. When I walked up to Eddie, he was talking to Krist. I just saw the back of his head so I didn't know who he was. And Krist goes, "Oh Eddie, you haven't met Pat. He's our new guitar player." Eddie turns around and sees me, but he doesn't say hello or anything. He just say's, "Oh no, not a dark one." At first I thought he was kidding. But he kept asking me, "What are you? Are you like a Raji or something? Are you Mexican?" Then he kept saying to Kurt," C'mon let me play the Mexican's guitar." I was horrified!

Jeff: Is he the El Duce of Metal?

Pat: [Laughs] Eddie Van Halen is the perfect example for me of not wanting to meet your heroes 'cause you'll be disappointed. I hear he's sober now. I blame that incident totally on the alcohol. I've done a lot of bad things when I was drunk, too.

Jeff: I don't think you're coming from a judgmental place at all.

Pat: I was just shocked. I was thinking, "God, Eddie Van Halen hates me.

So yeah, in short, fuck Van Halen, Pat Smears a fuckin God, bona fide, two legendary bands for the price of one, The Germs, Nirvana, Pat Smear is godlike...and gay to boot so he couldn't get any cooler if he tried :lol: A 'raji', fuck you.

Edited by sugaraylen

To be honest i only have a passing awareness of Van Halen, to my understanding they're some schlock fuckin hard-rockey type fuckin band, right?

Sorta, except with Roth they were awesome and fun;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XLKcMoXRE

Then they fired him it all went to middle of the road blandsville;

Edited by Angelica

Guest Len B'stard

Hmmm, a load of shite, as i suspected :lol: I know the standard thing is that if you ain't heard an artists work you can't really fairly criticise them but i find my intuition on these things is usually pretty spot on, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, Kiss, all of these i presumed from the get-go were shite and when i got around to listening to em, they actually were...some of them (Poison, Crue) confounded my expectations. I'm actually quite stunned that grown up people can listen to some of this stuff, it seems very much made for children.

Then again i listen to The Ramones and they've faced the sort of cartoon-dumb accusations before, the difference i suppose is that The Ramones were anything but, it just takes a sharp intellect to see how they're not. Not that i have a sharp intellect, i just dug the music, i just kinda read about it afterwards and went "ahhh, yes, i see".

Edited by sugaraylen

Hmmm, a load of shite, as i suspected :lol: I know the standard thing is that if you ain't heard an artists work you can't really fairly criticise them but i find my intuition on these things is usually pretty spot on, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Warrant, Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, Kiss, all of these i presumed from the get-go were shite and when i got around to listening to em, they actually were...some of them (Poison, Crue) confounded my expectations. I'm actually quite stunned that grown up people can listen to some of this stuff, it seems very much made for children.

Oh, you're not wrong. It's a guilty pleasure genre for me (except Kiss managed to produce a couple of superb pop songs early in their career). It's shit, but it's fun. Like Michael Bay movies and twinkies.

Guest Len B'stard

Oh, you're not wrong. It's a guilty pleasure genre for me (except Kiss managed to produce a couple of superb pop songs early in their career). It's shit, but it's fun. Like Michael Bay movies and twinkies.

hey, i listen to Hermans Hermits and The Monkees, i don't have shit to say to anybody :lol:

Angelica, you are so right! Roth is camp and fun, he knew it and he played with that.

sugaraylen, there can be said a lot of thinks about Eddie, but he was important and influenced guitarplaying nowadays.

Guest Len B'stard

Angelica, you are so right! Roth is camp and fun, he knew it and he played with that.

sugaraylen, there can be said a lot of thinks about Eddie, but he was important and influenced guitarplaying nowadays.

Yeah i did mention that and i'm interested at least in that regard to his stuff although if it's all that shredding nonsense (and i think it is although i'm not sure) i'm kind of a little less interested. But yeah, just on the basis of him being considered this motherfucker of a guitar player i'd be interested in checking out his shit.

That shredding shit gets on my tits though, fucking tinkley Super Nintendo crap..beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend the string damn you, beeeeeeenndd, let the gee-tar cry out, instead of that fucking tingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingting, 'look-i-sat-around-for- days-learning-to-do-this-real-fast-aren't-i-cool?' crap.

Edited by sugaraylen

No doubt, to this day some of those still stand up.

I'd say DLR was good but only because he was in VH, and I've a feeling VH was always gonna make it, despite him being there.

Left to his own devices though, the man can only produce over the top cheese that nobody can stomach...

Roth is camp and fun, he knew it and he played with that.

Dave is the definition of camp but it ain't no act mate...He may play it up a bit for the press but that is who David is real life............

O god, really? :shocked:

Maybe he started to believe in his own image :rofl-lol:

By the way, I don't consider Sammy as bad, I actually like some of his stuff as well.

Oh, Sugaraylen, Eddie's work is maybe a lot of what you mentioned, but you see, he was one of the first who did that. That's why he had influence.