why is it more cool to like van halen with dlr than sammy?

Apollo

It is even a normal "coolness" line in movies now. A hipster teen rocker girl or an aging family man will comment that Van Hager sucked and DLR was the real van halen.

But reality is different.

With Sammy, VH had more hits, sold more albums and did better on tour.

DLR is a showman no doubt. But Sammy is a hundred times a better song writer and Sammy is a much better all around singer.

I'm a Vh and Roth fan - so I'm not bashing him. I have every VH album ever made. I have all the Roth solo albums. I even liked the song Damn Good Times! And yankee rose is awesome.

But if you match the two singers versions up if Van Halen....its no contest.

On two side notes. Apparently Eddie is a worse prick than Axl is. Hopefully if he is totally clean and sober now he is doing things differently.

And I actually met DLR once. It was 94 or 95ish. At a club in Seattle that held about 500 people. We were eating at the club cafe and a limo pulled up. Out pours Dave and his band, carrying cases of beer. They walked in the side door and my wife stood up and told him we flew from Alaska to see him as a birthday present to me. He said that was cool, asked if it was cold in Alaska, said to have fun at the show. He looked terrible but he was very friendly.

And it was very surreal seeing DLR playing in a bar.....while Sammy and VH were selling out arenas.

AND Dave played several VH classics.....buy I didn't hear fans in the crowd whining that it was disrespectful to Eddie and co. People just wanted to have a good time!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I just want to point out that they never sold more with Hagar. Both Van Halen 1 and 1984 sold nearly double the best selling Van Hagar album. Van Halen stopped being cool because they stopped playing rock music and went with the shitty keyboard driven 80s pop that was trendy at the time. Do you hear the people who love DLR but hate Sammy talk about how much they like Jump? I doubt that you do (I can't stand that stupid song). Jump and the Sammy albums are nothing but pop music, stuff no head banging rock fan ever wanted to hear. Eddie and co. wanted to make pop music and all they needed was a singer that would do whatever they said, so they got Sammy and made music that would be incredibly popular at the time but had no very little staying power. The Roth albums are just timeless, the Sammy ones forgotten. That is why today it is nearly unanimous that the Roth Van Halen was great and Van Hagar was laughable.

What I hate about the fanbase of every rock n' roll band out there is that they think like:

Mr.A is better than Mr.B, Nonetheless, Mr.B is SHIT.

• The fact that David Lee Roth is a better frontman for VH does make the Hagar era bad. It's still awesome in it's way.

GnR fans specially need to learn this. :tongue2:

What I hate about the fanbase of every rock n' roll band out there is that they think like:

Mr.A is better than Mr.B, Nonetheless, Mr.B is SHIT.

• The fact that David Lee Roth is a better frontman for VH does make the Hagar era bad. It's still awesome in it's way.

GnR fans specially need to learn this. :tongue2:

It's really not awesome. I like a few songs from the Hagar era, but I could do without most of it.

The main problem with the New GNR era is that they've only managed to put out one album in over a decade of existence. Van Hagar at least knew how to put out albums.

Edited by ITW 2012

First off, I just want to point out that they never sold more with Hagar. Both Van Halen 1 and 1984 sold nearly double the best selling Van Hagar album. Van Halen stopped being cool because they stopped playing rock music and went with the shitty keyboard driven 80s pop that was trendy at the time. Do you hear the people who love DLR but hate Sammy talk about how much they like Jump? I doubt that you do (I can't stand that stupid song). Jump and the Sammy albums are nothing but pop music, stuff no head banging rock fan ever wanted to hear. Eddie and co. wanted to make pop music and all they needed was a singer that would do whatever they said, so they got Sammy and made music that would be incredibly popular at the time but had no very little staying power. The Roth albums are just timeless, the Sammy ones forgotten. That is why today it is nearly unanimous that the Roth Van Halen was great and Van Hagar was laughable.

Roth was a ham, Hagar was corn and cheese. I like ham.

/thread

i agree with these guys

I dig a lot of Van Hagar stuff (For Unlawful Karnal Knowledge, 5150, etc.) But all in all you can't argue with the bluesy hard rockin badassery that Roth added to the band. I dig Hagars rocking tunes a lot like Humans Being, Best of Both Worlds, Runaround, etc. He dig get a bit cheesy for me though. When Roth was cheesy it ended up being fun while with Hagar it was just exclusively cheesy (except for Right Now, that song fucking rocks)

I dig a lot of Van Hagar stuff (For Unlawful Karnal Knowledge, 5150, etc.) But all in all you can't argue with the bluesy hard rockin badassery that Roth added to the band. I dig Hagars rocking tunes a lot like Humans Being, Best of Both Worlds, Runaround, etc. He dig get a bit cheesy for me though. When Roth was cheesy it ended up being fun while with Hagar it was just exclusively cheesy (except for Right Now, that song fucking rocks)

Kind of this!

Guest Len B'stard

I always thought liking Van Halen period set you squarely in the uncool category :shrugs: Spoken like a truly uncool person, sorry, last years opinion, i know, i know :lol:

I always thought liking Van Halen period set you squarely in the uncool category :shrugs: Spoken like a truly uncool person, sorry, last years opinion, i know, i know :lol:

Probably yes. But telling liking GNR, KISS, AC/DC, Maiden, usual gets the same reaction out of people, so I don't care anymore :shrugs:

Guest Len B'stard

Probably yes. But telling liking GNR, KISS, AC/DC, Maiden, usual gets the same reaction out of people, so I don't care anymore :shrugs:

Well it'd certainly get the same reaction out of me :lol: Except for AC/DC and GnR, who i think are fucking brilliant :)

Well it'd certainly get the same reaction out of me :lol: Except for AC/DC and GnR, who i think are fucking brilliant :)

See, that's the good thing about, I can always make people smile :D

I prefer Van Halen w/Dave. But they did a pretty good job with Sammy.

My 1st concert was Van Halen in 1984, and it was incredible. In 1986, I had front row w/Van Hagar(on Ed's side of the stage). And it was great.

But when it comes down to it, today I only listen to the Roth-songs(minus "JUMP"). Nothing against Sammy, but thats the way it is for me.

VH with dave was so one dimensional it's not even funny, or it is at first and then the joke wears thin by the end of the 2nd album...

Cool

or not, I prefer Sam's era.

We finally agree on something.

It is funny to see people call Sammy cheesy and DLR cool.....when dave was ALL about showcasing himself!

I liked DLR better when I was younger. As I get older, Im liking Hager's era better.

Can't wait to hear the new album though.

Sammy Hagar sucks.

Glad someone said it. By the time VH got balls with Sammy and released Humans Being for a friggin' soundtrack, they were already done.

Van Hagar is okay if you like cheesy garbage, but that's about it. Remind me when people start bringing up anything with Hagar more than they do with 1984 or Fair Warning, or VHI or II. Won't ever happen. There's a reason for that.

Oh, and even VH's more serious songs with DLR mopped the floor with Hagar's attempt at anything. It's embarrassing how unbalanced the two eras are.