My take on Chinese Democracy album sales

JakeTheFlake

First off, I am 23 years old and have been a diehard Axl Rose/GNR fan since I was 13 years old. Unfortunatley I was only just being born back in GNR's heyday but in ways I think it makes me more of a unique fan. I have seen the new band twice and have been waiting for Chinese Democracy for the past 10 years. When it came out it was everything I had hoped or and then some. I thought the album was phenomenal. From what I understand, to date, Chinese Democracy has went gold in America with a total of 600,000 albums sold and 3 million worldwide. I see a lot of people find this dissipointing(especially U.S. amount) but that is pretty much all I would of expected it to sell. And I will give some reasons why. First off, the majority of GNR's main followers and fanbase from back in the day are now in their mid-40's with careers and families. Some of them probably grandparents.(Yeah, thats how long its been). Most of them probably aren't fans anymore or don't care any more.(I said most, not all.) Secondly, the fact that Axl is the only original member left and it took him over 15 years to release Chinese Democracy left a bad taste in peoples mouth and tarnished the GNR name and the album pretty badly. To the point people wern't gonna give it a chance from the get go. When I got the album I gave it to my 40 year old friend(a gnr fan from back in the day) to listen to in the car. He listned to 10 seconeds of the first 3 tracks and then took it out saying it sucks. But the truth is he never even gave it a chance cuz he didn't want to. He didn't want to like it. And unfortunatley thats what a lot of people probably did. And it's a shame cuz they missed a great album. Thirdly, the majority of kids and youth today(with an exception of myself) don't get into this type of rock music anymore. Kids today don't know what good music is. And because of that the radio never caught onto it. I'm pretty sure Britney Spears was number 1 on the charts when Chinese Democracy was released and that says a lot. The fourth reason people don't buy albums much anymore anyway. They just get the music off the internet. You combine all these reasons and I think it's pretty cool the album sold over 500,000 copies in the U.S alone. People were gonna dog on it no matter what. Most of the critics seemed to like it. Some of my friends liked it, some didn't. People compared it too much to the old band which turned the album off for them. Us die-hard GNR fans know it was a great album and should just enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. In my opinion it was the most underrated underappreciated album of all time.

Thirdly, the majority of kids and youth today(with an exception of myself) don't get into this type of rock music anymore. Kids today don't know what good music is. And because of that the radio never caught onto it. I'm pretty sure Britney Spears was number 1 on the charts when Chinese Democracy was released and that says a lot.

I agree with your entire post except this part. "Good music" is subjective. For some people, Britney Spears is the person that speaks to them the way GN'R speaks for us. What makes us so superior? :P

But I liked the rest of your post. :)

I don't really understand why people expect albums to sell like 25-30 years ago. Do you see any band with any kind of album to surpass AFD? Of course it won't. It's the age of piracy and that tells it all. People don't pay for music. Heck, I only buy GNR and even so I firstly got CD without paying. I bought and received it 3 times further more as a gift. So other than die-hard fans or gift I really don't see a worthy reason to buy music.

I don't really understand why people expect albums to sell like 25-30 years ago. Do you see any band with any kind of album to surpass AFD? Of course it won't. It's the age of piracy and that tells it all. People don't pay for music. Heck, I only buy GNR and even so I firstly got CD without paying. I bought and received it 3 times further more as a gift. So other than die-hard fans or gift I really don't see a worthy reason to buy music.

I actually still mostly buy CDs 'cause I started collecting before mp3 really hit and never stopped...

Most people downloaded it. Even then, only a fraction of the people who downloaded and enjoyed it went on to buy it. It really sucks that people don't buy music anymore (but with some new cd's costing $20 a piece, I understand why) because as said, this is the age of piracy. The album wasn't marketed to the old school fans. It didn't get radio play. It doesn't have a "mainstream" sound. That said, I think it's by far the best album of the last decade, and I think it's great that it sold over half a million copies in the US.

In my opinion it was the most underrated underappreciated album of all time.

You are entitled to your opinion but if you really believe this you must not have much of a music collection..............

I believe it too... and I have a hell of a music collection :shades:

You are entitled to your opinion but if you really believe this you must not have much of a music collection..............

Not even close mate.............. :no:

Well, I think so! haha :xmasssanta:

Not even close mate.............. :no:

Well, I think so! haha :xmasssanta:

When it comes to what is "good" in music it is all opinion yes?

Exactly!

Lol. No way it sold 6 million. I barely believe it sold 5...just from that one single foreign reference. I can believe 3, 4, maybe even 5...but no chance it sold 6.

Seriously? I've been trying to not negatively respond to your posts recently. But things like this are what make me question your motives here.

Your willing to make a stand on whether it sold 5 or 6 million? Why would you accept 5 million but debate 6? The diff between 5 and 6 is not that great or monumental.

I could see debating totals of 5 or 10 million.....or 500,000 compared to a million. But 5 or 6 million?

Classic.....I have to respectfully disagree. I think this is one of the most underrated albums of all time. I'm not saying this just because Axl is my favorite singer. But imo better, Twat, catcher, this I love, prostitute, street of dreams are just as good as the best songs from the Illusions. And irs, Madagascar, rhiad, shacklers, sorry and cd are just as good as the average songs from Illusions. Scraped is the only song I really don't like at all.

Nothing will ever compare to appetite. Perfect album at the perfect time.

But to me, CD is just as strong as either Illusions. And I hate to admit it.....but I think if Axl had not kept the GnR name and had released this as the Axl Rose Project, critics and fans would have been a lot more accepting of it. WHICH is ridiculous - the music should be what matters, not the name of the band. But what can u do.

I know not everybody feels the same way that I do. But I loved the album.

If you read my post, I said I could barely believe it even sold 5. And then went on to say maybe I could see 3, 4, or 5 tops.

My point was there's one and only one source that even says it sold 5 million, and personally I don't buy into that. Give me a source that says 6.

I think you like stalk me or something bro. Every thread you follow me into just to say the same ol shit and then run off when I give you a rebuttal. I remember one time you even pmed me, and even then you ran off. Find yourself another guy to crush on. It's just getting sad now.

No chance it sold 5-6 million worldwide. Metallica's Death Magnetic sold about 5 million worldwide, and that was with full promotion, world tour, music videos, interviews, making of documentary, multiple editions and variations of the album and high ratings across the board. Plus the majority of the fans liked the record.

Classy. Now you are making gay comments as insults? Wow.

Funny. First you get mad because I don't respond to your posts.....now you are mad when I do respond? Makes perfect sense.

Lastly. Seriously. Are you this much of a clown? This is a FORUM. A place where people chat about GnR. You are seriously making homophobic insults now because I'm posting in a forum???? What the hell do you think a forum is for?

Besides, I've been a member of this forum since 2001. I was here posting before you were out of elementary school.

This forum is to discuss GnR, not make idiotic homophobic remarks about other forum members. And the reason several posters continually tell you how wrong you are, on a daily basis, in every topic, is because you keep posting the same ridiculous crap in every topic.

I haven't figured out what old member you are. But you are definetly good for a laugh.

First of all CD went platinium in US...5 Million copies sold worlwide including bestbuy deal (bestbuy bought 1.6 million copies)..more than 1 million units sold in all through europe and the album reached the platinıum award in europe.Triple platinium in canada,platinium in canada.It went platinium or gold almost every country.I think sales are major success ın today's music scene.ıt has sold as many as metalica's death magnetic album without promotion.

In this day and age : it did great.

Considering the hype, the "most anticipated album of all time" title, and the 14 years spent recording it : it was a horrible flop.

These are the only acceptable facts.

However, that shouldn't matter now : you either like it or you don't.

It will only matter when and if Axl ever asks Universal for a budget if he ever wants to record another album.

First of all CD went platinium in US...5 Million copies sold worlwide including bestbuy deal (bestbuy bought 1.6 million copies)..more than 1 million units sold in all through europe and the album reached the platinıum award in europe.Triple platinium in canada,platinium in canada.It went platinium or gold almost every country.I think sales are major success ın today's music scene.ıt has sold as many as metalica's death magnetic album without promotion.

Yeah, cause the Bestbuy deal counts as 'albums sold", give me a break. Also, there is no way Chidem sold 3 million copies(triple platinum) in Canada. According the Nielson scans(the standard for music sales in the US), it did not sell 1.6 million in the US, it sold 600,000. According to Universal, the album sold 2.6 million copies WORLDWIDE as of February 2009(link provided). Sales would only decline afterwards, so 5-6 million, hell even 4 million copies worldwide is hard to fathom.

http://www.billboard.com/specials/axl-speaks/interview.shtml

Edited by Young_Gun