Manic Street Preachers

Georgy Zhukov

my feeling is they are better in 2009-11, but subjective really.

This is the Day is up on amazon for download, seems like it will be the single on National Treasures. I doubt it's ready for dl but maybe UK radio is starting to play it.

Looking forward to it...will definitely be picking up National Treasures in the very near future.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Everything Must Go? it's prob my least favorite of theirs, same with Truth really. They make me feel bad lol I prefer Know Yor Enemy back to roots kind of thing.

I just realized I don't have Masses or Motown Junk cos not on main albums.

Seems like up until SATT, they really just regrouped in to a totally different sound after Richey. I never understood that transition.

Everything and Truth were very melancholy but they conquered the UK with those Oasis like albums. Then they brought back the anger for Know Your Enemy. Then went pop on Lifeblood, also like New Order after Joy Divison.

So I think last three are a new trilogy. SATT is like Generation Terrorist or Gold Against Soul type of album. Then Plague Lovers is another Holy Bible, Postcards brings back Everything but more optimistic.

I always wonder how a song about class struggle like Design for Life would go over in the US, or how it would be seen. Even in UK it was probably taken as a drinking anthem.

EMG carries weight if you know the history of the band, like how Kevin Carter is like Richey, or how Black Flowers is how he felt about his life in a band. No surface, All Feeling sums up the first three records.

This is my Truth is like their most depressing but probably their commercial peak.

Then they realized can do what they want to so they bring back the politics and insanity for Know Your Enemy, do a live DVD in Cuba.

Everything and Truth were very melancholy but they conquered the UK with those Oasis like albums. Then they brought back the anger for Know Your Enemy. Then went pop on Lifeblood, also like New Order after Joy Divison.

So I think last three are a new trilogy. SATT is like Generation Terrorist or Gold Against Soul type of album. Then Plague Lovers is another Holy Bible, Postcards brings back Everything but more optimistic.

I always wonder how a song about class struggle like Design for Life would go over in the US, or how it would be seen. Even in UK it was probably taken as a drinking anthem.

EMG carries weight if you know the history of the band, like how Kevin Carter is like Richey, or how Black Flowers is how he felt about his life in a band. No surface, All Feeling sums up the first three records.

This is my Truth is like their most depressing but probably their commercial peak.

Then they realized can do what they want to so they bring back the politics and insanity for Know Your Enemy, do a live DVD in Cuba.

I'll spend some time with EMG to see if it grows on me. I DO love the title track, for what it's worth.

you should like Australia and Enola/alone then?

I found it to be a grower type album.

I think Elvis Impersonator is my favorite track.

although it's kind of a filler track I always like The Girl that wanted to be God.

I like Australian women...does that count? :lol:

They have bigger boobs

I dl the greatest hits last year one track was ok. only comparison I can make both bands lyrics are a bit wordy. I just if they are going to do a double album in a more heavy metal style.

GT was always an oddity for me...

Obviously, Richey didn't know how to play. Explains why he's not on the album.

But why did James do the bass parts? Where was Nicky? Why did Sean program a drum machine as opposed to actually playing?

I dl the greatest hits last year one track was ok. only comparison I can make both bands lyrics are a bit wordy. I just if they are going to do a double album in a more heavy metal style.

GT was always an oddity for me...

Obviously, Richey didn't know how to play. Explains why he's not on the album.

But why did James do the bass parts? Where was Nicky? Why did Sean program a drum machine as opposed to actually playing?

Nicky in the beginning did not know how to play the bass. He eventually learned and got it right by Gold Against the Soul. Sean was always a technology nut, so I guess he preferred to dabble with the drum machine instead of playing the actual drum kit. I know he used it again for the title track of GAS but other than that he used an actual drum kit.

In the early shows Nicky's bass playing was pretty horrific. Richey's guitar wasn't even plugged in. One time they accidentally put James' guitar on rhythm during a live show, and Richey was on lead. So the result was this quiet guitar sound with Richey not knowing what he's doing and Nicky missing notes. They fixed it by the end of the show.

Richey's problem is that he can never remember to play the same notes so he ended up doing simple chords. He was recorded playing rhythm guitar on La Tritessa on GAS and No Surface All Feeling on EMG, which he actually played on the demo version in the background with the new recorded parts in the foreground.

I have reason to believe James played the bass in Miss Europa Disco Dancer too.