Manic Street Preachers

Georgy Zhukov

I dl the greatest hits last year one track was ok. only comparison I can make both bands lyrics are a bit wordy. I just if they are going to do a double album in a more heavy metal style.

GT was always an oddity for me...

Obviously, Richey didn't know how to play. Explains why he's not on the album.

But why did James do the bass parts? Where was Nicky? Why did Sean program a drum machine as opposed to actually playing?

Nicky in the beginning did not know how to play the bass. He eventually learned and got it right by Gold Against the Soul. Sean was always a technology nut, so I guess he preferred to dabble with the drum machine instead of playing the actual drum kit. I know he used it again for the title track of GAS but other than that he used an actual drum kit.

In the early shows Nicky's bass playing was pretty horrific. Richey's guitar wasn't even plugged in. One time they accidentally put James' guitar on rhythm during a live show, and Richey was on lead. So the result was this quiet guitar sound with Richey not knowing what he's doing and Nicky missing notes. They fixed it by the end of the show.

Richey's problem is that he can never remember to play the same notes so he ended up doing simple chords. He was recorded playing rhythm guitar on La Tritessa on GAS and No Surface All Feeling on EMG, which he actually played on the demo version in the background with the new recorded parts in the foreground.

I have reason to believe James played the bass in Miss Europa Disco Dancer too.

Interesting! I never knew that!

According to Wikipedia, live drums were overdubbed on some of the GT tracks on the US release.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was careful enough to get the U.K. release. US mixes tend to get screwed up.

There's a video of a gig were a fan yelled "Richey, you plugged in?" and he just shook his head. Richey's role in the band was lyrics and interviews. Strange considering he is the most depressing member and his Welsh accent is the most difficult to understand. But I guess it's better than Nicky talking shit.

I don't know if I've already posted this but Richey was once at a mental health center and Eric Clapton was there too. When Clapton found out there's another musician on the same floor he went up to Richey and asked if they wanted to jam. Richey freaked out of course because he couldn't play guitar.

Even though he is always cutting himself and stubbing cigarettes on his own body he hated using anti-septics because they sting, so the other band members had to hold him down to treat his cuts and burns.

I was careful enough to get the U.K. release. US mixes tend to get screwed up.

There's a video of a gig were a fan yelled "Richey, you plugged in?" and he just shook his head. Richey's role in the band was lyrics and interviews. Strange considering he is the most depressing member and his Welsh accent is the most difficult to understand. But I guess it's better than Nicky talking shit.

I don't know if I've already posted this but Richey was once at a mental health center and Eric Clapton was there too. When Clapton found out there's another musician on the same floor he went up to Richey and asked if they wanted to jam. Richey freaked out of course because he couldn't play guitar.

Even though he is always cutting himself and stubbing cigarettes on his own body he hated using anti-septics because they sting, so the other band members had to hold him down to treat his cuts and burns.

I have both versions of GT. Never really sat down and did a proper comparison.

Manics were kind of an agitpop DIY punk band when they were on Heavenly. They signed to Sony probably on the back of telling them they wanted to be huge and sell a ton of records doing power ballads and commercial metal songs. I think the glossy sound of GT is kind of what they wanted. They wanted Kylie Minogue for Little Baby Nothing but they got Tracii Lords.

I guess the strangeness is they felt like Joy Division but came on stage like Def Leppard.

listening to Truth just now, the pace is very slow it will definitely take you down. kind of like a Pink Floyd record in a way.

Gold Against the Soul rocks. I think if they made 10 albums like this I'd be happy. It's not as cheesy as GT or painful as Bible. I wish I could have seen them open for Bon jovi.

listening to Truth just now, the pace is very slow it will definitely take you down. kind of like a Pink Floyd record in a way.

Gold Against the Soul rocks. I think if they made 10 albums like this I'd be happy. It's not as cheesy as GT or painful as Bible. I wish I could have seen them open for Bon jovi.

If I had to pick, I'd say that GATS is my favorite Manics album thus far.

Manics were kind of an agitpop DIY punk band when they were on Heavenly. They signed to Sony probably on the back of telling them they wanted to be huge and sell a ton of records doing power ballads and commercial metal songs. I think the glossy sound of GT is kind of what they wanted. They wanted Kylie Minogue for Little Baby Nothing but they got Tracii Lords.

I guess the strangeness is they felt like Joy Division but came on stage like Def Leppard.

Tracii Lords was perfect for Little Baby Nothing considering the song is basically about her former lifestyle.

Richey and Nicky wanted to make a record that would sold 25 million copies then break up. I don't think GT even scratched one million so they had to go on. Plus James really wanted to go on. Richey was crazy about the follow up album to Holy Bible. James said it would have never happened. They probably would have broken up if Richey was still in the band. James was going through a rough time during the HB days, heavy drinking and smoking, depression and the lryics he sang for the promotion of the album weren't exactly upbeat. 4 sts 7lbs has to be the most difficult song the Manics ever performed. Easily the most difficult to listen to for me. Even though Nicky's songwriting tend to be melancholy it is not was disturbing as Richey's on HB.

I think Traci Lords fits the song better, James latter worked with Kylie on her record. I think it was Somekind of Bliss but sure.

I can see how another HB was just not going to work. I can almost see them doing EMG style record. but richey was still still writing crazy lyrics. I think it was the touring that did richey in, at somepoint he considered just writing lyrics. he disappeared on eve of a US tour?

GAS is kind of midway between success and oblivion.

It's funny how every review just says good but not as good as HB.

I remember from their last tour James was saying that Richey was involuntarily bursting into tears on the bus and one night he found him outside a club banging his head against a wall. I think he slashed himself across chest as well before a show.

but there were funny nights too. Richey was doing the moonwalk on the dance floor one night.

Richey in a way became the musical direction of the band even though he never wrote music, but his lyrics can only fit the type of music he writes for. Well I guess it depends on what he writes. Some of his best lyrics were on EMG though. Kevin Carter is IMO his most underrated song. Small Black Flowers that Grow in the Sky was a gorgeous song. It must have been easier for them to record EMG compared to TMTTMY considering it was the first time Nicky wrote the lyrics to every song.

Richey pretty much became just the band's lyricist since he left behind a couple album's worth of songs. Some of them ended up on EMG, all the lyrics that can be transformed into lyrics were on Journal for Plague Lovers and the rest of the stuff he wrote was impossible for Nicky and James to convert into lyrics.

It must be noted that Richey didn't exactly write lyrics. He wrote in prose. Basically essays and rants pretty much like Notes from the Underground which wasn't exactly a novel just mind processing. Nicky took this prose and edited it down to sound more like a song, and James edited them down even more, perfecting them. A lot of people complained how they didn't use more of Richey's writing for Plague Lovers but that's how they always did it.

but there were funny nights too. Richey was doing the moonwalk on the dance floor one night.

I wondering if you were referring to the night where these blokes were picking a fight with Nicky at the bar and Richey stepped in, took off his jacket (where they were surprised by the scars on his arms) and started moonwalking. They backed off after that and James didn't have to go home with bloody knuckles that night. Usually Nicky would start talking shit, Richey would further provoke it by getting cozy with them and James had to beat the crap out of everyone.

I think there must only one moonwalking incident. I can't remember if it's from the book Everything or just some random article.

It would be cool to get a look at Richys prose for the songs. I like how they presented them in minimalist style on EMG. I like how they just said what they wanted on HB but sometimes it's like they need to edit more.

What do u think about next record I'd like to see James take control of lyrics more. I know they always write about past or something. I don't know just some lyrics that aren't so political. Just write simple rock song with songs about chicks n boozing lol

Richey himself said that suicide isn't for him, but then again only Richey knows himself better than others. Nicky and James both say Richey simply disappeared and will leave it at that. They know all about the sightings on some European island or Goa but to them it means nothing. Richey didn't want to be found and they will leave it at that. It took his family years to come to terms with his disappearance, his sister campaigned hard for authorities to investigate the suicides of Severn bridge and because of that many bodies were found and identified but none of them were Richey. He just doesn't want to be found, dead or alive. I think he only took out 2,500 pounds which is more than enough to pay for 63 pound cab fair he supposedly paid to a cabbie who took him all over Blackwood to his childhood home. And his car was found filled with fast food wrappers so he apparently lived in it for awhile. The battery was flat too. He chose a strategic location to park it by the bridge so he may or may not have jumped. But as far as we know Richey just harmed himself which is different from wanting to die.

have you heard Bag Lady on Plague lovers? it's probably not that but when first heard it...

I guess some of the discordance within the band about the next record EMG, I don't know he could have felt unwanted but really these guy were his only friends. to just disappear who be mean to say the least. he could've gone crazy. He left his passport, notebooks and copy of Catcher in the rye on his bed. it seemed very considered. but jumping off bridge is not very certain way to die.

Richey himself said that suicide isn't for him, but then again only Richey knows himself better than others. Nicky and James both say Richey simply disappeared and will leave it at that. They know all about the sightings on some European island or Goa but to them it means nothing. Richey didn't want to be found and they will leave it at that. It took his family years to come to terms with his disappearance, his sister campaigned hard for authorities to investigate the suicides of Severn bridge and because of that many bodies were found and identified but none of them were Richey. He just doesn't want to be found, dead or alive. I think he only took out 2,500 pounds which is more than enough to pay for 63 pound cab fair he supposedly paid to a cabbie who took him all over Blackwood to his childhood home. And his car was found filled with fast food wrappers so he apparently lived in it for awhile. The battery was flat too. He chose a strategic location to park it by the bridge so he may or may not have jumped. But as far as we know Richey just harmed himself which is different from wanting to die.

Kind of makes you wonder and Nicky and James know "the truth."