Manic Street Preachers

Georgy Zhukov

Im from Newport which is about 20 mins from Blackwood and they have always been a sort of underground band in this area. Your typical rugby fan thinks of them as being too weird. They never got the mass adoration of the Stereophonics (which is definitely to the Manics favour) as all that Welsh boyo beer and rugby mentality makes me cringe.

What im trying to say is that although they are a Welsh band they never defined themselves by it.

Incidentally check out this of James acoustic version of bright eyes backstage at a festival. Unusual choice of song but somehow it is typical of him to choose something like this. Its beautiful.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see from Black Flowers and Kevin Carter especially that Richey realized he reached a dead end. Kevin Carter was that photog that too pics and won awards for pics of Ethiopians starving. He seen the horror and couldn't take it and killed himself. Elvis Impersonator offers some hope or maybe doesn't he didn't want to be overweight and out of date. I like The Girl that Wanted to be God, Sylvia Plath basically. I mean Richey did a Bell Jar by swimming out as far as he could. Removables shows that he basically crossed a line, cutting himself was banal. So it's all there in lyrics really. a psychologist quote about Richey was that some people like manifest their inner thoughts physically. and it's common that they also like to plan what to do then do it. Ian Curtis also wrote lyrics about what he was going to do. It's like a weird control issue. same with anorexia really.

Some of the songs on Truth I felt were about Richey so that gave something to write about like Ready for Drowning and Nobody Love You which is a great track.

Nicky is quite prolific. Mr Carbohydrate and Dead Trees and traffic Islands are cool songs.

Australia is also great one.

Interiors also seems like about Richey he was in a bit of a state but he was self aware. very knowing.

Kate and Kristen and Kit Kat

All things I like looking at

such a sharp insight into anorexic mind set.

but you could say Holy Bible is very Catcher in the Rye it's a dangerous record to get into. if you see the beauty in it, there's something very artistically pure ther but it's scary to contemplate it.

Richey made the record he really wanted in The Holy Bible. How can anyone not kill themselves after writing all those lyrics? Journal for Plague Lovers was basically a suicide note.

Do you think Plague lovers was what he intended as the next album after HB? The songs on EMG were like his last words. Actually Plague lovers always sounds like it's Richey in a mental institution. Peeled Apples is about that mental patients. from what I remember like they get broken down down like fruit. The wardens always create the illusion of doubt. Virginia State Colony I guessed was the mental hospital in One flew over Cockoos nest. not really sure about this. the whole album deserves more listens it's just a bit tough going. I like This Joke Sport Severed. I just like way it's put together with strings coming in.

I remember that song Boy in the photograph there was always huddle of rugby boys in dance floor for that. Manics seem too intelligent for that kind of thing. I do wonder how often Design for life has been mistaken for a drinking song. I think I read interview with Richey talking about the state of welsh football once and Nicky likes Cricket? Glamorgan? Cardiff is prob most alcoholic place I've ever been.

Im from Newport which is about 20 mins from Blackwood and they have always been a sort of underground band in this area. Your typical rugby fan thinks of them as being too weird. They never got the mass adoration of the Stereophonics (which is definitely to the Manics favour) as all that Welsh boyo beer and rugby mentality makes me cringe.

What im trying to say is that although they are a Welsh band they never defined themselves by it.

Incidentally check out this of James acoustic version of bright eyes backstage at a festival. Unusual choice of song but somehow it is typical of him to choose something like this. Its beautiful.

Do you think Plague lovers was what he intended as the next album after HB? The songs on EMG were like his last words. Actually Plague lovers always sounds like it's Richey in a mental institution. Peeled Apples is about that mental patients. from what I remember like they get broken down down like fruit. The wardens always create the illusion of doubt. Virginia State Colony I guessed was the mental hospital in One flew over Cockoos nest. not really sure about this. the whole album deserves more listens it's just a bit tough going. I like This Joke Sport Severed. I just like way it's put together with strings coming in.

Virginia State Epileptic Colony was actually about experiments performed on epileptic patients, forced sterlizations and stuff. Torture basically. They had a lot of fun with mental patients in the old days.

thats what happens in cockoos nest, that was pretty good guess lol the line cooking cleaning and flower arranging makes me laff, made think of all these butters having a party.

Bag Lady is like Richey making his escape. I wish that was nt hidden track it's such a ball ache to fast forward to.

is that a quote from teen wolf at beginning of Plague lovers?

I can't wait for when they return with a trip hop album.

st

Virginia State Epileptic Colony was actually about experiments performed on epileptic patients, forced sterlizations and stuff. Torture basically. They had a lot of fun with mental patients in the old days.

that makes two of you. I'd think Radiohead fans might have heard of them. I think they did a song about Richey at some point, maybe How to Disappear completely.

I really thought they have had some impact with Suicide is Painless (the theme from MASH) in US.

I see them as the Pearl Jam of UK music.

that makes two of you. I'd think Radiohead fans might have heard of them. I think they did a song about Richey at some point, maybe How to Disappear completely.

I really thought they have had some impact with Suicide is Painless (the theme from MASH) in US.

I see them as the Pearl Jam of UK music.

I tend to tread carefully with them as they just have SO MUCH material. I've already given in to the fact that I'll never hear at least 90% of their catalog since so much of it is comprised of import only releases and about a million out-of-print b-sides.

I think the 9 studio albums are prob all you need. Add Lipstick Traces b sides collection. and maybe Forever Delayed double disc had b sides I think.

I think from Truth I haven't heard the b sides. but they prob put them out. The Everything era b sides are good. especially the Sonic Stealth Orchestra remixes. there's chemical brother and prodigy remixes, David holmes.

at moment I'm just listening to Postcards and Plague Lovers. I got the demo bonus discs but really not worth it.

Forever delayed (limited Edition) has the remixes but not for the song Everything must go which sucks.

I've got the New Art Riot ep on vinyl in box somewhere. it's not very good really.

Know Your Enemy is underrated cd. Might have to listen to that again. It's just hard to get away from Plague Lovers.

Lipstck covers up to This is My Truth? but there's couple on end have heard so maybe one more record.

So that's half way, got Know your Enemy, Lifeblood, Tigers, plague lovers, Postcards.

Horses under Moonlight and Sepia I remember being good. Prologue to History was good track.

So after National treasures...I see there's a deluxe edition maybe that's the b sides?

It's true you can't really just hear one Manics album and say don't like them. There's so many sides to them.

might be their best, similar to Holy Bible but more accessible and poppy in places. I liked She Bathed herself in a A Bath of Bleach. This Joke Sport Severed. This album is like a difficult Pearl Jam album.

I listen to Postcards the Duff track is pretty good, he's doing that bass thing he does on You Could Be Mine and Right Next Door.

Listened to "Journal For Plague Lovers" today. SUCH a good album.

You should check out The Holy Bible. One of the darkest and most disturbing albums ever.

I have it...need to sit down one night and give it an honest listen. I've been trying to track down the deluxe edition to no avail.

I agree lyrically it's just a dark crazy trip. I read the Torture Garden and primo Levi books at the same time. fantasy good times!

Marlon J D on Plague lovers is that quote from Brando in Apocalypse Now?

"sometimes I loathe them sometimes I envy them"

I actually ended up buying two copies of JFPL, as I realized too late that the US version edited the quotes out of the songs due to copyright issues or something.

can you dl them? actually they are one band where I want the packaging and lyrics.

going to pre order National Treasures Deluxe Edition soon. wish I could make that O2 show. It will prob sell out before I decide.

It's sunny day so it's Postcards weather.

Nope...so little of their stuff is officially available in the US, and I still like owning the actual CD's.

Oddly, most of the b-sides from "Send Away the Tigers" are officially available in the US, at least the "Your Love Alone" and "Autumnsong" tracks are. The tracks from "Indian Summer" aren't, though.

I think that's part of the problem - their US catalogue is a total mess. It's not worth trying to figure out what is or isn't available and just going straight for the original UK releases to try to avoid as little confusion as humanly possible.