Sonny Largo

My top 3.

1) GNR

2) Nine Inch Nails

3) The Doors

the original line up defintely.

Then

Korn

Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream line up)

Nirvana

Nine Inch Nails are great. Have they really stopped ?

Someone once lent me a Smashing Pumpkins tape. They did nothing for me. Although there was just track I really liked:

Eye:

Eye - Live:

Hey Star,

Eye is a great track one of my favs!

Imo the best Pumpkins albums are siamese dream, Mellon collie and the infinite sadness and Adore.

Given you like eye you might prefer Adore it was more "synth" than their earlier stuff.

The albums are very different though could almost be different bands (indeed the line up did change for Adore).

Siamese dream was a great reock reocrd and it prolly considered their "best album".

Check out Rocket, disarm and Today

Mellon Collie is a concept album and imo you really have to listen ot it in its entireity to really appreciate it.

It swings from quasi thrash riffs to almost childlike nursery rhymes but when heard as a whole it all seems to make sense.

Try

Adore was written around the time Billy's mother died and to be honest it sounds like a record that was written by someone who just lost their mother. But it has a melancholic beauty that keeps me coming back to it time and time again. Where these songs really come alive though was when they were performed live: check out.

Not sure about NIN I hope it is not the last we hear of them, personally I doubt that it will be.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt. It's really hard for me to put into words how GNR (and mainly Axl) have affected my life. But coming in a close 2nd is U2. They have a much broader, bigger, more immense catalogue of songs, and I could easily name 30 or 40 songs of theirs that are just mind blowingly great, and this past summer, I got to see them live, which was my big life goal, after having got to see GNR, though. It was surreal and very much a spiritual experience. It was honestly like being at church. People were crying, waiving their arms in the air, it was like nothing I've ever seen. And on top of it all, Bono came and sang right to us. I've got vids if I ever get around to putting them on YouTube. And at a close 3rd, Michael Jackson. There was always something about him, his sincerity, his excitement, his groove and rhythm, his talent. Obviously his numerous hits will always be cherished by everyone, even rockers and hip hoppers know 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean'. But oddly enough, most of his BEST stuff was the stuff he came out with later in life, namely with HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor, and Invincible. Those 3 acts have forever affected me and touched my soul, and I thank them for it...

Yeah, one of my biggest regrets in life is never having got to see Michael live. I mean, he hadn't toured since I was a kid, but we go to concerts all of the time, I've seen a lot of bands and people that I hold in high regard (GNR, U2, Metallica, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Bob Seger, Kid Rock, etc.), but I never got to see him. When he first announced his London shows, I'd seriously entertained the idea of flying to London to go, but alas, it never came to fruition. One cool thing is at least I have tickets to go see the Michael Jackson Immortal Cirque de Soleil show never summer. It looks amazing...

one thing I do not get, U2!? Oh god. worse than justin bieber.

Come on, man. I totally get not liking them, but to say they're worse than Bieber? I know you're exaggerating but still. They have some fantastic songs. Go beyond just the "hits" and you'll find songs that, in my estimation, are some of the best songs of at least the last 25 years. 'Kite', 'Ultraviolet (Light My Way)', 'Moment of Surrender', 'Original of the Species', 'Gone', 'Stay', 'Bullet the Blue Sky', listen to those songs and tell me those aren't GREAT songs. And even the material they did during experimentation are quite good, like 'Mofo', 'Discotheque', 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me', 'Please', 'Zoo Station', 'Staring at the Sun'. I could go on and on and on. And seeing them live is beyond words, if you're a fan I suppose. Biggest production I've ever seen, immense. And people believe so strongly in their music. Singing 'With or Without You' and 'One' with 65,000 other people in unison is something I'll never forget...

Not at all. U2 has a lot more rocking songs than most people think. I can see how people view them as a "sappy ballad band" because a lot of their songs played on the radio are on the soft side but they are a great band if you take the time to get familiar with their material and leave your preconceptions about Bono out of it. I mean if you don't like them you don't like them, but comparing them to Justin Beiber just makes no sense lol.

Not at all. U2 has a lot more rocking songs than most people think. I can see how people view them as a "sappy ballad band" because a lot of their songs played on the radio are on the soft side but they are a great band if you take the time to get familiar with their material and leave your preconceptions about Bono out of it. I mean if you don't like them you don't like them, but comparing them to Justin Beiber just makes no sense lol.

hah, I know. I just, never understood the thing. Have to admit have never listened them too much, they have some song in some batman thing I really like etc, same thing with Rolling stones 2-3 decent songs thats all.....that Bono guy is not rockstar, but the exact opposite. Nah, I mean it all in good, I just dont get it thats all. some people hate axl rose too and I dont understand why :tongue2:

hah, I know. I just, never understood the thing. Have to admit have never listened them too much, they have some song in some batman thing I really like etc, same thing with Rolling stones 2-3 decent songs thats all.....that Bono guy is not rockstar, but the exact opposite. Nah, I mean it all in good, I just dont get it thats all. some people hate axl rose too and I dont understand why :tongue2:

Its all good man, different strokes for different folks :)

:) tomorow I will listen some U2, scared if I end up liking them.

Yeah Guns would top my No. 1 spot but others as of right now) are as follows in no particular order....It changes from titme to time my other bands but GN'R will always be No. 1

Guns N' Roses

The Devil Wears Prada

Led Zeppelin

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Jane's Addiction

:) tomorow I will listen some U2, scared if I end up liking them.

Ha well I'm not sure if they will be your cup of tea or not, but I personally really like them. I admit I initially wrote them off as a sappy band; but even though their songs may not be as hard rocking and straightforward as let's say Zeppelin or GNR they write some really interesting stuff

The thing about U2 is you have to really give everything a chance. Most of their albums sound completely different, as they go through "phases", experimenting with all different things. But listen to some of the songs I listed and you're guaranteed to find some stuff you like. BTW, the song you said you liked from Batman is "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me". Def my fave out of their rock stuff...

The thing about U2 is you have to really give everything a chance. Most of their albums sound completely different, as they go through "phases", experimenting with all different things. But listen to some of the songs I listed and you're guaranteed to find some stuff you like. BTW, the song you said you liked from Batman is "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me". Def my fave out of their rock stuff...

"Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me"

it is a really good song. sorry about the whole U2 rant lol. I just hate them, and heard like 3 songs :rofl-lol: so who am I to say

Edited by Kosonen