"Checkmate" lyrics

angelospadowski

I remember when some one first posted irs lyrics and everyone thought they were stupid

Because they are. Some of the worst lyrics Axl has ever written.

Song wise and groove wise - IRS could have been the "hit" that the album needed to bust out. It is catchy, but still has some aggression to it.

But the lyrics are just ridiculously bad.

I was working on buying the full song from a guy a couple years ago, and he played it over the phone to me..even though it was obviously garbled, the main part of the chorus said something something sacrifice..MSL and probably a few others can back me up on this..

Wow. So some "fan" out there actually has this full song? How in the world does something like that not get leaked?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when some one first posted irs lyrics and everyone thought they were stupid

Because they are. Some of the worst lyrics Axl has ever written.

Song wise and groove wise - IRS could have been the "hit" that the album needed to bust out. It is catchy, but still has some aggression to it.

But the lyrics are just ridiculously bad.

I was working on buying the full song from a guy a couple years ago, and he played it over the phone to me..even though it was obviously garbled, the main part of the chorus said something something sacrifice..MSL and probably a few others can back me up on this..

Wow. So some "fan" out there actually has this full song? How in the world does something like that not get leaked?

As far as I know, no one EVER posted IRS lyrics before the song was leaked.

What people DID do was try and decipher the garbled Eddy Trunk recording and try and make out what the words were. THOSE were hilariously bad at times.

Once the 2006 leaks happened, first the 2004 IRS and the 99 IRS, it was clear what the lyrics were.

No one ever posted lyrics claiming they were IRS, because if there were, there wouldn't have been dozens of pages of "let's figure out the IRS lyrics".

I remember MSL mentioning this a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIABzOU37m0

That video was posted November 7th, 2009. Since the first time I saw that particular video (in 2009) it has had the same description.

The description of the video is:

"Motherfuckers in game, it's Checkmate"

Guys, it's apparent to me that the lyrics pertaining to the term "checkmate" have been floating around for several years, and I would put my money on at least part of what was posted in the OP, is accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIABzOU37m0

That video was posted November 7th, 2009. Since the first time I saw that particular video (in 2009) it has had the same description.

The description of the video is:

"Motherfuckers in game, it's Checkmate"

Guys, it's apparent to me that the lyrics pertaining to the term "checkmate" have been floating around for several years, and I would put my money on at least part of what was posted in the OP, is accurate.

No offense man, but you're wrong..Checkmate was a name given to the song by the guy who was going to leak it..I promise you that the words checkmate are mentioned nowhere in the song..I know I'm just a fan and all, but I spent a month tracing the song from the source..I guess it doesn't really matter though, since I'm starting to think it won't ever see the light of day..

No offense man, but you're wrong..Checkmate was a name given to the song by the guy who was going to leak it..I promise you that the words checkmate are mentioned nowhere in the song..I know I'm just a fan and all, but I spent a month tracing the song from the source..I guess it doesn't really matter though, since I'm starting to think it won't ever see the light of day..

No offense taken my friend.

You seemingly have more knowledge than any of us on the subject as you have supposedly heard this song before and for that reason I honestly just have to take your word for it.

Concerning the statement that this song will probably never see the light of day, I would tend to agree with you.

Checkmate was what the leader called the upload. As in, I gotcha. This was like - last debated 2 years ago. Should be forum common knowledge.

As far as topics to decipher irs lyrics, well we would still have those if a booklet hadn't come with CD

No, IRS lyrics were not ever, ever, ever leaked. The song was leaked. Lyrics were deciphered. IRS lyrics were never, ever posted online.

The IRS lyrics are actually easy to make out, once we had a decent MP3 of them. They are even easier to make out because of the multitracks.

Would you like to hear what the Eddie Trunk leak sounded like, the very first Internet leak?

(BloodyRoses worked this over... remember, it was released in like 4 or 5 parts)

Turn your speakers down

Now that I know the lyrics, it's amazing we couldn't figure it out.

Such forum attempts produced things like "maybe like I just stepped in myself" or "maybe like I just stepped in my shit" for... "Feelin like I've done more than my share"

NOW - Another PERSON once posted some of the lyrics to ANOTHER song (I believe it was Sorry) on HTGTH, they ran him the hell off, and bam, guess what, years later, he was right. You'd have to go through hell and high water to find his post now.

But I saw it.

Never IRS.

Checkmate was what the leader called the upload. As in, I gotcha. This was like - last debated 2 years ago. Should be forum common knowledge.

As far as topics to decipher irs lyrics, well we would still have those if a booklet hadn't come with CD

No, IRS lyrics were not ever, ever, ever leaked. The song was leaked. Lyrics were deciphered. IRS lyrics were never, ever posted online.

The IRS lyrics are actually easy to make out, once we had a decent MP3 of them. They are even easier to make out because of the multitracks.

Would you like to hear what the Eddie Trunk leak sounded like, the very first Internet leak?

(BloodyRoses worked this over... remember, it was released in like 4 or 5 parts)

Turn your speakers down

Now that I know the lyrics, it's amazing we couldn't figure it out.

Such forum attempts produced things like "maybe like I just stepped in myself" or "maybe like I just stepped in my shit" for... "Feelin like I've done more than my share"

NOW - Another PERSON once posted some of the lyrics to ANOTHER song (I believe it was Sorry) on HTGTH, they ran him the hell off, and bam, guess what, years later, he was right. You'd have to go through hell and high water to find his post now.

But I saw it.

Never IRS.

Gotta love Mike Piazza! Lol

It's easy to forget how short term people's memory can be, especially of things happening on the Internet. "If you didn't see it, it didn't happen."

This won't be the last thread about the "song" called "Checkmate" and lyrics that contain "Checkmate".

i remember irs. you remember sorry. cool. ive been on these boards since 98. maybe you have been longer. but fuck who cares? hoarders have songs, axl has them all. im not really interested in arguing about a song that was written when i was jr. in high school. fuck, that includes irs and checkmate, or whatever in the fuck its called. i remember seeing the lyrics. may have been on gnrx.com. remember that shit? i do.

It was definitely 'Sorry'. Somebody posted the chorus lyrics in (I think it was) 2006 on HTGTH.

Edit: Just did a quick Google search. Here it is:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=42170.msg851905#msg851905

Poster: demolition

Date: « Reply #7510 on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:42 AM »

To all the haters : I'm sorry for you not sorry for me. You don't know who you can trust now or who to believe.

Remember these words when the album comes out.

I'm out of here

Edited by axlsalinger

i remember irs. you remember sorry. cool. ive been on these boards since 98. maybe you have been longer. but fuck who cares? hoarders have songs, axl has them all. im not really interested in arguing about a song that was written when i was jr. in high school. fuck, that includes irs and checkmate, or whatever in the fuck its called. i remember seeing the lyrics. may have been on gnrx.com. remember that shit? i do.

Yes - I remember GNRX. (Why did it close anyway?)

Thread about IRS lyrics and fake IRS lyrics after the first, really shitty, Internet leak:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=20355.0;wap2

It was definitely 'Sorry'. Somebody posted the chorus lyrics in (I think it was) 2006 on HTGTH.

Edit: Just did a quick Google search. Here it is:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=42170.msg851905#msg851905

Poster: demolition

Date: « Reply #7510 on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:42 AM »

To all the haters : I'm sorry for you not sorry for me. You don't know who you can trust now or who to believe.

Remember these words when the album comes out.

I'm out of here

Oh wow, there's no denying those lyrics. Sorry is one of my favourites, it just keeps getting better to me.

My god that "I.R.S" leak brings back a HUGE smile to my face. As bad as the quality was it honestly restored faith and made me hate myself for ever doubting. The first time I heard it when Buckets guitar comes in backing Axl's huge scream it was as good a feeling as I have ever had as a fan of this band. I must of listened to that rough copy 1000 times, that brought back some good memories.