A three-hour tour

GnR Chris

How many big rock acts today do near-three hour performances? I'm just curious.

I know my bro saw Tom Petty a few years back and he played for over two hours, but when I saw Petty he played for about an hour and 20 minutes, which has been standard for me.

Almost every band I've seen has played between 80 to 90 minutes. That runs the gamut from (a few off the top of my head) Bon Jovi, Poison, Death Cab, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Scorpions and many more.

People complain about the high ticket prices (and I did too), but you know what? I paid $100 to see U2 in 2005 and they only played for probably around 90 minutes. Even at the $50 I paid to see Bon Jovi, they played 90 minutes. That's around half as long as Gn'R for half the price.

I guess long story short I am really fucking pumped I'm going to see Axl and really fucking pumped I get to see a huge set. Much respect for the two and a half hour shows he's been playing. The last of a dying breed?

Edited by GnR Chris

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my bro saw Tom Petty a few years back and he played for over two hours, but when I saw Petty he played for about an hour and 20 minutes, which has been standard for me.

Almost every band I've been has played between 80 to 90 minutes. That runs the gamut from (a few off the top of my head) Bon Jovi, Poison, Death Cab, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Scorpions and many more.

People complain about the high ticket prices (and I did too), but you know what? I paid $100 to see U2 in 2005 and they only played for probably around 90 minutes. Even at the $50 I paid to see Bon Jovi, they played 90 minutes. That's around half as long as Gn'R for half the price.

I guess long story short I am really fucking pumped I'm going to see Axl and really fucking pumped I get to see a huge set. Much respect for the two and a half hour shows he's been playing. The last of a dying breed?

Only Guns plating 3 hours shows

Almost every band I've been has played between 80 to 90 minutes. That runs the gamut from (a few off the top of my head) Bon Jovi, Poison, Death Cab, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Scorpions and many more.

Rush plays 3 hours with a 15 minute intermission.

Queensryche plays over 2 hours.

Back in the 70's most bands played for over 2 hours.

These days most bands play about 90 minutes, but a band like Guns has so many amazing songs that they can do a 3 hour show.

They haven't toured the US in a long time, so 3 hours is what we US fans deserve. Obviously, Axl and Guns are having a blast and are being supported and loved by the US fans, so this is a very cool gift they are giving us.

I bet the 3 hours will fly by and Axl will leave us wanting more!

Honestly, some bands I go see, if I'm standing (because I'm starting to be an old bastard), I think the 90-minute mark is a good one. But with huge bands where I love so much of the catalog of songs, it's never enough. I'm a greedy, hungry pig.

With huge acts, there are always songs left off that you wish they would have played. But if they're pulling three hour shows, you really have little room to complain no matter what they didn't play because they squeeze so much in. And while some people think the solos and whatnot are buzzkillers, I happen to love them at rock shows if they are paced well.

From the live clips I watched, I like seeing the Pink Floyd stuff prior to November Rain and piano solos and whatnot. DJ (not a huge fan) had a killer solo at Rio.

I can't fucking wait till the Dexter theme starts to play at the Allstate in less than two weeks. I'm gonna get shitty at Shoeless Joe's pre-party and ride that fuckin' buzz all night long.

Yes, you will want more! I am looking to see if I can afford tickets to the Nashville show as I speak...lol! The ATL show was mind-blowing, I had waited for 24 years to see them. My daughters gave me tickets for my birthday and I told them this was the best present EVER!!

Bruce-springsteen.jpg

Bruce Springsteen does, 62 years old. Saw him the other year at Stockholm Stadium, absolutely amazing. Played for three hours and fifteen minutes. He also plays about 150 (!) different songs per tour. It's insane. :rofl-lol:

Edited by Demon Wolf

Most of the bands I know of that play 3 hours have already been mentioned; Rush, Queensryche, Springsteen...

I've seen other bands that come close; The Rolling Stones and Queen + Paul Rodgers were both over 2 and a half hours. I've seen Reverend Horton Heat shows that run over 2 and a half as well. When Tower Of Power do double header shows (2 shows in one night), they play 2 90 minute sets with no repeat songs, though these are ticketed separately.

Also, Joey Belladonna's side project, Chief Big Way, usually play somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. Not to mention Joey sings AND plays drums in this group! They did a show last year in the Thousand Islands region where they apparently played almost 7 and a half hours, just with one 15 minute intermission or so!

KISS seem to play for around 2 and a half hours generally, at least they did both times I saw them. AC/DC was just about two hours, maybe a little less. I think two hours is par for the course.

The only bands I can think of that consistently do three hours are Rush and Springsteen, though I'm sure there are a few more.

The ticket price for Guns for a three hour show really isn't all that bad. AC/DC is the best example I can give, where tickets were $100 before fees and you got a show that was an hour less than Guns. Still a show that was well worth the money (I saw 'em three times on the Black Ice tour), but Guns show really is bang for your buck.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND. They've been playing marathon shows since the '78 tour, so this is nothing new. Saw Bruce in 09 in Buffalo. He played 3 hours 35 minutes. My uncle saw Bruce New Years Eve in 80 or 81 and he played close the 4 hours. Springsteen definitely tops the list of great live performers. Love the guy.

Do those other acts have all the solo spots that Guns have?

Angus Young's solo spot during Let There Be Rock can usually stretch that song to 10 or 15 minutes, plus the extended version of The Jack which clocks in around 7 or 8 minutes. That's like 20 minutes of the show! :lol:

Do those other acts have all the solo spots that Guns have?

Angus Young's solo spot during Let There Be Rock can usually stretch that song to 10 or 15 minutes, plus the extended version of The Jack which clocks in around 7 or 8 minutes. That's like 20 minutes of the show! :lol:

The longest version of LTBR I've seen in person was 23 minutes! And The Jack was usually around 10 or 11 minutes on the Black Ice Tour, since it was the strip song.

I just have to voice the obvious yet not said opinion here;

3 hour rock shows just don't work.

Even though you might make yourself believe they do. the fact of the matter is that it really doesn't matter if you are pub band out on your first 10 shows or you are GNR, everything after the first 35 minutes, which in and of themselves should be great through and through, begs for an actual justification.

It requires a truely masterful showmanship and great songs to carry a show to an old albums length of 45 minutes. Very rarely have I seen shows that have been really good through and through that have lasted longer than that. 60 minutes is an absolute maximum from one troupe for me, usually. Maybe with my utmost favorites I can stomach a 90 minute thing, but that is really stretching it.

3 hours. it just screams "no!!!!" to me.

Even though you might make yourself believe they do. the fact of the matter is that it really doesn't matter if you are pub band out on your first 10 shows or you are GNR, everything after the first 35 minutes, which in and of themselves should be great through and through, begs for an actual justification.

It requires a truely masterful showmanship and great songs to carry a show to an old albums length of 45 minutes. Very rarely have I seen shows that have been really good through and through that have lasted longer than that. 60 minutes is an absolute maximum from one troupe for me, usually. Maybe with my utmost favorites I can stomach a 90 minute thing, but that is really stretching it.

This can only mean you haven't seen Paul McCartney's recent Good Evening... tour. Absolutely top notch from start to finish, without a single exception.

Springsteen does this too. Even if there's a song you don't really dig they carry it SO well that it's enjoyable anyway.

I really don't know how you can say this. To each his own, I suppose. At just 60 minutes I would feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

KISS seem to play for around 2 and a half hours generally, at least they did both times I saw them. AC/DC was just about two hours, maybe a little less. I think two hours is par for the course.

The only bands I can think of that consistently do three hours are Rush and Springsteen, though I'm sure there are a few more.

The ticket price for Guns for a three hour show really isn't all that bad. AC/DC is the best example I can give, where tickets were $100 before fees and you got a show that was an hour less than Guns. Still a show that was well worth the money (I saw 'em three times on the Black Ice tour), but Guns show really is bang for your buck.

KISS sucks though

KISS sucks though

KISS does suck...

...more women than you or I ever will.