Slash Made In Stoke 24/7/11 - Streaming / Whole Show

Nosaj Thing

Myles is hugely talented, and I like his version of Guns songs (although I'll always prefer Axl).

Sounds great.

imo Slash can't really pick singers worth a damn.

From what I know of GNR history/lore it was Steven, not Slash, who was insistent about being involved with Axl musically.

Scott Weiland, by the time VR came along, was so weak vocally that the only reason they even thought for a second he was a good choice was to try and recreate "the most dangerous band in the world image" and for his celebrity status. I do like Contraband and enjoyed the live show but you can't deny his voice was, and still is, very weak compared to when he first hit the scene.

Rod Jackson, from the 2nd Snakepit album, was generic as hell and sounded black. I'm not racist but I don't think the typical "black sounding" voice works well in hard rock, especially with Slash music. I did think that 2nd Snakepit album was some of Slash's best guitar work since UYI though.

I really liked Eric Dover on the 1st Snakepit album, but that was in 1994. He hasn't worked with a good singer since!!!!

Slash's recent solo disc quickly went in the trash. Sadly Fergie's song was the only one that was listenable. Most of the singers on that album were atrocious, and the ones that weren't atrocious had shitty material to work with from the start. Musically that album is shit as are most of the vocals on it. Christ, I don't really like Santana but that Supernatural album blows Slash's solo disc out of the water. I'm comparing the 2 because Slash was obviously trying to do a hard rock version of what Santana did with Supernatural. Buckethead has a disc called "Enter The Chicken" where he tries the same concept and its one of his best albums, and all of those singers are basically no-names with the exception of Serj from SOAD.

Myles is a joke. He was a goofball in "Rockstar", his voice is generic and grating, He shaves his armpits, He reminds me of Sebastian Bach with his stupid "power rock" stances and "clap alongs" during concerts. He's a joke and I find it appalling that Slash is taking the work they do together so seriously!! Just a few days ago on his Facebook page both Slash and Myles were going off about how great their studio sessions are going!! gag me. This guy is abysmal in every way...Slash's worst pick to date.

Besides Axl, Slash really has a shitty ear for singers he decides to work with.

It's a good thing that most people would consider your opionins shit. And you can group me with them. Since you don't care for Slash's choice in singers or most of his music I would suggest you find another outlet for your musical taste. In short don't let the door knob hit you in the ass on the way out!

well don't let the door hit you on the way out :violin:

Lol I just saw your post after I posted mine.

Slash is one of the greatest guitarists of our time. He can write amazing and memorable riffs better than anyone in rock past or present. I just don't think he has very good taste in singers. I mean he eventually kicks them all to the curb at some point so Slash would probably agree with me to some degree considering how critical he is of his own vocalists.

A lot of great guitarists have had similar experiences choosing bad singers. Look at Jeff Beck! he's probably one of the most experimental, technical, and uniquely talented guitarists to come out of the Yardbirds, but when it came down to it the bands/projects with the better singers got noticed and got popular.

Jimmy Page joined Robert Plant and Led Zeppelin is a legendary band even though Page was the sloppiest and less talented of the Yardbird guys.

Eric Clapton had a great voice himself so he sold his own package and now he's a legend.

Jeff Beck teamed up with Rod Stewart and....well we all know how that turned out. the Beck/Stewart project had much more underwhelming success because Stewart's voice wasn't that great even though Beck was CLEARLY the best guitarist of his era. Beck has in recent years come into the "Guitar God" category in his own right but this is all happening in his twilight years (late 90s-10s)--- as opposed to Clapton and Page who were considered rock gods in the 1970s nearly 25+ years later.

Luckily Slash had the partnership with Axl to propel him to a place where he can now work with mediocre singers and still sell albums.

Edited by Danker

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash don't want to conquer the world anymore, the majority of his fans, including me, are quite happy with what he's doing with him, we're getting live shows, live dvd's, cd's, tours, new songs.. the guy is enjoying it and so are we...

could he be with a better singer?... probably, would he have a great relationship with?, who knows?, would he enjoy it?, hard to tell... Myles is great, and we have to wait for the upcoming cd to really rate their "work together".. but so far it's been a blast imho..

Slash don't want to conquer the world anymore, the majority of his fans, including me, are quite happy with what he's doing with him, we're getting live shows, live dvd's, cd's, tours, new songs.. the guy is enjoying it and so are we...

could he be with a better singer?... probably, would he have a great relationship with?, who knows?, would he enjoy it?, hard to tell... Myles is great, and we have to wait for the upcoming cd to really rate their "work together".. but so far it's been a blast imho..

You're right. if the fans are having fun and Slash is having fun that's really all that matter right? Its only music.

The only burden Slash and Axl both have is their amazing body of work. Both Axl and Slash have written (together and apart) some fantastic music where the phrases "kickass rock" and "great music" just don't do it justice. What they've both created has become so mythic, cerebral, and lengendary to many fans, so I think a lot of us put them on a higher pedestal than say your Poisons and your Motley Crues etc. etc. -- I am one of those fans, so when I see Slash working with someone like Myles Kennedy I cringe. I, in the same way, am critical of who Axl chooses to play guitar with. I hold a much higher standard for him because Slash has set the bar so high.

EDIT::

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1huabr5rO7w

OH MY GOD!!! I have beef with more than just Myles...The rhythm/2nd lead guitarist is just awful. 1) he butchers the solo @ 1:47 - 1:58. Listen for yourselves!! 2) He does this "lame-pointing-to-the-beat-of-the-song" thing in the middle of the solo!!! Looks like something CC Deville would do!! Just when I thought you couldn't get any hokier than Myles along comes this rhythm player. I mean...maybe you like Myles...whatever...but that solo was just butchered there... no defense for that IMO.

Edited by Danker

I got the Made In Stoke DVD as a Christmas present and I have just finished watching it.

I enjoyed it.

Seeing Slash's energy during the first couple of songs was something else.

His guitar solo was crazy. I don't think he wanted to stop.

Todd sounded great on Dr. Alibi.

The interview with Slash's uncle was very heart-warming.

I wonder if Slash & Myles's next release (Being a heavier album) will have any effect on VR's next record (Slash has said he wants that to be heavier too.)

Made In Stoke was great.

I would recommend it to anybody.

Was the interviewer Darren Reddick from Planet Rock?

imo Slash can't really pick singers worth a damn.

From what I know of GNR history/lore it was Steven, not Slash, who was insistent about being involved with Axl musically.

Scott Weiland, by the time VR came along, was so weak vocally that the only reason they even thought for a second he was a good choice was to try and recreate "the most dangerous band in the world image" and for his celebrity status. I do like Contraband and enjoyed the live show but you can't deny his voice was, and still is, very weak compared to when he first hit the scene.

Rod Jackson, from the 2nd Snakepit album, was generic as hell and sounded black. I'm not racist but I don't think the typical "black sounding" voice works well in hard rock, especially with Slash music. I did think that 2nd Snakepit album was some of Slash's best guitar work since UYI though.

I really liked Eric Dover on the 1st Snakepit album, but that was in 1994. He hasn't worked with a good singer since!!!!

Slash's recent solo disc quickly went in the trash. Sadly Fergie's song was the only one that was listenable. Most of the singers on that album were atrocious, and the ones that weren't atrocious had shitty material to work with from the start. Musically that album is shit as are most of the vocals on it. Christ, I don't really like Santana but that Supernatural album blows Slash's solo disc out of the water. I'm comparing the 2 because Slash was obviously trying to do a hard rock version of what Santana did with Supernatural. Buckethead has a disc called "Enter The Chicken" where he tries the same concept and its one of his best albums, and all of those singers are basically no-names with the exception of Serj from SOAD.

Myles is a joke. He was a goofball in "Rockstar", his voice is generic and grating, He shaves his armpits, He reminds me of Sebastian Bach with his stupid "power rock" stances and "clap alongs" during concerts. He's a joke and I find it appalling that Slash is taking the work they do together so seriously!! Just a few days ago on his Facebook page both Slash and Myles were going off about how great their studio sessions are going!! gag me. This guy is abysmal in every way...Slash's worst pick to date.

Besides Axl, Slash really has a shitty ear for singers he decides to work with.

lol.gif

The whole album is excellent!

I've never really been a fan of the song Civil War, although this is probably the best version ever. The intro sounds really heavy.

Slash is firing on all cylinders during this gig, and both Nightrain and Rocket Queen sound just like they should. His guitar sound cannot be emulated by anyone.

Beggars and Hangers On is a classic track, i've always liked this track.

I could never listen to Velvet Revolver, as Scott Weiland's voice wasn't my cup of tea. On this album I get to hear Velvet Revolver covers including Slither that sound better with Myles Kennedy on vocals.

Credit where credit is due, Myles Kennedy's voice is consistent - he performs without ever burning out.

He is quite funny to. At the start of Patience he says 'whistle if you feel free.. i can't whistle for sh-t..' :D

Edited by vaida

I agree that Been There Lately sounds better than the original.. I have the Blue Ray but I think I might have to by the CD also.. The solo is fucking incredible.. I wasn't the biggest Myles fan at first but he found his comfort zone on these songs.. I am not trying to start an arguement but this band does the Guns songs better than the NuGuns do.. Just watch the Civil War from this back to back with the latest ones from NuGnR..

I ordered through amazon.uk

It was listed at approx. 13.99 pounds but at checkout it came up at 10.78 pounds...with shipping 13.86

I chose amazon because I've done several orders through amazon canada,usa and uk and any time there is a problem with a disc or a misssing package etc.,they are right on it and replacements are zero hassle.

REALLY glad this is region free for blu-ray...stoked to see it!

Amazon is great, I ordered a cd from them once and the music was not what was supposed to be on it. I contacted them, they told me to send back (at their expense) Anyways long story short I recieved the good version before they even got the return back :)

They stand by the stuff they sell, never had any problems from them at all.

The bluray is steller

Just placed the order with Amazon UK. Looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

'Nothing To Say' sounds great live. I never really liked this one on the album.

I wish they had performed 'I Hold On' - my favourite track from the Slash album.

That has become one of my all time favorite post GnR Slash songs... It fucking kills live too!

This album has given me a new appreciation for Speed Parade.

I agree, I always thought it was great musically but I never really cared for Rod Jackson. The studio race car overdubs were pretty lame too. I have to say that Myles and this band definately kicked all the "Ain't Life Grand" songs up a notch. Been there Lately, Mean Bone are way better too.

Edited by HowlinWolf

This album has given me a new appreciation for Speed Parade.

I agree, I always thought it was great musically but I never really cared for Rod Jackson. The studio race car overdubs were pretty lame too. I have to say that Myles and this band definately kicked all the "Ain't Life Grand" songs up a notch. Been there Lately, Mean Bone are way better too.

Yeah, Mean Bone was always cool, but it's far better with Myles singing it. Great performance.

Axl not the only one that can beat Rush in a web poll ;)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-2011-best-live-album/

The first annual Ultimate Classic Rock Awards have been announced and the big winner for Best Live Album is none other than Slash, for his ‘Made in Stoke 24/7/11‘ album.

The live disc nabbed over 29% of the vote, with Rush‘s ‘Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland’ nipping at Slash’s boot heels, grabbing over 25% of votes. These two live juggernauts nabbed over half the tally, which is impressive. Classic rockers love Slash and they love Rush.

Jimi Hendrix‘s ‘Winterland’ pulled in over 13% of the votes, while ZZ Top‘s ‘Live in Germany’ raked in nearly 12%. Rounding out the list were The Rolling Stones‘ ‘The Brussels Affair ’73′ and Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker’s ‘Kiss My Amps.’

Slash’s live platter was recorded in the guitarist’s native Stoke-on-Trent in England. The 21-song set culled material from Slash’s solo efforts, his work in Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver and his post-Guns act Slash’s Snakepit. To say that the double disc affair is a career spanning set would be an understatement. The fact that it was recorded in the region where he was born only ups the intimacy factor. Whatever the case, classic rockers loved the album.

Over 230,000 people cast their votes in the first annual Ultimate Classic Rock Awards. You can see the final results for the 2011 Book of the Year voting below, and keep clicking to find out who won the other nine categories.

oh and guitar international Lifetime Achievement Award :)

http://guitarinternational.com/2012/01/02/2011-guitar-international-awards/

Lifetime Achievement Award: Slash

Is it a bit early to be giving Slash our annual Lifetime Achievement Award at the spry age of only 46? Let’s look at what the British-American guitar hero has done since he infamously was beaten by CC Deville in an audition for glam rockers Poison:

As a member of “The Most Dangerous Band in the World,” Slash’s signature guitar riffage and stadium-sized solos propelled Guns N’ Roses’ iconic album, Appetite For Destruction, to sell the most copies for any debut album in the U.S. with over 18 million copies. His melodic opening riff to “Sweet Child o’ Mine,” the album’s chart-topping lead single, is now permanently in the public ear, landing the song on many “Best of” lists, including the top slot on a BBC poll for the Greatest Guitar Riff Ever and #6 on Q Magazine‘s 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.

After two more Billboard 200 Number One albums with G N’ R (along with a Number Two and Four), Slash left Guns N’ Roses for various reasons including musical disagreement with frontman Axl Rose to focus on his side project, Slash’s Snakepit. After releasing a platinum selling album with the group in 1995, Slash officially left G N’ R after three years of nearly no activity whatsoever.

From 1996 through 2002, it seemed like Slash’s years as a high profile lead guitarist may be over. A less successful second album with Snakepit and an opening slot for AC/DC in 2001 did seem like Slash was back, but an illness caused him to disband the group shortly thereafter.

And then BAM! Velvet Revolver exploded onto the rock music scene with Slash on lead guitar and former Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland on vocals. Unlike many of the other ’80s metal guitarists, Slash revived his career in a huge way, with Velvet Revolver’s debut album Contraband topping the charts and selling millions behind the guitar-driven lead single, “Slither.”

Since then, Slash has everywhere and played with everyone in addition to Velvet Revolver and his own successful solo career, appearing in countless TV shows and movies and playing with the Yardbirds and Rihanna, doing film score work and even being featured as a playable character in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.

A guitarist who has revived his career (twice, with his recent solo albums after Velvet Revolver’s demise), played with Michael Jackson, Alice Cooper and many more music icons, and held his commitment to rock (eschewing an industrial direction for G N’ R in favor of Slash’s Snakepit) over his entire career certainly deserves Guitar International’s Lifetime Achievement Award. And with his impeccable track record, one can only assume Slash has much more rock ‘n’ roll in the tank.

Edited by moreblack