"Who knows, maybe there will be a Chinese Democracy 2"

ITW 2012

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the logic of putting out a video over three years later. Too little, too late. :shrugs:

Who gives a shit about logic, it's Axl Rose! If he had your attitude Chinese would have been abandoned in 1998.

But there isnt a real vehicle for music videos these days other than Youtube for bands like GNR. GNR came up during the video era, and 20 years later, videos for real rock bands just arent as relavant as they once were. Stations like MTV and VH1 rarely air videos, so you have to seek them out, whether it be youtube or offical DVD releases. Theres no point in dumping millions of dollars into videos nobodies going to see, other than on mtv2 at 4 a.m. Its fucking redic.

I agree with you. It's no longer an effective avenue... which hurts to say because I grew up on GN'R videos... I suppose a youtube video could get a kind of underground counter-culture pro-new-GN'R movement going... but that's pretty much how GN'R exists these days anyways IMHO.

What Guns needs to do IMHO is somehow show (and it ain't going to be easy) that they're truly ready to "pick up where the old band left off" (to quote DJ Ashba). Hate to break out this tired old rumor/dream/etc... but to get massive attention back- IMHO Guns needs to do something MAJOR like KICK ASS at a Super Bowl Half-Time Show or at Euro 2012 (European Soccer Championships), or on Saturday Night Live, etc. and pair it up with professional promotion for either a CD re-release with new art-work and a quality bonus track (ideally a rocker for a blockbuster movie like YCBM back in the day), or a live blu-ray DVD, or...

They've had a couple of these type of opportunities in the last decade or so- and they've always seemed to foul the pitch off. They need one more crack at it and to really step into it this time... Positively, Axl's finally got a band with not only the chops- but the right image the public expects for Guns N' Roses. The time could finally be right.

Perhaps you haven't seen the videos of songs viewed by billions of people from the likes of Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Coldplay etc etc. Youtube in fact now has it's own top 100, similar to the Billboard 100 but based on views for the week. Youtube IS the MTV of now. Hell, artists probably get more revenue from the advertising per view on Youtube than they ever did back in the day. Guns would need big promotion to break through however, as they haven't been 'in' since the early 90's now unfortunately...

This is what I was trying to make a point of. If you're thinking of MTV when you hear music video, you're a dullard. Music videos are all about YouTube now. They go viral. Hear of a song? You look for it on YouTube. That's what people do now. Millions of views. Social networking potential.

I'm not saying they should go and make videos for a 4 yearold album, but I am saying that you're missing the point if you're scratching your head saying "Shucks, Cleetus, I didn't know they still had them there videos on the MTVEE."

MTV slowly abandoned playing music videos in the early 2000's after it was cheaper(and more profitable) to produce and air reality shows. Then Youtube came around and made MTV obsolete. No more waiting for your favorite music video to come up once a day. No more requesting or waiting through 10 shitty pop videos til you're favorite band's video was played. Different era. However Guns have an uphill battle as they are not new or as relevant as they once were. Metallica's music video for The day that never comes did ok, but not staggering figures(although that video sucked... really). I really can't see them doing the whole "band plays music while showing a story of Axl's journey" or anything along those lines like other bands do. I really don't know what or how they would do it... Axl would have to be in the video at least. No animation or stop-motion crap. No live cut up footage either, that's a cop out. Bach did that for Love is a Bitchslap and it went no where...

I'd love for them to close out the "era" in Vegas. Release the vault material from the CD sessions ( in any format). then get this new band recording. As a fan that's what i want but obviously the man has an idea of how this thing shakes down.

i just hope whatever drama ensues with the HOF stuff doesn't derail the plans somehow

so Axl needs 10-20 mil to make the biggest video ever. Then release it on YouTube for free.

Who said 10-20 million? Who said biggest video ever? Bands do get revenue from the advertisements that play alongside or prior to their videos, which is more than what they would have gotten on Mtv. Sure it's not much, but it's something. Some people even make a living totally of their Youtube creations and the revenue from ads.

Edited by Young_Gun

so Axl needs 10-20 mil to make the biggest video ever. Then release it on YouTube for free.

Who said 10-20 million? Who said biggest video ever? Bands do get revenue from the advertisements that play alongside or prior to their videos, which is more than what they would have gotten on Mtv. Sure it's not much, but it's something. Some people even make a living totally of their Youtube creations and the revenue from ads.

yep. and based on how many hits myspace got when the album was released that would not likely be a small number. If anything people are curious about axl and guns in almost any incarnation.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

GNR should just have a contest, let the fans make music videos, and they get to pick the best ones.

Let Axl make the fuckin’ videos.

I think Axl would have a good sense of what could be interesting and attention grabbing as far as a video goes.

"Did you see that video where..."

I don't even like Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus, but I've had friends that said "you HAVE to watch this, it's hilarious... OMG, the Friday girl!"

He's the same guy who thought of the urban legend of the drug mule baby corpse. That would have been way more talked about today than what we got...and probably parodied like "Jeremy" was on How I Met Your Mother (after being banned).

Axl's got a wit on him. You won't be seeing November Rain II.

It wouldn't get "Friday" numbers, but at least it would return as the top search whenever people searched for Guns N' Roses "Chinese Democracy" or "Better", and it's easy for people to click "share". You want your millions of FB followers doing that.

I could see 'issue' videos ... take some stock news footage of China, spliced in ala "Right Now" facts about China and civil rights issues, with performance footage (or in a studio faked performance issues). Chinese Democracy. Take your tour multimedia footage (especially with Street Of Dreams) and make it a issue video about domestic violence and sex trafficking. Turn Shackler's Revenge into something about bullying.

I just out Bono-ed Bono.

Edited by Gagarin

It will come out when Axl finally believes he can fly and believes he can touch the sky. So, like... maybe when he's 85.

I still believe in the trilogy. It will be better than the Matrix trilogy. Axl is the One. Azoff is Agent Smith.

DJ Ashba is Trinity. Beta is the Oracle.