"Who knows, maybe there will be a Chinese Democracy 2"

ITW 2012

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there isnt a real vehicle for music videos these days other than Youtube for bands like GNR. GNR came up during the video era, and 20 years later, videos for real rock bands just arent as relavant as they once were. Stations like MTV and VH1 rarely air videos, so you have to seek them out, whether it be youtube or offical DVD releases. Theres no point in dumping millions of dollars into videos nobodies going to see, other than on mtv2 at 4 a.m. Its fucking redic.

I agree with you. It's no longer an effective avenue... which hurts to say because I grew up on GN'R videos... I suppose a youtube video could get a kind of underground counter-culture pro-new-GN'R movement going... but that's pretty much how GN'R exists these days anyways IMHO.

What Guns needs to do IMHO is somehow show (and it ain't going to be easy) that they're truly ready to "pick up where the old band left off" (to quote DJ Ashba). Hate to break out this tired old rumor/dream/etc... but to get massive attention back- IMHO Guns needs to do something MAJOR like KICK ASS at a Super Bowl Half-Time Show or at Euro 2012 (European Soccer Championships), or on Saturday Night Live, etc. and pair it up with professional promotion for either a CD re-release with new art-work and a quality bonus track (ideally a rocker for a blockbuster movie like YCBM back in the day), or a live blu-ray DVD, or...

They've had a couple of these type of opportunities in the last decade or so- and they've always seemed to foul the pitch off. They need one more crack at it and to really step into it this time... Positively, Axl's finally got a band with not only the chops- but the right image the public expects for Guns N' Roses. The time could finally be right.

Perhaps you haven't seen the videos of songs viewed by billions of people from the likes of Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Coldplay etc etc. Youtube in fact now has it's own top 100, similar to the Billboard 100 but based on views for the week. Youtube IS the MTV of now. Hell, artists probably get more revenue from the advertising per view on Youtube than they ever did back in the day. Guns would need big promotion to break through however, as they haven't been 'in' since the early 90's now unfortunately...

This is what I was trying to make a point of. If you're thinking of MTV when you hear music video, you're a dullard. Music videos are all about YouTube now. They go viral. Hear of a song? You look for it on YouTube. That's what people do now. Millions of views. Social networking potential.

I'm not saying they should go and make videos for a 4 yearold album, but I am saying that you're missing the point if you're scratching your head saying "Shucks, Cleetus, I didn't know they still had them there videos on the MTVEE."

Axl watching the band playing Better.

For Sorry video it could be a fan filming the show with his phone then uploading it to YouTube.

TIL should be a Die Hard 5 tie in.

It might be fun to create a video depicting the leaking of Chinese Democracy tracks. Has anybody ever made a music video that really portrays how leaking works?

Edited by ITW 2012

that would be the video for IRS.

They could have the band and Axl dressed as FBI agents breaking down a hoarders door in Portugal.

with axl shooting a squirrel named Kevin at the en just for laughs

I have a feeling 'cd2' is just as badass as Chinese Democracy, so I really hope we'll hear more of that Bucket/Robin/Brain spastic mayhem before the new line up will show us what they can do in the studio.

I'll prefer it if the two will be separate or at least will be like it was on Chinese with only Bumble and Frank doing some additional work.

The reason I think this will be better is just cause in a way it will be more natural because of the 10 years gap or more between the eras.

It's cool that in this interview Tommy said the 'cd2' material is basically done. After all, it will make sense as many people said 30 songs or more were worked on, multiple albums etc,.

I do believe Axl is treating Chinese as an album that just got released in a way or at least on an ongoing process. Just from observing how he does things, it will come as no surprise to me if he'll want to re release it and give it more attention before moving on to releasing new material.