Vinyl-The Best Way to Listen to CD

Guest deleted_19765

Guest deleted_19765

Playing it on record again the album makes so much more sense. Like the transition from I.R.S. ending side three to Madagascar starting when you drop the needle on four. Its so much more awesome than it just being track 7 or 8 on a CD. You really are impressed with the drama of the album.

Chinese Democracy is really a double album in that 70s Rock kind of way. Terrific work from Axl and co.

too bad the pressing sucks so bad, I've only listened to my copy once because the inner groove distortion is FUCKING TERRIBLE. it's unlistenable IMO. a big :fuckyou: to whoever was responsible for that fuckup. how do I get my $35 back?

Edited by nambis

I only have a shit turntable but my copy seemed fine to me. No unwanted noise or anything, but I know a lot of people spoke of problems around the time of the release. Unfortunately I only listened to it once and probably won't again unless I get a decent turntable sometime. For the time being, it's framed. ;)

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Paul Stanley

I remember some issues with copies released in North America. I bought two copies from HMV, opened one up and sure enough there were what looked like scratches and fingerprints. I noticed that people in the UK did not seem to have this problem. HMV gave me a refund and I purchased from the UK instead. Haven't listened to the vinyl yet, but opened up my copy and the vinyl is clean.

you guys saying your vinyls sound fine must have TERRIBLE turntables or speakers, or be deaf.

the inner groove distortion is HORRIBLE on this pressing. The last 1-1.5 songs on the side of each record are "fuzzy"/distorted - I think that's the best way to describe it. For me it's especially apparent on vinyl as I'm used to having clear sounding music with a ton of depth (I have a sweet Technics hifi turntable).

I'm actually on my second copy of the vinyl, having returned the first one because I thought it was defective. But after I read all the reports on here about how widespread the problem was, I just realized we got screwed. I hope the person at the label who is responsible for this was fired.

I'm also quite amazed that it ws even possible to release such a shitty pressing. I buy ALL of my music on vinyl, and generally when paying $30+ you're getting SWEET packaging, 180 gram audiophile vinyl, etc. But this GNR release was El Crapo, just a cheap flimsy cardboard sleeve and ultra thin and super wimply record. Shit, the pressing quality is better on Time Life music colleciton records I see at the Goodwill. For the quality of this pressing, there is no way this record should have cost more than $10.

Edited by nambis

Bed Bath and Beyond? Save up a little and buy a better table! You can buy a used Rega for $200 or so (just be careful when buying used). Of course, if you don't have an amp and speakers you'll need those too.

I think I'll give my copy a spin over the next week or two. nambis, do you have the UK or US pressing? I thought the UK pressing looked decent enough. The record doesn't feel all that thin, and the cardboard sleeve is lined with an antistatic backing. Nothing remarkable, but decent. They could definitely have done more, they've done about the bare minimum one would expect.

I'm pretty sure the UK pressing is 180g. I compared it to my audiophile 180g copy of Hysteria, and it feels like the same weight and thickness. CD also has a gatefold cover, unlike Hysteria. Same type of record sleeve. Overall, due to the fact CD packaging is gatefold, I'd say it's a little nicer. If you got the cash lying around, I'd say take a chance on the UK pressing.

too bad the pressing sucks so bad, I've only listened to my copy once because the inner groove distortion is FUCKING TERRIBLE. it's unlistenable IMO. a big :fuckyou: to whoever was responsible for that fuckup. how do I get my $35 back?

This.

I wish to hell there were a way to get a proper pressing on wax without all the inner groove distortion.