Etta James covered WTTJ

tomfriend

Etta James, one of the driving forces of soul, blues and r&b is pretty much on her deathbed it seems:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&ved=0CDMQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Flatimesblogs.latimes.com%2Fgossip%2F2011%2F12%2Fetta-james-terminally-ill-etta-james-death-1.html&ctbm=nws&ei=PFLtTsDEOMWN-wbw77SKAg&usg=AFQjCNGjcGU4MceCQ9pQqNdjZTsX64pqFg

This is the woman who recorded 'At Last'. The grand dame of Chess Records. What does this have to do with Guns? Well, a few weeks ago she released what will almost certainly be her final studio album at the age of 73. On it she covered Jungle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOS5tEfDLKc

Okay, I know the style may not be to everyone's tastes but to my ear it's a damn solid take on the song and for someone who recorded songs by the likes of Willie Dixon and Louis Prima to put Axl in league with them is a huge compliment and one I hope he takes in good grace. It would be nice to see Axl give this some notice before we say goodbye to Etta, because right now it seems like she's taking her curtain call.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone should show Axl this LA Times review -

"Axl Rose is not a master of funk and blues, but after hearing James’ in-the-pocket treatment of Guns N’ Roses’ signature song, “Welcome to the Jungle,” he may be considered one of the genre’s noted songwriters."

It was produced by Etta and her family.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/11/album-review-etta-james-the-dreamer.html

idk, axl has never been the one to give "shout outs."

heck, i am not even sure she deserves it myself. etta james, in my honest opinion, is the tiger woods of r&b...."black enough" to get credibility, "white enough" to validate the attention, but maybe for the wrong reasons ya know...

*my opinion*

Edited by SunnyDRE

heck, i am not even sure she deserves it myself. etta james, in my honest opinion, is the tiger woods of r&b...."black enough" to get credibility, "white enough" to validate the attention, but maybe for the wrong reasons ya know...

*my opinion*

I can't even begin to describe how shallow and hollow this statement is.

Outside of that, Etta James is a living legend and an American treasure, and should be respected as such. I'm a fan and this post brought to my attention her health's turn-for-the-worst.

God's speed, Etta. Your work here on Earth will live on in your contributions to the music world.

Very interesting cover.

I like that it kept the overall grove of the original song but was sung with a reserved pace giving it the blue-sy feel. I also like how the lyrics were dealt with on some of the 'filthier' aspects of the song like "feel my-my-my-my- you know what I mean". It kept the song seedy as it was meant to be but perhaps making it a little more classy?

I LOVE it! XD

Edited by KiraMPD

Probably one of the best and most unique Guns covers I've ever heard. She handled it very well and managed to do something unique with it but keep it faithful to the feel of the original. Good stuff! I've never heard of her before so I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.

Much better than a certain Sheryl Crow and a certain other Guns cover...

Etta James, one of the driving forces of soul, blues and r&b is pretty much on her deathbed it seems:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&ved=0CDMQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Flatimesblogs.latimes.com%2Fgossip%2F2011%2F12%2Fetta-james-terminally-ill-etta-james-death-1.html&ctbm=nws&ei=PFLtTsDEOMWN-wbw77SKAg&usg=AFQjCNGjcGU4MceCQ9pQqNdjZTsX64pqFg

This is the woman who recorded 'At Last'. The grand dame of Chess Records. What does this have to do with Guns? Well, a few weeks ago she released what will almost certainly be her final studio album at the age of 73. On it she covered Jungle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOS5tEfDLKc

Okay, I know the style may not be to everyone's tastes but to my ear it's a damn solid take on the song and for someone who recorded songs by the likes of Willie Dixon and Louis Prima to put Axl in league with them is a huge compliment and one I hope he takes in good grace. It would be nice to see Axl give this some notice before we say goodbye to Etta, because right now it seems like she's taking her curtain call.

That is an awful cover and I'm personally offended for having listened to it. Wow. Just absolutely abysmal.

Edited by GnR Chris

*my opinion*

Axl doesn't have to give her a shout out, true.

But goddamn, you're completely ignorant about her credibility and significance. How the hell you came up with "the tiger woods of r&b", I will never ever know. Allow me to enlighten you: she was a part of the Chess records label. Maybe YOU don't know why that's significant, but musicians worth their salt do. She also had some addiction issues, so in my opinion it's cool she covered WTTJ, because guess what? She experienced it firsthand and empathized with the lyrics.

Well some people have no appreciation for anything not rock n roll. I think its fantastic.

This is the common response to anyone who doesn't like something that isn't GNR. I was told the same thing, regarding some lame dubstep rap song by Will I Am. I didn't like it and I was told "you need to not dismiss everything that isn't rock as bad music." It's funny too because I listen to a very broad variety of music, but shitty music is still shitty music.

Can't help but see a parallel between this cover and Johnny Cash covering NIN near the end of his life. "Hurt" was an instant classic and swan song closing out the life of a music legend, while also gaining NIN credibility in music circles and laying the groundwork for Reznor's eventual Oscar win. Hopefully the WTTJ cover achieves similar fortune....