Etta James covered WTTJ

tomfriend

As someone said, if this were someone other than Etta, people would probably be shitting all over it.

Psychic as well as open-minded! You like things because you like them, you know how Jungle is 'supposed to be', you're offended by hearing an interpretation of a song, and everyone who likes something you don't like must be 'pretending' for name-value. :rolleyes: You're hilarious.

Edited by tomfriend

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone said, if this were someone other than Etta, people would probably be shitting all over it.

Psychic as well as open-minded! You like things because you like them, you know how Jungle is 'supposed to be', you're offended by hearing an interpretation of a song, and everyone who likes something you don't like must be 'pretending' for name-value. :rolleyes: You're hilarious.

Like Sheryl Crow's version of "Sweet Child," for example. Bad.

Both are equally bad.

Edited by GnR Chris

And for the record, I wasn't literally offended. It's an expression to show the extent of how bad I thought it was.

Examples of some famous covers that I *really* enjoy (ie, even more than the originals):

"Hurt" Johnny Cash

"Say Hello Wave Goodbye" David Gray

"Live and Let Die" Guns N' Roses

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" Nirvana

Get over yourself. We both have different opinions. Neither are more correct.

And for the record, I wasn't literally offended.

Oh, my mistake, I wonder what could have possibly given me that idea...

That is an awful cover and I'm personally offended for having listened to it. Wow. Just absolutely abysmal.

Hmm....

When did I say otherwise? I know someone on here implied that one opinion was more correct than the other and it wasn't me. Hmm, who could it have been? Gee whiz, let's see..

And yes, I consider it an affront to the original. As someone said, if this were someone other than Etta, people would probably be shitting all over it.

Seriously dude, try to go more than two posts without contradicting yourself.

Going from basically saying "Everyone who likes it is a poser and is just pretending to like it because it's Etta James" to "no opinion is more correct" doesn't really wash.

Edited by tomfriend

tomfriend, I feel sorry for your children/wife/anyone who has to spend any time with you. I can see it now.

Them: "This steak is dry...it's almost painful to eat"

You: "But you just had another bite..."

"well yeah, I'm hungry, I'm just saying..it's bad.."

"But youre still eating it!

"Yeah it's just an expression, I really am gonna eat it, it doesn't really hurt..."

"Stop contradicting yourself! AHHHH!!!"

...seriously man, you are the epitome of that guy we all hate and want to kick in the nuts.

And for the record, I wasn't literally offended.

Oh, my mistake, I wonder what could have possibly given me that idea...

That is an awful cover and I'm personally offended for having listened to it. Wow. Just absolutely abysmal.

Hmm....

When did I say otherwise? I know someone on here implied that one opinion was more correct than the other and it wasn't me. Hmm, who could it have been? Gee whiz, let's see..

And yes, I consider it an affront to the original. As someone said, if this were someone other than Etta, people would probably be shitting all over it.

Seriously dude, try to go more than two posts without contradicting yourself.

Going from basically saying "Everyone who likes it is a poser and is just pretending to like it because it's Etta James" to "no opinion is more correct" doesn't really wash.

As I said, it's an expression. Just like people say you'd kill to get tickets for something. The expression showed the extent in which I disliked the song. I never contradicted myself about that.

And I didn't call anyone a poser. You're reading something that isn't there. I said if it was from some no-name, I doubt this many people would have been willing to accept it as amazing. The name Etta does mean something. It doesn't matter what you think. She's built that credibility. BUT, I could be wrong about it completely since I found myself so against the song. I guess I probably couldn't fathom how so many people could think it was brilliant. So perhaps I went too far in that regard and I can see how that can be construed as insulting to anyone who enjoyed it. So I apologize to anyone for that.

This is how I feel: "Really? Are we listening to the same song?" You could probably ask the same question of me and my negative opinion on it.

Because so many people here liked it I had to go give it a more thorough listen. My opinion stayed the same. The first time I could barely get through a minute of it.

Edited by GnR Chris

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Len B'stard
"Axl Rose is not a master of funk and blues, but after hearing James’ in-the-pocket treatment of Guns N’ Roses’ signature song, “Welcome to the Jungle,” he may be considered one of the genre’s noted songwriters."

It's the guitarwork thats whats funky about it..

"Axl Rose is not a master of funk and blues, but after hearing James’ in-the-pocket treatment of Guns N’ Roses’ signature song, “Welcome to the Jungle,” he may be considered one of the genre’s noted songwriters."

It's the guitarwork thats whats funky about it..

Nah,its been proven the guitarwork can be replaced :lol: