Etta James covered WTTJ

tomfriend

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well some people have no appreciation for anything not rock n roll. I think its fantastic.

That's an ignorant statement.

I think it's abysmal because it took all the energy and feeling behind the original and castrated it. That isn't what "Jungle" is supposed to be.

Can't help but see a parallel between this cover and Johnny Cash covering NIN near the end of his life. "Hurt" was an instant classic and swan song closing out the life of a music legend, while also gaining NIN credibility in music circles and laying the groundwork for Reznor's eventual Oscar win. Hopefully the WTTJ cover achieves similar fortune....

Johnny's cover was fantastic. You can't compare the two at all. She turned into "Jungle" into a feel-good finger-snapping piece of garbage.

I think it's abysmal because it took all the energy and feeling behind the original and castrated it. That isn't what "Jungle" is supposed to be.

Johnny's cover was fantastic. You can't compare the two at all. She turned into "Jungle" into a feel-good finger-snapping piece of garbage.

She's not referring to the same "Jungle" that Axl is (LA). That's where it seems you're missing it. She's singing the exact words, yet warping them into a whole new meaning of life (accompanied by a new groove as well). That's what you call an effective cover. You can dislike it all you want.

"That isn't what Jungle is supposed to be"

Well if you take such a singular, narrow minded 'my way or the highway' approach when it comes to interpretation of a lyric of course you're not going to appreciate it.

Funnily enough GNRChris, Etta James didn't have your idea of what 'Jungle should be' in mind when she decided to offer her reinterpretation. She was thinking of what she got out of the song and what she could do with it.

That is an awful cover and I'm personally offended for having listened to it. Wow. Just absolutely abysmal.

Sorry that you were 'personally offended by having listened to it', clearly you're an open-minded and even handed guy. I didn't realize you had such delicate sensibilities, but I'm very sorry that the old woman caused you offense. I'm sure if she could she'd apologize to you personally, but she's a bit tied up with dying right now. No doubt you'll be achieving bigger and better things when you're near death, and we'll all be looking forward to hearing them. Sincerely.

Edited by tomfriend

Well if you take such a singular, narrow minded 'my way or the highway' approach when it comes to interpretation of a lyric of course you're not going to appreciate it.

Exactly. She's not stripping the energy. As anyone should know, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. The rock "Jungle" energy is transferred to the new "Jungle." It's just not the same energy.

Well some people have no appreciation for anything not rock n roll. I think its fantastic.

Wow. LOL - So if someone doesn't like this song they have no appreciation for music that isn't "rock n roll", as you put it? You can't be serious. I hope for your own sake that you aren't. That's like saying that if you like this song you have no appreciation for blues. I just think the music is trite, boring, and I find the vocal phrasing annoying. I understand that its Etta James and that she's considered a legend to some, so that should make some people feel good about running and telling their Mothers that she covered Jungle or whatever, but I just find it weak. Just a personal opinion about this track, nothing more. If Bonnie Raitt had produced the same track I think more people would agree. - :)

Funnily enough GNRChris, Etta James didn't have your idea of what 'Jungle should be' in mind when she decided to offer her reinterpretation. She was thinking of what she got out of the song and what she could do with it.

That is an awful cover and I'm personally offended for having listened to it. Wow. Just absolutely abysmal.

Sorry that you were 'personally offended by having listened to it', clearly you're an open-minded and even handed guy. I didn't realize you had such delicate sensibilities, but I'm very sorry that the old woman caused you offense. I'm sure if she could she'd apologize to you personally, but she's a bit tied up with dying right now. No doubt you'll be achieving bigger and better things when you're near death, and we'll all be looking forward to hearing them. Sincerely.

Post of the Month.

That's the thing with covers.

I think she'd do a cool Brownstone or Michelle, or Rocket Queen.

Jungle - just not accessible for me here. Pretty brave of her to try.

Edit:

Hey, how about someone take this track, and put the "Mad About You" intro credits over it...

Edited by Gagarin

Etta James, one of the driving forces of soul, blues and r&b is pretty much on her deathbed it seems:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&ved=0CDMQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Flatimesblogs.latimes.com%2Fgossip%2F2011%2F12%2Fetta-james-terminally-ill-etta-james-death-1.html&ctbm=nws&ei=PFLtTsDEOMWN-wbw77SKAg&usg=AFQjCNGjcGU4MceCQ9pQqNdjZTsX64pqFg

This is the woman who recorded 'At Last'. The grand dame of Chess Records. What does this have to do with Guns? Well, a few weeks ago she released what will almost certainly be her final studio album at the age of 73. On it she covered Jungle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOS5tEfDLKc

Okay, I know the style may not be to everyone's tastes but to my ear it's a damn solid take on the song and for someone who recorded songs by the likes of Willie Dixon and Louis Prima to put Axl in league with them is a huge compliment and one I hope he takes in good grace. It would be nice to see Axl give this some notice before we say goodbye to Etta, because right now it seems like she's taking her curtain call.

And you're a fucking moron and I'm personally offended for having read your post. And I don't give a shit what you think about that. You have absolutely zero taste for music in general, apparently. All I can picture in you is either Beavis or Butthead on the other end of the keyboard, with probably the same amount of intelligence.

And to reiterate, I don't give a shit what you think about that or me for that matter.

Wow, what a shit-for-brains.

Etta James, one of the driving forces of soul, blues and r&b is pretty much on her deathbed it seems:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=2&ved=0CDMQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Flatimesblogs.latimes.com%2Fgossip%2F2011%2F12%2Fetta-james-terminally-ill-etta-james-death-1.html&ctbm=nws&ei=PFLtTsDEOMWN-wbw77SKAg&usg=AFQjCNGjcGU4MceCQ9pQqNdjZTsX64pqFg

This is the woman who recorded 'At Last'. The grand dame of Chess Records. What does this have to do with Guns? Well, a few weeks ago she released what will almost certainly be her final studio album at the age of 73. On it she covered Jungle:

Okay, I know the style may not be to everyone's tastes but to my ear it's a damn solid take on the song and for someone who recorded songs by the likes of Willie Dixon and Louis Prima to put Axl in league with them is a huge compliment and one I hope he takes in good grace. It would be nice to see Axl give this some notice before we say goodbye to Etta, because right now it seems like she's taking her curtain call.

And you're a fucking moron and I'm personally offended for having read your post. And I don't give a shit what you think about that. You have absolutely zero taste for music in general, apparently. All I can picture in you is either Beavis or Butthead on the other end of the keyboard, with probably the same amount of intelligence.

And to reiterate, I don't give a shit what you think about that or me for that matter.

MATTHEW.....don't make me call your mother and tell her you're on the computer this late at night.

Edited by DrBrownstone

MATTHEW.....don't make me call your mother and tell her you're on the computer this late at night. I didn't think they let children sign up on this site?

lets not spoil this thread

Why are you insulting me? I've insulted no one here.

I find this cover extremely boring. And yes, I consider it an affront to the original. As someone said, if this were someone other than Etta, people would probably be shitting all over it.

That's the thing about music. Everybody has an opinion. Considering we're both on a Guns N' Roses forum, saying I have zero taste in music is saying Guns N' Roses is awful. Do you think Gn'R is awful?

Wow. LOL - So if someone doesn't like this song they have no appreciation for music that isn't "rock n roll", as you put it? You can't be serious. I hope for your own sake that you aren't. That's like saying that if you like this song you have no appreciation for blues. I just think the music is trite, boring, and I find the vocal phrasing annoying. I understand that its Etta James and that she's considered a legend to some, so that should make some people feel good about running and telling their Mothers that she covered Jungle or whatever, but I just find it weak. Just a personal opinion about this track, nothing more. If Bonnie Raitt had produced the same track I think more people would agree. - :)

I was taking my true feelings pertaining to how I felt, exaggerating them, and posting it. The emoticons don't work from my phone for whatever reason, so I don't bother posting them. But yes, I do think it's fantastic. However, I don't really think that not liking it means you're a close minded dingus. Off topic - just bought Amy Winehouse's hidden treasures album, and her cover of "will you still love me tomorrow" is very moving. Idc if people think I'm "gay" for thinking that.

I was taking my true feelings pertaining to how I felt, exaggerating them, and posting it. The emoticons don't work from my phone for whatever reason, so I don't bother posting them. But yes, I do think it's fantastic. However, I don't really think that not liking it means you're a close minded dingus. Off topic - just bought Amy Winehouse's hidden treasures album, and her cover of "will you still love me tomorrow" is very moving. Idc if people think I'm "gay" for thinking that.

No judgement here,Queen,Elton,Priest fan. It's whatever music touches your soul,fuck what everyone may think.

No judgement here,Queen,Elton,Priest fan. It's whatever music touches your soul,fuck what everyone may think.

Whenever I make my list of current top 5's, it's always Guns at #1, and Priest is either 2 or 3. Always

Whenever I make my list of current top 5's, it's always Guns at #1, and Priest is either 2 or 3. Always

Good Deal man,don't ever let people dictate what you fucking like! :thumbsup: