Was Axl ever on heroin?

Young_Gun

We all know Guns had battled substance abuse in the early days, some(Adler) more than others. Axl has said in interviews that he never abstained from drugs but wouldn't allow it to become a habit and has mentioned marijuana and cocaine as drugs he has indulged in but what about heroin? Given that Duff, Slash, Izzy and Adler were big fans of it(to varying extents), did Axl ever give it a try? I can't imagine him being a full heroin junkie or even shooting up with a needle. That stuff is powerfully addictive, I don't think he did it recreationally. It's either all or nothing. What do you guys think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Marc Canter he stopped taking "whatever it was that he was taking" in 1986 after they got their record deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWMC-GSkfoU <<< around 07:13 mark.

We know he overdosed on something that put him in a (was it 2 week?) coma and thus, the song. That was most probably Valium though...

I also heard somewhere that he let someone shoot up Erin with heroin and it nearly killed her but I don't have a timeline/year for this.

...that's all the facts/rumors I can remember atm. Will try and look for more sources later? Heroin is incredibly addictive so I'll be majorly impressed if Axl managed to do it "recreationaly".

I also heard somewhere that he let someone shoot up Erin with heroin and it nearly killed her but I don't have a timeline/year for this.

Axl accused Steven of injecting Erin with heroin while he wasn't there to calm her down cause she was "hysterical" (don't remember why), or something along those lines.

Axl accused Steven of injecting Erin with heroin while he wasn't there to calm her down cause she was "hysterical" (don't remember why), or something along those lines.

Was this during Steven's case against Axl (guns)? Will look into it later.

Guest Len B'stard

You gotta rate his resolve, to stay clean or to stay doing it recreationally when surrounded by a bunch of wrong uns like Slash/Duff/Izzy/Steven :lol:

I am against use of drugs and will urge celebrities to refrain from such activities as it creates a bad image on teenagers.I hope the authorities will ban use of such drugs through a legislation.

Yeah, because individuals(celebrities or otherwise) are going to listen to an anonymous person on a forum preaching that it creates a bad image. Right....

Proof that Axl was using coke.

What the hell was going on there? Terrible! Glad Axl and the rest of the band lived long enough to quit their habits and are still around to enjoy what they've done.

Even though Steven has had some lapses back, he just keeps trying to get clean. I really hope he succeeds one day and stays clean.

It sucks to waste away as the drugs eat away at your body. I had a cousin who was so fucked up even when he was on methadone, which isn't any better, he was still fucked. He lost all his teeth and was so thin and then lost his mind thinking he was killing in a war and he never was in any war. Just sad because he was so smart and stubborn,yet he let the drugs rule his life.

What the hell was going on there? Terrible! Glad Axl and the rest of the band lived long enough to quit their habits and are still around to enjoy what they've done.

Even though Steven has had some lapses back, he just keeps trying to get clean. I really hope he succeeds one day and stays clean.

It sucks to waste away as the drugs eat away at your body. I had a cousin who was so fucked up even when he was on methadone, which isn't any better, he was still fucked. He lost all his teeth and was so thin and then lost his mind thinking he was killing in a war and he never was in any war. Just sad because he was so smart and stubborn,yet he let the drugs rule his life.

What? I agree about the drugs but that video shows how much Axl rocks

K, first of all, that video in no way correlates to drug use. Axl is just being Axl. He may have dabbled with coke and other things, but who cares? He said in an interview once that he'd never ever allow himself to have a drug habit.

And I'd also like to add that your experience with methadone is not the norm, and while I'm sorry that your cousin was so fucked up, that's definitely not because of the methadone. He most likely has other psychological issues that caused those problems. I've known people who have been on methadone for years, and have lead completely normal lives, a few that are much more successful than me, and probably you.

I'm just saying, don't be like these "war against drug" ad campaigns and just add to the stigma of opiates. We don't need people adding fuel to that fire, based only on their very limited knowledge.

Edited by DrBrownstone

This is Axl's comment on heroin referred to earlier:

Del James: Are you, as many people believe, a heavy drug user?

Axl Rose: I have a different physical constitution and different mindset about drugs than anybody I've known in Hollywood, because I don't abstain from doing drugs, but I won't allow myself to have a fuckin' habit. I won't allow it. I'll have done blow for three days and my mind will go "Fuck no". I'll have the physical feeling of knowing my body needs it, and I'll just refuse to do coke that day. I'm not going to do it, because if I was going to do it, I know I won't be able to hit my goals with what I want to do with this band. I can't let myself get into coke as much as I'm into the band. The same thing with heroin. I did it for three weeks straight and had one of the greatest times in my life, because I was with a girl I wanted to be with in this beautiful apartment, and we just sat there listening to Led Zeppelin, doing drugs and fucking. It was great, 'cause at that time I had nothing to do but sit on my ass and make a few phone calls a day. I stopped on, like, Saturday, because I had serious business to attend to on Monday. I felt like shit, sweated, shook, but on Monday I was able to function. I can't hide in drugs. A lot of people can, but whenever I do any drugs - pills, booze, smack, whatever - to enjoy it, my life has to be perfect - no fuck-ups, nothing going wrong. Otherwise, when I'm high, I'll analyse the shit out of everything that's happening in my life and why things are going wrong. That's not enjoyable. And if I have shows to do, I won't touch drugs because it fucks up my throat. My advice is don't get a habit, don't use anybody else's needle and don't let drugs become a prerequisite to having a good time. Do things in moderation , and just be careful.

(RIP Magazine, April 1989)

Edited by axlsalinger

This is Axl's comment on heroin referred to earlier:

Del James: Are you, as many people believe, a heavy drug user?

Axl Rose: I have a different physical constitution and different mindset about drugs than anybody I've known in Hollywood, because I don't abstain from doing drugs, but I won't allow myself to have a fuckin' habit. I won't allow it. I'll have done blow for three days and my mind will go "Fuck no". I'll have the physical feeling of knowing my body needs it, and I'll just refuse to do coke that day. I'm not going to do it, because if I was going to do it, I know I won't be able to hit my goals with what I want to do with this band. I can't let myself get into coke as much as I'm into the band. The same thing with heroin. I did it for three weeks straight and had one of the greatest times in my life, because I was with a girl I wanted to be with in this beautiful apartment, and we just sat there listening to Led Zeppelin, doing drugs and fucking. It was great, 'cause at that time I had nothing to do but sit on my ass and make a few phone calls a day. I stopped on, like, Saturday, because I had serious business to attend to on Monday. I felt like shit, sweated, shook, but on Monday I was able to function. I can't hide in drugs. A lot of people can, but whenever I do any drugs - pills, booze, smack, whatever - to enjoy it, my life has to be perfect - no fuck-ups, nothing going wrong. Otherwise, when I'm high, I'll analyse the shit out of everything that's happening in my life and why things are going wrong. That's not enjoyable. And if I have shows to do, I won't touch drugs because it fucks up my throat. My advice is don't get a habit, don't use anybody else's needle and don't let drugs become a prerequisite to having a good time. Do things in moderation , and just be careful.

(RIP Magazine, April 1989)

Wonderful answer, classic Axl. Loved it.

Thanks, its been a long time since I've read that whole quote from that interview. I was trying to find it just now for this thread but you beat me to it ;P

Guess that answers the question then.

Isn't it kinda funny to see Axl giving what could broadly be considered as good advice after all the shit you read about him daily? Makes me remember the CBGB '87 interview where he says something along the lines of "only get a tattoo after you've thought about it a lot". It always seemed like he was trying to make a conscientious effort to come across as somewhat sensible in interviews back then...