Who will be THE lead guitarist on CDII?

ashysdad

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I also think Axl's role in this area is betlittled. I believe he coaxes the riffs out of the players/& encourages them into a specific vibe perhaps with a template vibe he's put together himself. Sort of like "Here's the scent, find the donut".

Sure hope so, cause I just listened to Lies of the beautiful people and for the first time ever I thought to myself "where's Slash"? Me and DJ really, really, really don't have the same taste in music :( Really dig him live though.

DJ was not the only person who wrote songs for Sixx A.M., in fact he said during an interview that kind of musc was new for him.

Edited by BirdCatcher

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Fortus didn't really do much on Chinese Democracy. His role was really no different than Paul's.

I didn't suggest Fortus did anything for CD. But I believe CD II does feature his efforts.

How can one downplay the role of Huge? He's the bones of several huge tracks.

Wasn't downplaying Paul, he played rythmn on most of the tracks. Just when Paul and Rich are listed on the same tracks, you can't tell whos who. Ron and Buckethead are easier to tell on rythmn because Ron plays fretless and often heard in the right channel and his riffs didn't appear on the demos, and Bucket did them wacky kill switch riffs. Rich was only on like four or five tracks though.

Ill never get why some of you are too worried about the lead when the most important part of the song is the rhythm. Who cares if Ron can play a superb solo if the song is fkn Motley Crue material? Slash's SCOM solo arguably wouldnt be famous if he had played it on a Poison song. The riff wouldnt be legendary if the song he played it on was Girls, Girls, Girls. Id rather focus on the rhythm guitars.

Ill never get why some of you are too worried about the lead when the most important part of the song is the rhythm. Who cares if Ron can play a superb solo if the song is fkn Motley Crue material? Slash's SCOM solo arguably wouldnt be famous if he had played it on a Poison song. The riff wouldnt be legendary if the song he played it on was Girls, Girls, Girls. Id rather focus on the rhythm guitars.

The rythmn is what makes most of the song. Guitar solos are like a small percentage of the song. There is more to TWAT than Bucketheads solo. That whole song is the best thing theyve done

The rythmn is what makes most of the song. Guitar solos are like a small percentage of the song. There is more to TWAT than Bucketheads solo. That whole song is the best thing theyve done

TWAT's the best thing any band has ever done, IMO. EVER.

Sure the whole of There Was A Time is incredible, worthy successor to Estranged but apparently The General has that mantle. The solo is definitely a highlight though, the demo without it is pretty good but the solo brings it up another level, as solos tend to do.

Sure the whole of There Was A Time is incredible, worthy successor to Estranged but apparently The General has that mantle. The solo is definitely a highlight though, the demo without it is pretty good but the solo brings it up another level, as solos tend to do.

That comes offs like you've heard the General.

I think during the recording of Chinese Democracy, Robin, Bucket and to an extent Ron, did solos for most of the songs and used the best ones for the final product. It did not matter who is more skilled it who wrote the solo that best fits the song. I use to think Buckethead was just going to shred but I was surprised of his bluesy solo for IFW and Sorry even I know he can pull it off after hearing his solos. I wouldn't be surprised if Bucket wrote a soulful technically superior solo for TIL but Robin's fit the song better.

It is going to be evenly divided for CD. I do not like how DJ refers to Ron as the Shred Master which can imply that is all he can do. It will be all up to Axl and he makes it fair for everyone to get their parts in.

Edited by BirdCatcher

I think during the recording of Chinese Democracy, Robin, Bucket and to an extent Ron, did solos for most of the songs and used the best ones for the final product. It did not matter who is more skilled it who wrote the solo that best fits the song. I use to think Buckethead was just going to shred but I was surprised of his bluesy solo for IFW and Sorry even I know he can pull it off after hearing his solos. I wouldn't be surprised if Bucket wrote a soulful technically superior solo for TIL but Robin's fit the song better.

I don't know how that happened, but I can tell ya that Ron himself said that he didn't touch most of those solos because they were there for so long that the shouldn't touch them or the song would feel 'out of place'. Not the case on Riad and Catcher (It was a mix of some Brian May takes put together), though, and probably not the case on Shackler's and Scraped - we didn't hear the old solos before so they were new to us anyway.

I do not like how DJ refers to Ron as the Shred Master which can imply that is all he can do.

Did he say that? If so, I guess he said that Ron's great at it, not that he can't play like him or Robin.

It will be all up to Axl and he makes it fair for everyone to get their parts in.

I do think that band members would choose themselves who plays the solos, licks and all, not Axl. I feel that they aren't going to compete with each other and I do believe that this didn't happen when Robin and Bucket were recording Chinese. It'll probably be a matter of 'Heeey, Dj, I got this cool solo idea... let's see if it fits the song, cool?', or 'Ron, this solo would fit the song you wrote, check it out...'. I don't know how that works, but since it's how things work live I guess it'd be the same in the studio. Ron, Dj and Richard all mentioned that it's more like 'Hey, wanna play this solo?' and 'Can I play this one?', so that's probably how they'll work things out in the studio.

I wonder what the solos for Shacklers and Scraped sounded like? I know Ron would not touch the outro to TWAT as he feels it is the best on the album. I guess something did not seem right to him as Riad and Catcher so he recorded new solos.

I am hoping DJ wouldn't touch some of Robins better work. I also hope Fortus will have moments to shine.

Ron is one of the only virtuoso guitarists I can think of that can play unbelievably fast but still make an awesome bluesy solo. Sometimes guys who are all technically end up making even a loose, bluesy solo sound too precise as well. Ron is able to capture nearly any feel in any style of music which is why I really think he's one of the best guitarists around.

Agreed I am tired of everyone saying virtuosos have no emotion. Ron has a lot of emotion.

Indeed. Unfortunately for Ron, many people just know him for "Guitars Suck" so they think that's all he does when in reality he's got stuff like the Abnormal and Normal albums which are filled when great songs, awesome vocals, and killer guitar solos.

On a slightly off topic note, I personally love Guitars Suck. It has a compositional element to it similar to a classical or baroque piano exercise, except on guitar.

Buckets TWAT solo is great and I love it, but solos like Shacklers and TIL are a step ahead imo. They're totally different from other solos while Buckets has a lot of killswitch and repetitive patterns. Even Catcher outro solo sounds better to me and partially because it didnt sound like I've heard it before. Buckets TWAT as great as it is sounds like a lot of his licks put together and a few beautiful notes/shredding added. I said that because I've heard a lot of his solo work, his work with Guns, Primus, etc and I recognize most of his shredding patterns - the abuse of the killswitch, Shawn Lane-like shredding, Gilberts licks and so on.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

I can see your point.

You know that high pitch slide sound in the Better chorus? I wondered if that was Ron using his thimble? I would love he used it extensively in future songs if he hasnt already.

Personally I would not mind if a lot of Buckethead solos were replaced on the next album by Ron if he feels it fits the song better. I am certain Ashba is more likely to replace some of Fincks stuff but I hope he will show mercy on the best ones. Of all previous guitarists he shows the least respect for Finck even if he doesn't mean it that way. He just wants to make them sound better live.