[SPOILER ALERT] Iron Maiden - Maiden England 2012 Tour

Powerage5

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope they do Phantom.

BTW P5, you said on Facebook they were soundchecking your single favorite Maiden song. What is It? Phantom?

Yes! In a bit of a hurry to get to the pub, but Maiden's full setlist:

Moonchild

Can I Play With Madness

The Prisoner

2 Minutes To Midnight

Afraid To Shoot Strangers

The Trooper

Number Of The Beast

Phantom Of The Opera

Run To The Hills

Wasted Years

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

The Clairvoyant

Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden

---

Aces High

The Evil That Men Do

Running Free

Obviously, some huge surprises, least of all not being the exclusion of Hallowed for the first time ever. Sorry to be brief, but we think we know where Janick is drinking ;)

No Hallowed? Shocking. Love that they are closing with Running Free, and are playing Phantom.

Running Free is my favorite closer they have, so I'm glad it held over from TFF :D

fuck im actually really bummed with that set... no hallowed??? or dance of death (which i like)

ive never seen em before this will be my first show

It's a history tour...that means zero chance of anything recent. Trust me, Dance Of Death isn't that exciting live :tongue2:

Obviously, the exclusion of Hallowed is a huge deal though!

Phew, okay, best 6 hours of sleep I ever got. Let's see how many details I can cover in 10 mins. First things first, Alice's setlist:

Black Widow

Brutal Planet

I'm Eighteen

No More Mr. Nice Guy

Hey Stoopid

Orianthi Guitar Solo

I'll Bite Your Face Off

Feed My Frankenstein

Poison

Wicked Young Man

Killer

I Love The Dead

School's Out/ Another Brick

Alice's stageshow was nearly identical to 2011; only major differences are a few more dead body props and the snake now comes out during Nice Guy. This was my first time seeing Ryan Roxie with Alice - he's already one of my favorite guitarists Alice has ever had. I'll admit I'm slightly disappointed in the setlist (Our first time ever seeing Alice without Under My Wheels!), but I can't complain about seeing my 2 favorite bands share the bill! From Alice, I got a Ryan Roxie pick, a Tommy Henrikson pick, and Ryan Roxie's setlist B)

Maiden was, well, Maiden. Incredible stage show, incredible setlist (Even despite it being the first show ever without Hallowed), and just an amazing gig all-around. UFO's Doctor Doctor is the lead-in music as usual, which cued in about 8:50. Intro video was of icebergs (Like on the Maiden England video), with an orchestral excerpt I'm not familiar with, this segued right into the tape intro of Moonchild. First time seeing Moonchild as an opener, and fuck me it's a great way to start a gig! The stage is essentially the Seventh Tour stage adapted to the skeleton they've been using since '03. The new drapes for the stage itself feature the Eddie ice sculptures from the Seventh Son era artwork, though it has a few newer Eddies on it (Maiden England, Somewhere Back In Time, etc.). TONS of pyro also, probably the most pyro they've ever used in a show before! Was really taken by surprise, and to be honest underwhelmed, by Madness as the follow-up. Really wish it had been The Evil That Men Do instead like '88. The Prisoner is one of my absolute favorite Maiden songs ever, and I actually got a little teary-eyed finally getting to see that one live! Very well may be the highlight of the set IMO. 2 Minutes kind of caught me off-guard, really didn't think they'd do it this year. No complaints though, as it's consistently one of the best classics they play. Bruce did his little talking bit next, this tour it's all about how much has changed since 1988 (By the way, he's back in somewhat normal clothes and no hat!).

I'll update more later...gotta get ready for the long drive home. I'll have some pics to put up tonight ;)

FUCK ME!! Can't wait till next month. :thumbsup: Thanks for the details. A bit disappointed Alice doesn't do Halo Of Flies. (My favorite Cooper song) Wasn't really expecting it though.

No room in the set, the way the band currently plays it, its about 13 minutes long. Alice only did 55 mins.

FUCK ME!! Can't wait till next month. :thumbsup: Thanks for the details. A bit disappointed Alice doesn't do Halo Of Flies. (My favorite Cooper song) Wasn't really expecting it though.

No room in the set, the way the band currently plays it, its about 13 minutes long. Alice only did 55 mins.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't expecting it. Also I just realized no Infinite Dreams, One of my favorite Maiden tunes, Oh well Phantom makes up for that. Sounds like a great show.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't expecting it. Also I just realized no Infinite Dreams, One of my favorite Maiden tunes, Oh well Phantom makes up for that. Sounds like a great show.

Yea, I was a little surprised surprised by no Infinite Dreams also.

VERY surprising, but pleasing, to see Afraid To Shoot Strangers back in the mix. On the whole, it's solid, a really good mix of stuff, though a shame to see no Still Life or Infinite Dreams. I'm amazed that Nicko agreed to play a set without Hallowed though!

Really hope I get to see them in the UK next year.

thanks for the review powerage, glad you had a good show!

i know its a history tour, and the set is actually pretty awesome. im just bummed hallowed isnt in there. i hope its added for detroit lol. seeing as i havent seen them before, and that its my favorite maiden song i would be a little miffed without it haha

I'll do a part 2 of my review (with pics) when I get home tonight...takes too long to type all that on my phone.

Unless Hallowed gets added for Atlanta tomorrow, I think it's out for the tour. The simple fix as far as I'm concerned is drop Fear for Hallowed. I can't say it has no place in the set seeing as they're doing Afraid too, but it's time to give it a break; it sounds less and less inspired every year.

I'd also like to see them re-order the setlist a bit. Concensus seems to be the middle of the show that was all the classics was somewhat dull, and Phantom didn't break that up enough.

Okay, continuing on with my review:

So Bruce did his little rant about 1988, leading into Afraid To Shoot Strangers - the first of the huge surprises of the night. Obviously, I didn't expect anything post-Seventh Son except Fear Of The Dark obviously, and ATSS was even more welcome since last night was Adrian's first time playing it live! :D Next up, The Trooper. It's a classic, and one of the ones I could never get sick of at that. Bruce was in his usual get-up for it. Number Of The Beast followed. Normally, I'd say I could do without it, but on a pyro-heavy tour, it really does have a place in the set. Phantom Of The Opera followed next, with an intro tape of the organ music from Phantom Of The Opera. Kinda cheesy, but I could care less since Maiden is finally playing my favorite song live again! B) Phantom is such a killer live song, I truly believe it should be played on every tour. Run To The Hills was next, and meh. I guess I can't complain since I've only seen it 3 times, but I can assure you it'll be as old as FOTD for me by the end of the tour. The first Eddie made it's appearance here; the walk on Eddie is dressed up as General Custer, complete with hat and sword. Not the best Eddie, but not the worst either.

Wasted Years was a mini surprise, of course I knew it was a possibility, but I'm glad it made the cut...always a great live tune! Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is the centerpiece of the set. Every Maiden tour has a centerpiece; Seventh Son, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, When The Wild Wind Blows, Sign Of The Cross, etc. And what a centerpiece Seventh Son is! It is arguably the most difficult song Maiden has played live, and it definitely showed last night...not the tightest performance. Nicko fucked up in a few spots, the soft interlude was a little off, and Bruce struggled with the "Oh-oh"s that follow each verse. That being said, I know it will be back up to speed in a couple gigs time, and it was absolutely worth a less-than-perfect performance to see the first live rendition in 24 years! The second Eddie made his appearance here; the prophet Eddie, complete with the candles that burned throughout the entire instrumental section. Michael Kenney (Steve's bass tech) resumed his role as the phantom behind the organ, a la Maiden England. The Clairvoyant caught me off-guard - I'd been counting the songs and expected Fear next. Not much to say about that one - sounds as good as in '08. Fear Of The Dark followed, and everyone probably knows by now how I feel about that song :sleeper: Iron Maiden saw the return of the iceberg props from Maiden England, and, more importantly, the big Eddie. Based on the Seventh Son album cover, Eddie turns side-to-side as the unborn fetus in the womb tries to claw it's way out. Eddie's head finally lights on fire near the end of the song. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best Eddie ever.

They pulled the backdrop for Aces High, and I literally thought it was some kind of sick joke. Then Churchill's Speech started, into the pre-recorded intro, and the band came back onstage for a song I genuinely never expect them to play again. Aces High is classic Maiden, there's nothing that can be said about this song live that isn't apparent from Live After Death and Flight 666. The Evil That Men Do was the middle song of the encore, and I had actually kind of not expected it at this point in the show. It's always been my favorite "hit", and it's a lot of fun live. Just as I was taken aback that they did Running Free as opposed to Run To The Hills in 2010, I was exponentially more so taken aback when they broke into Running Free rather than Hallowed last night. All the FC members on the barrier just had this "what the fuck is going on?" look on our faces. Despite the fact that Hallowed is (Currently) missing from the set, I'm glad they kept Running Free as it's my favorite closer for a Maiden gig. They left the stage lights on for at least 3 or 4 minutes after Running Free, and we were all convinced they were doing a second encore of Hallowed. But it wasn't to be, and as such Maiden played their first ever gig (Since it's writing obviously) without Hallowed Be Thy Name :(

I'll post a little wrap-up on my thoughts tomorrow, but now for the goodies...a few pics ;)

Rushing the stage - into Moonchild

598500_388621824533390_530496183_n.jpg

550458_388621847866721_522634352_n.jpg

550378_388621867866719_1784279697_n.jpg

282659_388621901200049_1112197708_n.jpg

270888_388621927866713_126366542_n.jpg

481301_388621974533375_78050545_n.jpg

Great review. Thanks. And amazing pics. :thumbsup:

I'm sooooo getting pumped now. three weeks to go. What time is the meet up in Toronto?

I'm gonna send you, Zint, Gunsguy, etc. all a group message with the info later today ;)

Sounds good. Thanks.