[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome review! Nice to have an outlook at the microphone situation. Sounds like Dave didn't miss a beat even though he was obviously pissed.

I'm sure some are hoping the headset stays broken. :lol:

Yeah, you can imagine, first his headset keeps cutting out and reportedly the crew doing very little to try and help...and then during the song they finally hand him a wireless mic that doesn't work. :lol:

So then he has to run to the front of the stage to grab a wired mic. No wonder he was so pissed.

It is interesting that Dave isn't working the stage as much as he did on the last tour, maybe the wear and tear from martial arts and jumping around all these years caught up to him. That last tour was more about getting a lot of the old songs played live again, and I think it was pretty close to doing the songs in chronological order, even though they'd jump back and forth on a couple of songs. But a 25 song setlist is more than people got back in the day.

Everyone knows they took too long to reunite. Had they done this back in '98, age wouldn't have been an issue then. But the fact that they're even together and put new music out is still hard to believe. There's nothing to criticize. They don't have to be doing this, they all have enough money.

But if this is their last tour, it's a good one to go out on. If they don't record any more new music, it's a good loose end they tied up. Whatever feud existed between Ed and Dave, they've put that aside. It sounds like they get along as good now as they did when they started working together. I don't think it's just about the money, but they had a friendship, knew each others' parents, hung out even when they weren't working together, but once it got big, so did the egos. I think they all appreciate what they have more now than they did back then. Will they ever be great friends though? No. Mick and Keith won't, either. They have history, but because you know you've gone in completely different directions as people, it's kind of hard to reconnect on that level. Some do though.

Good post. Everything we get at this point is gravy. Too bad all the money now in touring 'cause personally, as much as I dig catching a live show, I'd be more than willing to sacrifice touring and just have them concentrate on knocking out a couple more studio albums while Dave's voice is able. Ultimately, ADTOK gonna be with us alot longer, and provide alot more pleasure than any show(s). Shit, just capture one of these on DVD/Blu-Ray and I'm set. :thumbsup:

Hopefully Sammy's totally burned bridges with EVH with all the comments about Satch being the better player, etc., 'cause that would be a huge letdown(for me) if they ditched Dave and went with a future Van Hagar tour. As you said, even if they do nothing more after this record and tour, it's a hell of satisfying bookend and closure for alot of us that we never thought we'd get...

VH did record the last tour, if they weren't going to continue, they would have released it.

I always felt with Balance, that was a good way for Sam to leave VH. The 2004 songs were pretty much filler, they're not songs Sam does live with his own band anyway. But to me, VH prob. wouldn't have survived the 80s without him, or came out with something people would have bought in 91. Balance seemed to show they were losing their fanbase a bit, and the reunion in 98 with Dave would've been perfect timing, after a half decade of bands that sucked the fun out of the room and brought the cynicism to the table, people just wanted something fun by that time. But then VH did III, which just showed them as an old band following the herd. Great live show with Cherone, but fans were so pissed the reunion fell apart at that point, and Ed's comments at the time didn't help.

It is interesting that Dave isn't working the stage as much as he did on the last tour, maybe the wear and tear from martial arts and jumping around all these years caught up to him. That last tour was more about getting a lot of the old songs played live again, and I think it was pretty close to doing the songs in chronological order, even though they'd jump back and forth on a couple of songs. But a 25 song setlist is more than people got back in the day.

Everyone knows they took too long to reunite. Had they done this back in '98, age wouldn't have been an issue then. But the fact that they're even together and put new music out is still hard to believe. There's nothing to criticize. They don't have to be doing this, they all have enough money.

But if this is their last tour, it's a good one to go out on. If they don't record any more new music, it's a good loose end they tied up. Whatever feud existed between Ed and Dave, they've put that aside. It sounds like they get along as good now as they did when they started working together. I don't think it's just about the money, but they had a friendship, knew each others' parents, hung out even when they weren't working together, but once it got big, so did the egos. I think they all appreciate what they have more now than they did back then. Will they ever be great friends though? No. Mick and Keith won't, either. They have history, but because you know you've gone in completely different directions as people, it's kind of hard to reconnect on that level. Some do though.

Good post. Everything we get at this point is gravy. Too bad all the money now in touring 'cause personally, as much as I dig catching a live show, I'd be more than willing to sacrifice touring and just have them concentrate on knocking out a couple more studio albums while Dave's voice is able. Ultimately, ADTOK gonna be with us alot longer, and provide alot more pleasure than any show(s). Shit, just capture one of these on DVD/Blu-Ray and I'm set. :thumbsup:

Hopefully Sammy's totally burned bridges with EVH with all the comments about Satch being the better player, etc., 'cause that would be a huge letdown(for me) if they ditched Dave and went with a future Van Hagar tour. As you said, even if they do nothing more after this record and tour, it's a hell of satisfying bookend and closure for alot of us that we never thought we'd get...

VH did record the last tour, if they weren't going to continue, they would have released it.

I always felt with Balance, that was a good way for Sam to leave VH. The 2004 songs were pretty much filler, they're not songs Sam does live with his own band anyway. But to me, VH prob. wouldn't have survived the 80s without him, or came out with something people would have bought in 91. Balance seemed to show they were losing their fanbase a bit, and the reunion in 98 with Dave would've been perfect timing, after a half decade of bands that sucked the fun out of the room and brought the cynicism to the table, people just wanted something fun by that time. But then VH did III, which just showed them as an old band following the herd. Great live show with Cherone, but fans were so pissed the reunion fell apart at that point, and Ed's comments at the time didn't help.

Good post. It's funny looking back on some of the songs Ed said about both Dave and Sammy during that period. I know he wanted to (and had to) show that there was a lot of faith in Cherone to sell that notion that they could still pull it off with their third lead singer, but some of the things he said about Sammy and Dave were kind of out there. There's one interview where he says that "Going back to Dave would have insulted the band, insulted the fans, and would be a step backwards" or something to that extent. Paraphrased of course. Strong words considering how things panned out for the band later on. I'm glad we have happy Ed back now.

I agree on the live show being great with Cherone. Good set list and it must have been nice for the fans to hear so many Dave songs again after much of that material was avoided with Sammy.

Good post. It's funny looking back on some of the songs Ed said about both Dave and Sammy during that period. I know he wanted to (and had to) show that there was a lot of faith in Cherone to sell that notion that they could still pull it off with their third lead singer, but some of the things he said about Sammy and Dave were kind of out there. There's one interview where he says that "Going back to Dave would have insulted the band, insulted the fans, and would be a step backwards" or something to that extent. Paraphrased of course. Strong words considering how things panned out for the band later on. I'm glad we have happy Ed back now.

I agree on the live show being great with Cherone. Good set list and it must have been nice for the fans to hear so many Dave songs again after much of that material was avoided with Sammy.

You have to remember, this was right after KISS reunited, and they were comparing KISS to VH. But the thing that these bands don't realize is, the demand to see the reunion isn't coming from their old school fans. Those fans already saw them back in the day. 90 percent of people wanting reunions, never saw the band together.

Whenever I hear any musician talk about nostalgia tours and cash grabs, they don't GET the reunion is NOT being stirred up by the old school fans. They need to really find out the demographic of who's wanting the reunions to happen. I guarantee very few are over 30.

Damn, sounds like the Boys 1st MSG show tonight totally KILLED. rock3

===========

VAN HALEN | FEBRUARY 29, 2012

Van Halen erupts at Madison Square Garden

Elliot Levin

Rock n’ roll Hall of Famers Van Halen packed Madison Square Garden to capacity last night, delivering a crushing set of radio staples and guitar histrionics for a rowdy crowd of fans.

The 2012 Van Halen tour had a lot of hype to live up to - an invite only club show at Cafe Wha?, major media interviews, and a number of dress rehearsals for friends and family gave strong hints of a reinvigorated Eddie Van Halen and a happy and eager David Lee Roth, two men whose pasts have been... acrimonious, to say the least. But even with overall positive reactions to new album A Different Kind of Truth, fans would need to see it to believe it, and last night Mr. Roth and the Van Halen brothers threw down for a rocking Garden show that blew away the front rows and echoed all the way up to the nosebleeds.

Madison Square Garden has undergone some major renovations since this Examiner last visited, and well-lit, sparkling clean escalators, passageways, and concession stands made the World’s Most Famous Arena feel new and refreshed for longtime visitors. The same could be said for Van Halen, who hit the stage right around 9pm with the distinctive opening riff to You Really Got Me Now. Eddie, David, Alex and Eddie’s son Wolfgang all looked clean cut and bright-eyed, professional rock stars to the max as they kicked off with the guitar shrills, yelps, and thundering energy that helped jumpstart the heavy metal movement some 35 years ago.

A massive video screen stretched the length of the stage, alternating between live shots of the band and prerecorded footage, but that was the only significant production extravagance of the night. Otherwise, the show was purely about the four musicians dominating the 20,000 capacity arena with their larger-than-life music and stage presence. Diamond Dave may be well into his 50s, but the frontman rocked tight, shimmery costumes as he paraded around the stage, winking at the audience and dancing around his bandmates. His movements showed only a hint of stiffness, and his vocals soared with a rich, crisp bite that sounded just as good as his 30 year old recordings. Playing against him was Eddie’s distinctive guitar tones, a combination of lead, rhythm, and overdriven six string magic that blasted throughout the arena, keeping fans on their feet for most of the night.

The band worked through a well-chosen setlist, sandwiching new songs Tattoo and She’s The Woman between classics like Runnin’ With The Devil and Everybody Wants Some. Roth was his usual bombastic self, telling the crowd about his tattoos and ad-libbing during musical interludes with the confidence of a frontman used to handling arenas audiences. White balloons gently bounced around the crowd from the very start of the show, and Roth practically made an art form out of posing for the camera and kicking balloons off stage right in the pocket of the musical groove.

While the Internet age has made setlists easily accessible before the show, even knowing what songs were coming didn’t quite compare to actually hearing tracks like Somebody Get Me A Doctor performed in all its glory. The energy between David and Eddie is something that truly has to be seen live, and no matter what may have gone down in the past, there is no denying the chemistry between those two on an open, amplified stage. Roth’s charismatic dancing and high range singing complements Eddie’s tasteful, yet raunchy guitar playing in a way that screams “classy rock n’ roll debauchery.”

Also fascinating to watch was the interaction between the three veterans and Wolfgang Van Halen, the 20 year old bassist filling Michael Anthony’s four string shoes. Wolfgang provided backup vocals along with his father throughout the night, and it was genuinely heartwarming to see and hear the pair crooning together. Even more enjoyable was watching David Lee Roth gently teasing Wolfgang during their cover of Pretty Woman, tapping him on opposite shoulders and cavorting around like a proud uncle. Van Halen has always been a family affair, but the inclusion of Wolfgang into their ranks injects an odd freshness that somehow feels just right.

Rounding out the foursome, of course, was drummer Alex Van Halen, the older and perhaps quieter of the Van Halens, but no less critical to the night’s spectacular performance. Alex jammed through a brilliant drum solo that should stand as a lesson to all skinmen given the spotlight - a perfect mix of moderation, variety, and rhythm that slowly but surely built to a bombastic climax without ever losing its edge or interest.

The latter half of the show dove into a few more requisite new songs and deeper cuts, though the band did a slick job of mixing them together with hits like Unchained and Dance the Night Away. I’ll Wait seemed like a good time for a beer run and rock music personality Eddie Trunk seemed to think so too, as this reviewer crossed paths with him twice in the concourse. But the staccato drumbeats and fiery libido of Hot For Teacher brought the energy right back up to top level, where it would stay until Roth slowed things down for Ice Cream Man, which he started solo on an acoustic guitar before the rest of the band broke in for a heavy metal finish.

But the peak of the night, as could be expected, was Eddie Van Halen’s stand alone guitar solo. The lightening fast, overhanded doubletapping frenzy arguably launched a generation of copycats, and Eddie presented his ode to shredding with a tasteful romp through sizzling leads and echoing arpeggios. Sprawled on the edge of the drum riser, the guitarist seemed like he was comfortably lounged in his own living room jamming in solitude, if not for the screaming, cheering fans that roared in approval with each new phrase. The applause reached its apex of the entire concert when Eddie raced down the fretboard to wrap up with Eruption’s iconic whammy dives, squealing and grinding into an impossible high pitched yet sludgy finish.

Two radio stalwarts would end the night, with Panama leading into Jump without the typical break that precedes an encore. The rowdy crowd sang along, and Jump saw Roth breaking out his signature high kicks, which had made only a handful of appearances until then. Blasts of confetti accompanied the final chorus of Jump, and just like that, it was all over save for the ringing in the ears.

A light sprinkling of flaws marked an otherwise impeccable performance; Roth momentarily forgot the lyrics on new song China Town, and technical difficulties forced him to ditch his hands-free headset for a traditional microphone. It also would’ve been nice to hear more standalone guitar work from Eddie, the man synonymous with the electric guitar solo. And fans who were expecting high energy jumps and kicks from either David or Eddie got just enough to whet their appetites, a far cry from the once-acrobatic Roth in particular.

But given the high production values and explosive song choices, it’s hard to criticize the night’s performance as a whole. Not only did Van Halen deliver a hard-rocking set full of hits for their sold out audience, they did so with smiles on their faces that could only be described as euphoric. It’s great to hear your favorite songs, but it’s even better when you can clearly see the performers enjoying themselves as much as you are. If Van Halen was once the posterchild for band acrimony and bad blood, the current reunion with Roth serves as a reminder that music is greater than the sum of its wholes, and something that can bring even once bitter enemies back together as friends.

There’s no clear consensus on how old is too old for rock n’ roll - Robert Plant and his bandmates in Led Zeppelin seem to be around that stage, even as groups like KISS and The Scorpions regularly rotate in and out of retirement. But as the three original members of Van Halen charge towards their sixties, they’re doing so with the same powerhouse energy that’s been blasting out of radios, car stereos, and amplifier stacks for 35 years, and if anything, this tour and new album has reinvigorated the group to a new high. (The same could be said for Van Halen alumni Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar over in Chickenfoot, but that’s a different story.)

Van Halen returns to MSG on Thursday for another sold out show, and anyone who skipped last night’s performance would do well to hop on Stubhub or Craiglist to buy their way in. This show is simply too damn good for any self-respecting rock fan to miss.

http://www.examiner.com/hard-rock-music-in-new-york/van-halen-erupts-at-madison-square-garden-review

Edited by Turn_It_Up

VH continuing to make tweaks to setlist. Here's tonight's MSG gig with Unchained now the opener and The Full Bug added:

1. Unchained

2. Runnin' With The Devil

3. She's The Woman

4. The Full Bug

5. Tattoo

6. Everybody Wants Some!!

7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor

8. China Town

9. Hear About It Later

10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman

11. Alex's Drum Solo

12. You Really Got Me

13. The Trouble With Never

14. Dance The Night Away

15. I'll Wait

16. Hot For Teacher

17. Women In Love

18. Outta Love Again

19. Beautiful Girls

20. Ice Cream Man

21. Panama

22. Eddie's Guitar Solo

23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

24. Jump

Really enjoyed the show last night. Much better than '07 IMO. I was disappointed they only did 4 new songs though, I'd love to see You And Your Blues live. Otherwise though, really great blend of hits, deep album cuts, and new songs.

Nice meeting you there! :thumbsup:

I was a little disappointed that they went back to You Really Got Me as the opener, not that it really matters but I thought Unchained was a nice change of pace for a while. That's a minor complaint though. For my first Van Halen show I really can't complain. Worth every penny! Eddie was on fire, Alex nailed it, Wolfgang made me forget Michael Anthony was ever in the band, and Dave sounded phenomenal. You could tell they were having a hell of a time on stage!

I was ten rows back on the floor, Eddie's side, so I spent most of the night watching him and Dave.

I would have liked at least Blood & Fire and You and Your Blues, but China Town and The Trouble With Never worked very well live. The rest of the set made up for it and I suppose four new songs isn't that bad. Only one less of the new songs than AC/DC did, for example. Hear About It Later and Women in Love were absolutely awesome live, though. Glad they pulled these back!

No headset again. Another plus!

Dave kind of messed up on Hot For Teacher. He was busy throwing candy out to the crowd and didn't have the mic ready so he motioned to the band to loop the verse again. He then did a typical Dave ramble over the second verse about him and Eddie getting kicked out of school together. Probably one of the best versions I've ever heard of the song for the sheer spontaneous nature of it.

Jump was kind of funny because Dave was grabbing onto Eddie and Eddie was trying to break away so he could come in on the guitar in time. :lol:

I'd say the second half of the show was the real highlight for me. From about Dance The Night Away on the energy really picked up. I must say the crowd was great! Met some really cool people by me, including some guy dressed as Elvis. :rofl-lol:

The setlist was awesome though, very well organized. Song after song there tons of energy all the way through. The transitions were great. I even enjoyed Pretty Woman. ;)

Overall, awesome show. Even though I've been regularly posting in this thread I've tried to avoid it for the last few shows to really get me in the mood. I'm glad I did, because I totally forgot I'll Wait was still in the set list, and man did Dave sound great on that one! Nice surprise.

You Really Got Me

Runnin' With the Devil

She's The Woman

Romeo Delight

Tattoo

Everybody Wants Some

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town

Hear About It Later

Pretty Woman

Alex Solo

Unchained

The Trouble with Never

Dance The Night Away

I'll Wait

Hot For Teacher

Women In Love

Girl Gone Bad

Beautiful Girls

Ice Cream Man

Panama

Eddie Solo

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

Really enjoyed the show last night. Much better than '07 IMO. I was disappointed they only did 4 new songs though, I'd love to see You And Your Blues live. Otherwise though, really great blend of hits, deep album cuts, and new songs.

Nice meeting you there! :thumbsup:

I was a little disappointed that they went back to You Really Got Me as the opener, not that it really matters but I thought Unchained was a nice change of pace for a while. That's a minor complaint though. For my first Van Halen show I really can't complain. Worth every penny! Eddie was on fire, Alex nailed it, Wolfgang made me forget Michael Anthony was ever in the band, and Dave sounded phenomenal. You could tell they were having a hell of a time on stage!

I was ten rows back on the floor, Eddie's side, so I spent most of the night watching him and Dave.

I would have liked at least Blood & Fire and You and Your Blues, but China Town and The Trouble With Never worked very well live. The rest of the set made up for it and I suppose four new songs isn't that bad. Only one less of the new songs than AC/DC did, for example. Hear About It Later and Women in Love were absolutely awesome live, though. Glad they pulled these back!

No headset again. Another plus!

Dave kind of messed up on Hot For Teacher. He was busy throwing candy out to the crowd and didn't have the mic ready so he motioned to the band to loop the verse again. He then did a typical Dave ramble over the second verse about him and Eddie getting kicked out of school together. Probably one of the best versions I've ever heard of the song for the sheer spontaneous nature of it.

Jump was kind of funny because Dave was grabbing onto Eddie and Eddie was trying to break away so he could come in on the guitar in time. :lol:

I'd say the second half of the show was the real highlight for me. From about Dance The Night Away on the energy really picked up. I must say the crowd was great! Met some really cool people by me, including some guy dressed as Elvis. :rofl-lol:

The setlist was awesome though, very well organized. Song after song there tons of energy all the way through. The transitions were great. I even enjoyed Pretty Woman. ;)

Overall, awesome show. Even though I've been regularly posting in this thread I've tried to avoid it for the last few shows to really get me in the mood. I'm glad I did, because I totally forgot I'll Wait was still in the set list, and man did Dave sound great on that one! Nice surprise.

You Really Got Me

Runnin' With the Devil

She's The Woman

Romeo Delight

Tattoo

Everybody Wants Some

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

China Town

Hear About It Later

Pretty Woman

Alex Solo

Unchained

The Trouble with Never

Dance The Night Away

I'll Wait

Hot For Teacher

Women In Love

Girl Gone Bad

Beautiful Girls

Ice Cream Man

Panama

Eddie Solo

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Jump

Same man, hope to see you again soon...maybe at Maiden! ;)

Now that I've gone back and looked at the other setlists, I am actually a little bummed they didn't open with Unchained. It's one of my favorites, and I've never really thought about it as a potential opener, so now I'm really curious. Fingers crossed for Toronto!

I think all the new songs sounded pretty good live, but The Trouble With Never was easily my least favorite of the bunch. I'd much rather see You And Your Blues, Blood And Fire, or Big River. Tattoo sounds so much better live!

Same man, hope to see you again soon...maybe at Maiden! ;)

Now that I've gone back and looked at the other setlists, I am actually a little bummed they didn't open with Unchained. It's one of my favorites, and I've never really thought about it as a potential opener, so now I'm really curious. Fingers crossed for Toronto!

I think all the new songs sounded pretty good live, but The Trouble With Never was easily my least favorite of the bunch. I'd much rather see You And Your Blues, Blood And Fire, or Big River. Tattoo sounds so much better live!

That's what I was talking about when I mentioned a different opener that I was hoping they'd use, but of course, I didn't want to spoil it in case. ;)

I'll keep you posted about Maiden! :thumbsup:

Agreed about the new songs. Tattoo has way more energy live, and Eddie changed the solo just a bit for the better (and it was already a great solo to begin with). I would have loved to hear Blood and Fire and You and Your Blues but I've liked China Town from the first time I heard it and I've grown to really like The Trouble With Never.

Edited: Took out the long quote to keep this clean. :lol:

Edited by Paul Stanley

Posted this in the spoiler-free topic, but figured I'd post it here too in case anyone isn't reading both topics:

Thought I'd post this here for anyone going to a show soon. I'm having trouble finding an "official" source for this, but everyone on taping forums seem to be talking about it. The band has a very loose policy on cameras this tour; apparently professional photo/video cameras are allowed! I stealth taped audio for Buffalo (Which will be on Dime maybe tonight, but probably tomorrow), and now fingers crossed the ACC will comply with VH's camera/taping policy so I can take my D-SLR and a nice 500mm lens to shoot from the upper bowl ;)