[SPOILER ALERT] Van Halen 2012 tour discussion

Turn_It_Up

I wasn't going to bother trying to sneek anything in if I go,cuz I'm just feeling too shitty to worry about it.

But if I can take this little device that records in 1080p...well god damn if I'm not going to try it out! B)

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little late, but man was the Boston show great. I'll admit I was lost when they played Hang 'Em High (as was my friend - we both said something to the effect of "I don't know this song, but it's awesome"), but it's still real cool to see that they're pulling out some deep cuts for the diehards. It was just awesome to finally see them live for the first time after trying really hard and failing to to see them last time around. Highlights for me were Unchained, Everybody Wants Some!!, and Panama. Wish I could be up in Manchester tonight!

ALL still photography is permitted for Toronto...guess I'm bringing my D-SLR and my 500 mm lens! :D

Cool news...what's the info source?

This is for sure?

It's on the Air Canada Centre's website. Video is okay too :thumbsup:

Very cool. I wish I had a decent camera! Oh well, snapshots will have to do. I only took a couple in Buffalo because I wanted to focus completely on the show, but I'll probably do more this time around.

Video means we might get a decent bootleg too! :thumbsup:

If Dave sounds even half as good as he did in Buffalo this should be a great show.

Most people I've talked to that went to Buffalo were disappointed, particularly in Dave. Had at least half a dozen people tell me he's the weak link in the band right now...IMO, there isn't a weak link ;)

I agree with you there. :thumbsup:

Wolf and Alex are super tight, Eddie is doing his best playing since the Balance tour, and aside from a bad note here or there, Dave is on fire. I thought he sounded very strong in Buffalo. Better than the 2007/2008 bootlegs I have.

I wasn't going to bother trying to sneek anything in if I go,cuz I'm just feeling too shitty to worry about it.

But if I can take this little device that records in 1080p...well god damn if I'm not going to try it out! B)

i took a LOT of videos with my cellphone that records in HD (it's either 720p or 1080p). i hadn't watched any of them until earlier today because i was drunk at the concert and forgot i took them, but the quality is solid. would upload them to youtube but don't have an account. it's funny because a couple times during them i just shout, "DAVID LEE FUCKIN' ROTH!!" like an asshole.

i'm not sure if i mentioned this in the other thread but the older woman standing in front of me was quite short and was at the concert with her daughter. she told me she had been a fan for 30 years and bought every album but never been to a show, but she couldn't see shit because everyone was so tall in front of her, and she was desperately trying to find a way to see the stage. the bouncer by the stairs - who was probably in his 60s - wouldn't let her stand on her seat. i went up to him during the opening song and said i didn't care if she stood on the seat in front of me and like a total asshole he basically told me "she paid for a floor ticket, no standing - go back to your seat." i was already drunk so i said something dickish to him. i just felt bad for the woman.

Edited by Estranged Reality

i'm not sure if i mentioned this in the other thread but the older woman standing in front of me was quite short and was at the concert with her daughter. she told me she had been a fan for 30 years and bought every album but never been to a show, but she couldn't see shit because everyone was so tall in front of her, and she was desperately trying to find a way to see the stage. the bouncer by the stairs - who was probably in his 60s - wouldn't let her stand on her seat. i went up to him during the opening song and said i didn't care if she stood on the seat in front of me and like a total asshole he basically told me "she paid for a floor ticket, no standing - go back to your seat." i was already drunk so i said something dickish to him. i just felt bad for the woman.

Yeah, I have felt that way too before. I went with a friend of mine to go see Motorhead and Megadeth and she couldn't see not one god damn thing until all the Motorhead fans in front of us left right before Megadeth. Such a shame, she didn't get to see much of Lemmy at all. It was the same story when we went to go see her favorite band in Chicago. I wish I could have given her my height for that one, because The Devil Wears Prada was such a chore to watch. Still upset I paid money for that one.

...found it

He's pulling an Axl. :lol:

I find it amusing how fast the band stops as soon as he says it.

Here's a bit better quality, from the VHND:

Why am I not the least bit surprised Dave had something to say about good looking women in that rant? :lol:

Gonna try and find Alex Lifeson's bar (And with any luck, Alex Lifeson)

Well if he starts drinking green beer with his son,you're in for a good show! :lol:

They don't open until 9 PM, so it's a no-go for tonight. We'll probably check it out when we're up for Maiden in July.

Awesome show! I'm not sure where I'd rank it compared to Buffalo. I think Dave was stronger vocally last night for the most part but there were a few moments in certain songs where I recalled Dave being stronger in Buffalo. I guess you could say Dave is staying pretty consistent this tour then! The band seemed even tighter and I think the performance itself was even a bit better. Pretty close though! The band is on fire. It was nice to have Unchained open and hear The Full Bug.

I was on the left floor 18 rows back and my section seemed pretty dead. A few people rocking out but not quite the craze I had expected for St. Patrick's day and a Saturday. It was nice seeing lots of people dressed up though, that was pretty cool! One short lady wearing a green hat a few rows up from me danced like crazy the whole show and never stopped. :lol:

I had to work so I got there just in time to see Kool & The Gang who I enjoyed a little more this time around.

I had a good time and it was definitely worth the extra money to go again. My favorite song last night was probably I'll Wait. I thought Dave nailed it.

Well we got Unchained for the opener..that was cool!

Surprinsgly..Pretty Woman worked for me,they did a good job on it.

The one that didn't work for me...at all...was Women In Love. :shrugs:

Funny, I really enjoy Women In Love, but Girl Gone Bad completely kills the momentum for me.

I think I enjoyed Buffalo more than Toronto. We were up in the 300's, towards the back of the arena...we can never seem to get good seats for VH. The sound at the ACC in the nosebleeds absolutely sucks. They've got that fucking wall in front of the section that comes down to about eye level and blocks a lot of the sound. All we could hear all night was the lower frequencies, and I really couldn't hear Dave at all. Even during Eddie's solo when it's unaccompanied, his playing was almost inaudible. I've been in some bad sounding venues before, but last night absolutely took the cake as the worst. I'm actually going to call tomorrow and complain, because it's just not fair to be charging $70 for nosebleed tickets in a place that sounds that bad.

On the setlist topic, I did like Unchained as the opener, but I didn't like YRGM mid-set. The Full Bug was cool too, but not at the expense of Romeo Delight (One of my favorites live).

I loooooved the show last night! I loved that they played my two favourite VH songs: Hear About It Later and Girl Gone Bad. Even if Dave forgot the lyrics to the latter haha. I'll Wait was a great performance. One of the highlights of the night also.

The band sounded extremely tight, and my section was fairly lively for the most part. Security caught four guys getting high and they were kicked out in the middle of the show haha.

All in all, an awesome night and one I won't forget :D